• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Should we respect religions and the religious?"

BruceDLimber

>Should we respect religions and the religious?

This is even a QUESTION?!!

Ideally, we should respect EVERYONE!

Peace,

Bruce

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The nature of respect is usually mutual and the converse is also true. When one party shows little or no respect, the other party often follows suit!

However, respect is not automatic and that's OK. I would rather not have a sham or PC respect that cleverly disguises animosity or derision under a flimsy shell of pseudo acceptance. I have to admit that there are a few individuals whose very presence reeks of hate and intolerance and this causes me to show them NO respect from the get go.

gnomon

There is no sound reason to respect any belief just because a human being holds faith in it.

Booko

Deviled Hen
>Should we respect religions and the religious?

This is even a QUESTION?!!

Ideally, we should respect EVERYONE!

Um, Bruce, if a religion taught small babies should be toasted and eaten with yellow mustard, I'd have a very difficult time having "respect" for that.

I'm sure you see my point. ;)

Booko

Deviled Hen
There is no sound reason to respect any belief just because a human being holds faith in it.

No, but I generally respect a person's right to hold any belief, even ones I regard as absurd, as long as it isn't something that's terribly destructive, like genocide or oppression. Even then, I respect the person's right to believe in such things -- but not their right to act on them. ;)

Fluffy

A fool
ChristineES said:
Should we respect atheism and the Non-religious?;)

The extent to which a person does not believe in a god should afford that person the same amount of respect as the extent to which a person does believe in a god. This level of respect should also be equal to that given to people who believe in unicorns.

Its a person's actions that should result in a change in respect. Beliefs are irrelevant.

For example, I have less respect for people who openly slate those who believe in father christmas but not for those who merely believe that the latter is a position worthy of slating.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I for one would never ridicule any one for their beliefs, even if they believe in the tooth fairy and elves. You don't have to like everyone, but every person deserves respect until he does something totally inhumane, like killing people for fun, raping small children, and so on and so forth.
It is obvious that some of you don't realize what respect means, it does not mean you have accept someone's belief, but you have to accept that they have a different than yours.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I for one would never ridicule any one for their beliefs, even if they believe in the tooth fairy and elves. You don't have to like everyone, but every person deserves respect until he does something totally inhumane, like killing people for fun, raping small children, and so on and so forth.
It is obvious that some of you don't realize what respect means, it does not mean you have accept someone's belief, but you have to accept that they have a different than yours.

:clap

BruceDLimber

OK: I will stipulate a measure of common sense with all this. . . .

(But I think the "sin-covering eye" also applies.)

Peace,

Bruce

gnomon

No, but I generally respect a person's right to hold any belief, even ones I regard as absurd, as long as it isn't something that's terribly destructive, like genocide or oppression. Even then, I respect the person's right to believe in such things -- but not their right to act on them. ;)

Exactly. Respecting the right to believe is respecting the individual and not the person. I do recognize giving beliefs due consideration but whether or not it is respectful to dismiss such beliefs is usually open to interpretation. I for one rather think in terms of validity in regards to beliefs, religious or otherwise, rather than respect.