• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the military be able to advertise in our schools?

jmaster78

Ðanisty said:
No offense, but this is mostly crap. I don't know how you guys do it over there, but military training here does not strip away humanity and conscience to create killing machines. In fact, if that were the case, we wouldn't have anyone going awol. The military does need soldiers to be able to think. :yes:

well they don't train them to be flower arrangers! your entitled to your opinion, but i don't think you want to get into an argument about levels of professional in your army!this isn't the place, and with america's record for killing more allies and civilians than enemies i think that pretty much sums up your gunho mentality. as for the army wanting soldiers that think, i'm afraid your mistaken, what happens to the thinking soldier when he finds himself in the middle of a battlefield, with comrades getting cut to pieces all around him??? he runs! and the army doesn't want soldiers that run. They have officers to do the thinking from a safe distance. the army wants blank canvases from which to create their soldiers, which is impossible given the minimum age for joining the army, so they have to remove alot of what the person has already learned, and this tends to be the moral lessons, what will he do with the enemy soldier in his sights? not a statistic on a report, but a human being, somebody's son, maybe a husband or father. He hesitates, then someone kills him, and possibly half his unit!a soldier with compassion, concideration, guilt and regret is about as much use as a fart in a space suit!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Military recruiters are always present at my high school campus. They actively pursue upper-class men during lunch and give them packets full of information (phone number, URL address, pamphlet). Last year one came up to our table of mostly freshmen and sophomores and gave us (guys, not the girls) some papers and a DVD.

I don't want to sound rude, but I recycled it after he was gone. :)

Personally, I don't like the idea of them going around to minors and selling the service like a product, especially when organizations like the Peace Corps. are completely absent.

If the military must advertise itself at schools, I don't think it should be approaching kids; kids should be approaching it.

Dr. Nosophoros

Sure, how else can they get impressionable youths in the corps unless they subject their minds when they are young and impressionable?

b26-2z.jpg

"Youth Serves the Fuhrer"

Bishka

Veteran Member
NetDoc said:
Now the kicker? All of this was MADE INTO LAW by Shrub in his 2002 Leave No Child Behind Act.

The WORST LAW EVER for our children and their education. This is one of the most ridiculous laws ever passed.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
beckysoup61 said:

The WORST LAW EVER for our children and their education. This is one of the most ridiculous laws ever passed.

It never ceases to amaze me the things that American people allow to pass into the law.

Just about all that stuff would be illegal here.

You certainly can't pass children's names and contact details to any one.

when they are 18 and register to vote their names are put on the local register of electors and that is it.

des

I teach in a low income high school and the recruiters are a constant presence. It is pretty impossible not to see them walking around in the halls or across campus. They are wearing camo which the kids see as cool (though I wonder exactly if the camo they are wearing will hide them from much ;-)). But I think they wear the camo precisely as the kids DO see this as cool. This is pretty well orchestrated, imo. Yes, the line in NCLeft Unrecruited does require kids in special ed to be brought up to recruiters, unless the parents opt out. Most parents don't know of this, of course.

I also hear ROTC and army careers pushed on kids in special ed meetings. "Well most of the kids that go into ROTC don't really go into the military, it's just a good experience for the kids" (Where are the stats on this one!?)
"How about the army? Would you like to go into the military when you get out of here?" (Though I have heard less of this this year.)

To many of the kids I work with the military has appeal as they think they will get money, training, etc. even though their skills may not be too great. I have seen surprising kids-- kids I would never expect that they would have an interest in this get into it. I understand the military has eased requirements to allow for special ed. kids entering the military.

I have seen 60 Minutes, etc. where they show what the military actually says to kids in high school. They emphasize the training and possible college. They tell the kids it is unlikely they would go to war. You have likely seen the ads, which emphasize training and education, not war. One appealing clean cut young man says, "They'll train me here until they need me.. It's the Army!" This is also aimed at mom and dad. ("No reason to worry mom, they're just training me".) "Get your free watch, hat, t-shirt, decoder ring, etc." (OTOH, they have a problem, an unpopular war and a PR nightmare, they have to do something!)

Yes, I take a dim view of this all.

--des

Bishka

Veteran Member
Terrywoodenpic said:
It never ceases to amaze me the things that American people allow to pass into the law.

Just about all that stuff would be illegal here.

You certainly can't pass children's names and contact details to any one.

when they are 18 and register to vote their names are put on the local register of electors and that is it.

I wish I was old enough to vote when it was passed.