• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Simple Living and Higher Thinking

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
Every creature on Earth do impact the environment where it lives, and consecuently "damages" the world somehow, in the sense that it changes the original conditions to a new ones, usually advantegous for the specie itself, and disvantageous for other species.

Hi Otokage007!

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understood what you said that every living thing damages the world, usually advantageous for itself and disadvantageous for other species.

Do you think we humans have reached a point where we are now making the world disadvantageous for not just other species, but ourselves as well?

I agree that we cannot just stop using technology. Maybe the answer is to change our technology so it harms the environment less, and to use the technology more wisely or sparingly. For example, you mentioned electricity. From what I understand, electricity itself doesn't pollute, it's how it's made. Perhaps we could shift toward non-polluting sources of electricity. I think I-Ching's vision is possible, and maybe we can even get to the point where we have "green" technology that pollutes little or not at all. To me, it seems like enlightenment - can't get there in one step, but little by little, who knows?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
:flower2:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Do you think we humans have reached a point where we are now making the world disadvantageous for not just other species, but ourselves as well?
That is an interesting question and want to take a stab at it. It is obvious these things are to our advantage in the short term. The concern is more the long term effects on our environment including all the other species.

The truth is 99% of species do not survive so it is inevitable that they will die off whether or not humans are around to cause it. If humans left some other species would come out to dominate. Right now the earth is in prestine condition for life to flourish but the earth will not always be like that but life will still find a way to struggle through no matter what just as species have done through several mass extinctions.

What humans do to the earth is the nature of the beast which is trying to survive as long as possible which would obviously be bad for our prestine conditions under any circumstances. Even though technology has allowed us to do this we are an advantage that technology can prolong the life of the optimal conditions on this planet just as we use it to prolong our own lives.

We just need to use our resources to the best of our ability to try and keep our resources as long as possible. It is hard to balance out keeping the earth prestine with the overwhelming effects of longer human lives across the planet. Global warming and cooling happen without us and will happen if we can't stop it. Life won't always survive in such abundance but our technology might keep us alive for the most part.

There is a lot to consider and we want to do the best we can without having to get rid of a third of the worlds human population. In the end the earth may not give us much of choice but we fight nature and have for millions of years and wouldn't do that very well at all without technology.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
That is an interesting question and want to take a stab at it. It is obvious these things are to our advantage in the short term. The concern is more the long term effects on our environment including all the other species.

The truth is 99% of species do not survive so it is inevitable that they will die off whether or not humans are around to cause it. If humans left some other species would come out to dominate. Right now the earth is in prestine condition for life to flourish but the earth will not always be like that but life will still find a way to struggle through no matter what just as species have done through several mass extinctions.

What humans do to the earth is the nature of the beast which is trying to survive as long as possible which would obviously be bad for our prestine conditions under any circumstances. Even though technology has allowed us to do this we are an advantage that technology can prolong the life of the optimal conditions on this planet just as we use it to prolong our own lives.

We just need to use our resources to the best of our ability to try and keep our resources as long as possible. It is hard to balance out keeping the earth prestine with the overwhelming effects of longer human lives across the planet. Global warming and cooling happen without us and will happen if we can't stop it. Life won't always survive in such abundance but our technology might keep us alive for the most part.

There is a lot to consider and we want to do the best we can without having to get rid of a third of the worlds human population. In the end the earth may not give us much of choice but we fight nature and have for millions of years and wouldn't do that very well at all without technology.

Hi Idav!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I also think the reason that we need to be concerned about environmental damage is not for the earth's sake but for ourselves. As you said, the earth will keep on going, and I have seen science programs that say if all humans went extinct that in a few thousand years most evidence of our existence will be consumed by nature. As you mentioned, if we use up our resources, many people will perish. I think we should switch to technology that does not depend on nonrenewable resources before such a situation does occur when the resources run out.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

Benhamine

Learning Member
A couple of quick points as I'm leaving work soon and don't have time to write them out in length:
1. Technology has improved our lives immensely and the abuse of said technology has caused damages to the world. Blame humans for that.
2. Advances in technology and society have improved human rights, allowed us as a population to contribute to causes we are not near (see the rapid response to haiti), and get messages out about stuff that is happening not locally that needs attention
3. We can still utilize the current technology, further advance technology, but do it in a morally conscience, socially aware methodology.
4. Yes many people may be unwillingly to make these sacrifices but that shouldn't be encouraged. We do live in a society of over consumption and gluttony. These luxuries should be just that. We need (as a movement) to get the message out there (through technology) about alternatives to immoral methods and change legislation to make it easier to live morally than immorally. Many low-income families don't have a choice to live consciously. Change subsidizing unhealthy foods, wal-marts, and oil to subsidizing local economies through microloans, subsidizing small organic farms, and subsidizing research into alternative fuels so that we can reduce our dependence on oil
5. Here are some links to articles about studies done on organic food quality
(actually not allowed to post links yet :( but message me and I'll send. Hint: organic is healthier)

Well that's all for now. It's quitting time. I probably have other thoughts, but that was the 5 minute spit-fire.

-Benhamine

otokage007

Hi Otokage007!

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I understood what you said that every living thing damages the world, usually advantageous for itself and disadvantageous for other species.

I agree that we cannot just stop using technology. Maybe the answer is to change our technology so it harms the environment less, and to use the technology more wisely or sparingly. For example, you mentioned electricity. From what I understand, electricity itself doesn't pollute, it's how it's made. Perhaps we could shift toward non-polluting sources of electricity. I think I-Ching's vision is possible, and maybe we can even get to the point where we have "green" technology that pollutes little or not at all. To me, it seems like enlightenment - can't get there in one step, but little by little, who knows?

