• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should you lie in a job interview?

PureX

Veteran Member
Should you lie in a job interview?

I had one last week, and I didn't get hired. I have another today though. I'm applying for cooking positions.

I was honest with the last managers and told them "I am not the fastest anymore like I was when I was 18-19.". For whatever reason, they didn't hire me. Crowded job market down where I live.

Should I lie? Should I tell the interviewer that I can run around like a cracked out Energizer Bunny? Do I do whatever is necessary to get my foot in the door and then figure it out from there?

In school, they always said you had to "sell yourself" in job interviews. Does that mean lying? I tell the interviewers that I bring positive vibes to the table. That is very important in a kitchen, more important than being fast I believe. That's my selling point.

Do I tell them I'm fast as heck too?

Do you lie in interviews? If you interview people, have you had people over hype themselves up only for you to find out when they started working?
I have found that lying in an interview is pointless. And here's why ...

I am looking for the job that fits me, and that I can fit into. I don't want the job that is too much for me, or too little. And I assume the employer doesn't want that, either. So really, we both want the same things. And so we may as well both be up front about what we want, and what we have to offer each other. Right?

I have found that the best way to get hired for a job is to be ready for the work being offered. That means ask the kinds of questions that one would ask about the job if they were serious about being able to do it. This shows the employer that you are serious about being able to do it. And it also shows that you know enough about the work required to be able to ask the pertinent questions.

I also want the prospective employer to know that I am also interviewing them. So I will ask some questions that will help indicate to me how they view their employees. I have worked for enough dirt-bag employers in life to know that they just aren't worth the struggle. And at my age I can smell them coming a mile off. I have also learned that when you make it clear to an employer that they are not going to get to play 'the big boss-man' with me right from the start, it eliminates having to make it clear to them after being hired. And usually the pathetic weenies that think they need to do this will avoid me like a plague the moment they detect that that I'm not having it. And it's better to get that crap out of the way right off the top. Most employers are decent people that are just looking for someone to fulfill a set of necessary tasks. And I only want to be that someone if I know I can fulfill those tasks for them, and I want to take on the responsibility.

It's a two-way street with the mutual goal of operating a specific commercial enterprise. I want to give that enterprise AT LEAST a value equal to what I take from that enterprise in compensation. And hopefully give significantly more then that. Otherwise, there is no point in my being there. But in return, I need them to recognize the value I bring to the enterprise, and be respectful, appreciative, and accommodating, in return.

The point of all this that it is a two-way street based on capability and mutual respect. If I detect this is not going to be forthcoming, I do not want their job. If I really needed the money, I might take their job temporarily, but I will leave it for something better as soon as I am able. And I will not feel the least bit bad about doing that. Because sadly, I know that in most instances, they will do the same to me if it serves them.

Last edited:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I am looking for the job that fits me, and that I can fit into. I don't want the job that is too much for me, or too little. And I assume the employer doesn't want that, either. So really, we both want the same things. And so we may as well both be up front about what we want, and what we have to offer each other. Right?
That's good, but it's also worth remembering that the person interviewing you may not accurately represent the company as a whole and also may not be the person you will be working for. A true story follows.

I was interviewed for a job for which I was, quite frankly, overqualified. Two people interviewed me, one asking the questions and the other just listening. I was asked a technical question that I answered correctly and was told I was wrong. I tried to answer in a different way and eventually gave up trying to, as I later described, discover which wrong answer he wanted. He did not offer me a job. A few days later I got an offer from the other person, which I accepted. It turned out they were managers of two different teams. Later I spoke to my new boss about the interview and he said "He realized that you knew more about it than he did and didn't want someone like that on his team".

Retirement is so good.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's good, but it's also worth remembering that the person interviewing you may not accurately represent the company as a whole and also may not be the person you will be working for. A true story follows.

I was interviewed for a job for which I was, quite frankly, overqualified. Two people interviewed me, one asking the questions and the other just listening. I was asked a technical question that I answered correctly and was told I was wrong. I tried to answer in a different way and eventually gave up trying to, as I later described, discover which wrong answer he wanted. He did not offer me a job. A few days later I got an offer from the other person, which I accepted. It turned out they were managers of two different teams. Later I spoke to my new boss about the interview and he said "He realized that you knew more about it than he did and didn't want someone like that on his team".

Retirement is so good.
I understand. But to me the takeaway is that you wouldn't have wanted the job with the guy that knew less than you did but couldn't accept that, anyway, right? What a pain that guy would be to work with/for.

Also, as I was reading that story, I though you were going to say that it was a "trick" situation to see how you would respond to the circumstances. Thank God is wasn't! Imagine working for THAT company!

I am fortunate in that I have never sought a job with the kinds if big companies that would present that confusing of a front in an interview.

I do have an interesting story about an interview, though. I was applying for the building maintenance job for a large, very busy dental suite (6 dentists, 7 hygienists, many assistants, 26 op. chairs, 3 labs, etc.) and was being interviewed by the office manager and the comptroller, both women. At the end of the interview they asked me why they should hire me instead of one of the other younger candidates. I thought for a second, and then looked at them and said with great assurance, "Because I am clearly the prettiest!". Obviously, I was not, and anyway, I had never seen the other candidates. But these two ladies got a real laugh out of that response, and hired me because I had a sense of humor along with the skill set.

One is passed, the other is retired, and I am still there. Though I am slowly moving into retirement, myself.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I understand. But to me the takeaway is that you wouldn't have wanted the job with the guy that knew less than you did but couldn't accept that, anyway, right? What a pain that guy would be to work with/for.
Actually I did observe him in action, as both managers worked in the same area in the same building and the division was more to do with the number of people reporting to a single manager than the nature of the work. In short he and his team worked near me. He did indeed prove to be someone I would not have wanted to work for.
Also, as I was reading that story, I though you were going to say that it was a "trick" situation to see how you would respond to the circumstances. Thank God is wasn't! Imagine working for THAT company!
Indeed.
I am fortunate in that I have never sought a job with the kinds if big companies that would present that confusing of a front in an interview.

I do have an interesting story about an interview, though. I was applying for the building maintenance job for a large, very busy dental suite (6 dentists, 7 hygienists, many assistants, 26 op. chairs, 3 labs, etc.) and was being interviewed by the office manager and the comptroller, both women. At the end of the interview they asked me why they should hire me instead of one of the other younger candidates. I thought for a second, and then looked at them and said with great assurance, "Because I am clearly the prettiest!". Obviously, I was not, and anyway, I had never seen the other candidates. But these two ladies got a real laugh out of that response, and hired me because I had a sense of humor along with the skill set.

One is passed, the other is retired, and I am still there. Though I am slowly moving into retirement, myself.

Right. Interviewers are people too and we don't have to be overawed by them. In fact we shouldn't as you showed.

Some of the best interviews I remember, leading to jobs I enjoyed, had the interviewer establish a friendly relaxed atmosphere from the start.

PureX

Veteran Member
Actually I did observe him in action, as both managers worked in the same area in the same building and the division was more to do with the number of people reporting to a single manager than the nature of the work. In short he and his team worked near me. He did indeed prove to be someone I would not have wanted to work for.

Indeed.

Right. Interviewers are people too and we don't have to be overawed by them. In fact we shouldn't as you showed.

Some of the best interviews I remember, leading to jobs I enjoyed, had the interviewer establish a friendly relaxed atmosphere from the start.
Indeed.