• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you lie in a job interview?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
One time, I had an interview where the interviewer asked me about my expected salary. I lied and said, "Double what I earn from my job on RF." I got a contract worth $0/year. They took what I said too literally and really gave me double what I earn here.
Does that include tips?

Secret Chief

Degrow!

I had one last week, and I didn't get hired. I have another today though. I'm applying for cooking positions.

I was honest with the last managers and told them "I am not the fastest anymore like I was when I was 18-19.". For whatever reason, they didn't hire me. Crowded job market down where I live.

Should I lie? Should I tell the interviewer that I can run around like a cracked out Energizer Bunny? Do I do whatever is necessary to get my foot in the door and then figure it out from there?

In school, they always said you had to "sell yourself" in job interviews. Does that mean lying? I tell the interviewers that I bring positive vibes to the table. That is very important in a kitchen, more important than being fast I believe. That's my selling point.

Do I tell them I'm fast as heck too?

Do you lie in interviews? If you interview people, have you had people over hype themselves up only for you to find out when they started working?
How went it?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
How went it?
It sure went. Your advice to think before speaking was helpful. I found that it helped me not interrupt the interviewer.

Interviewer seemed to like me and explained the job in detail. Other interviews the people seem eager to be over with it, so this one went well.

Tho she pointed at a thick stack of resumes and said she had a lot of interviews for the one position.

No exaggeration, I live in the worst unemployment rate area in the USA. At least during the hot summer unemployment is god awful. Even if you work, if you work a restaurant job you getting like 3 days a week of 5 hour shifts. Once fall hits it will be hiring season and I'll get hired for sure. Just don't want to wait that long lol ;-;

This job interview was to be a cook at a senior assisted living facility. I want to do that instead of working for another chain restaurant as I've done for the last six years.

wellwisher

I had one last week, and I didn't get hired. I have another today though. I'm applying for cooking positions.

I was honest with the last managers and told them "I am not the fastest anymore like I was when I was 18-19.". For whatever reason, they didn't hire me. Crowded job market down where I live.

Should I lie? Should I tell the interviewer that I can run around like a cracked out Energizer Bunny? Do I do whatever is necessary to get my foot in the door and then figure it out from there?

In school, they always said you had to "sell yourself" in job interviews. Does that mean lying? I tell the interviewers that I bring positive vibes to the table. That is very important in a kitchen, more important than being fast I believe. That's my selling point.

Do you lie in interviews? If you interview people, have you had people over hype themselves up only for you to find out when they started working?
Not volunteering negative information is not exactly lying. Not admitting, you are not as fast as when you were 19 years old is OK. However, if directly asked are you as fast as you were at 19, saying yes would be a lie. You would be better off use the line I have been cooking since 18-19 years old, as a testament to your experience. That implies what you lack in speed is offset by your wider experience. The idea is being positive, since negative raises yellow flags.

In other words, if someone said they were slower and got the job, that means the boss says you can slack since he accepted slower. If you say experience, he will expect more, which makes you a better employee; utility guy.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
It sure went. Your advice to think before speaking was helpful. I found that it helped me not interrupt the interviewer.

Interviewer seemed to like me and explained the job in detail. Other interviews the people seem eager to be over with it, so this one went well.

Tho she pointed at a thick stack of resumes and said she had a lot of interviews for the one position.

No exaggeration, I live in the worst unemployment rate area in the USA. At least during the hot summer unemployment is god awful. Even if you work, if you work a restaurant job you getting like 3 days a week of 5 hour shifts. Once fall hits it will be hiring season and I'll get hired for sure. Just don't want to wait that long lol ;-;

This job interview was to be a cook at a senior assisted living facility. I want to do that instead of working for another chain restaurant as I've done for the last six years.
When will you hear the outcome?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

You shouldn't lie. But you might want to think about a more strategic vocabulary.
You don't say "I'm slow". You say "I might not be the fastest in the team". You can also follow that up with a "but,...." and then say something positive about yourself.
You're not lying. You just don't talk negatively about yourself. Confidence and positive vibes.

Do you lie in interviews?

Never.

If you interview people, have you had people over hype themselves up only for you to find out when they started working?
I get people overhype themselves all the time and for the most part I can sniff them out. Follow up questions quickly reveal such things.
Once I made the mistake of hiring one of them. He got fired within the month during the probation period.

Some lies are worse then others off course, but it never is a good moment if and when it is found that. Especially not if the lie was part of the reason they hired you.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I am of the thought that there ae some certain circumstances where it is mildly ok to lie. I.E. do these pants make my butt look fat

I give a lustful look and say "Oh yes!". But then I rather like the "fuller figure". For some reason though, women seem to want a smaller butt despite the fact that it makes them less attractive to me. Odd that.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
Sometimes a little inaccuracy is worth a lot of explaining.

I list several programming languages I could realistically catch up on in a short time-frame as languages that I simply *know*.

I know that I can perform those skills when needed to rise to the opportunity - and I don't trust a non-technical interviewer to properly grasp how transferable my skills are and how quickly I can pick one up.

The downside of this is that I was once asked to write a program in an interview, and failed to do so. I'm fortunate that the technical interviewer was able to see that I had a clue about this stuff from pseudo-code, and I was transparent with him about my limitations. Got the job.

Hah, an example in my own field.

When I worked as a programmer I would sometimes be called in to assess a candidate's technical ability. If someone claimed a knowledge of a particular language and I found they didn't have it, negative recommendation from me. On the other hand, if they demonstrated excellent skills in a language other than the one we wanted, I would often suggest we hire them. A good programmer will learn a new language quickly and use it well. A bad programmer will always be a a bad programmer, no matter how much experience in a given language they have.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I think the most difficult questions are those that are, frankly, none of the interviewer's business. They should not be asking about your personal life for example, but if you do get such a question what to do? You can't really say "that's none of your business" or similar as it will get you to the bottom of the pile right away. How to evade it without angering the interviewer or looking as if you are hiding something?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I think the most difficult questions are those that are, frankly, none of the interviewer's business. They should not be asking about your personal life for example, but if you do get such a question what to do? You can't really say "that's none of your business" or similar as it will get you to the bottom of the pile right away. How to evade it without angering the interviewer or looking as if you are hiding something?
1726246704834.jpeg

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Hey @Kfox
Check the above quote.
How would you have negotiated the wages after the interviewer showed the pile full of resumes for that position?