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

I do agree with you, absolutly. But the only way to improve technology is to keep using it so we can see its weak points and do the research work needed. Recluding ourselves in the rustic life is definitly not the way to achieve that.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

On the subject of right technology concerning our environment etc realize that humans too are part of the system which is existence / god / consciousness / etc.
What human do are not isolated but a process of evolution itself where existence of which every forms and no-forms are part off are mere mediums for evolution to progress which is the only way.
So as humans we can only do our best taking ourselves to be part of existence i.e. part of an open system where what comes in, goes out meaning it requires a still mind which is self balanced to maintain the balance of existence [system] as it is.
When we add garbage to the system we get back garbage in return.

Love & rgds

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
I do agree with you, absolutly. But the only way to improve technology is to keep using it so we can see its weak points and do the research work needed. Recluding ourselves in the rustic life is definitly not the way to achieve that.

Hi Otokage007!

I agree that we need to keep improving technology. I don't know about everything, but with computers anyway they are getting smaller, are using less materials, and with everything being wireless they are less obtrusive. It's amazing what can be done with a small plastic box that weighs less than five pounds and isn't connected to anything! If we can continue to make advances in miniaturization and reducing waste and pollution, I think we can have a very "green" society with very advanced technology.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Hi Otokage007!

I agree that we need to keep improving technology. I don't know about everything, but with computers anyway they are getting smaller, are using less materials, and with everything being wireless they are less obtrusive. It's amazing what can be done with a small plastic box that weighs less than five pounds and isn't connected to anything! If we can continue to make advances in miniaturization and reducing waste and pollution, I think we can have a very "green" society with very advanced technology.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

There is also extensive research being done in areas of environmentally friendly sources of energy, which we will be needing whether we like it or not seeing as oil and coal won't last forever. The recent influx of electric cars also shows that once we have a cleaner way of producing energy, transportation can be very clean indeed. All of this is down to science and technology, which goes to show that the way forward is more science and technology, not less.
I know you don't disagree with this, I just thought it worth pointing out.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Just a note....with each invention or change in process....

Technology is a compromise.
To have whatever you will...something else is destroyed.

We humans were built to survive in a chemistry experiment.
You eat, sleep, drink,....breath....then die.

Technology is futile.

Want a better life?....not in this world.

Even if we succeed in discovering the cycle of chemistry that preserves each individual.....that process is ultimately terminal.
Humans are reproducing and will soon over run this planet's resources...altogether.

Technology will then be used to limit our numbers and access to ...
'better living'.

Has anyone seen a movie called....'Soylent Green'?...with Charlton Heston.

Yeshe Dawa

Lotus Born
There is also extensive research being done in areas of environmentally friendly sources of energy, which we will be needing whether we like it or not seeing as oil and coal won't last forever. The recent influx of electric cars also shows that once we have a cleaner way of producing energy, transportation can be very clean indeed. All of this is down to science and technology, which goes to show that the way forward is more science and technology, not less.
I know you don't disagree with this, I just thought it worth pointing out.

Hi Jarofthoughts!

I think you are right - I think technology can be greener, but sometimes I think it is more the fault of economic factors rather than the technology itself that it isn't. For example, companies who are producing or servicing the current technology won't be very enthusiastic about a greener technology making their products obsolete. I think we probably already have better solutions - they just need to be implemented.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
Hi Jarofthoughts!

I think you are right - I think technology can be greener, but sometimes I think it is more the fault of economic factors rather than the technology itself that it isn't. For example, companies who are producing or servicing the current technology won't be very enthusiastic about a greener technology making their products obsolete. I think we probably already have better solutions - they just need to be implemented.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

There is no question that we could have come a lot further in implementing 'green' technology if we disregarded the economic aspects, but alas, we cannot. Also, public opinion counts for a lot in this respect, not only with regards to which products they buy or not, but also with regards to purely emotional reactions.
For instance, nuclear power is basically non-polluting except for the nuclear waste material, which we have very safe ways of disposing of. If you compare the health-risks and death statistics, not to mention pollution in general with almost any other source of power we use to any appreciable extent, nuclear power has them all beat by a mile.
By exchanging coal and oil plants with nuclear ones we can eliminate a huge chunk of the environmental problems we have at the moment. Sure, we want to move on to solar, wind, hydro, or wave power eventually, but as a stepping stone it's hard to beat nuclear.
Perhaps sometime in the future we will be able to utilize fusion power. If just someone could get the damn thing to work any time soon... ;)

Benhamine

Learning Member
Hi Jarofthoughts!

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe

We've run into this a lot in the auto industry. There is a lot of fight back and sabotage within the industry to keep from having to spend the money to change infrastructure. However, there are a lot of people out there that want change and there are companies that realize this. These companies are the one's that are leading the change and hopefully the one's that are fighting back will soon realize that in the long run they'll be better off the sooner they jump on the bandwagon.

-Benhamine

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Ultimately humans don't generally like change (which is why, generally speaking, youth are early adopters and elders are hold-offs). Businesses definitely don't like change as it can interrupt their business models.

The green revolution has been happening since the 1970's... that is how long business has been holding off on big changes. But it looks like a sort of "critical mass" is finally being met to spur significant change. This is the general trend... the industrial revolution wasn't overnight nor was the introduction of electricity or the telephone.

wa:do