• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sleep, once or twice a day

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was in a small tropical country a few years back, and the sleeping was different than in the west. Most people slept twice, from about 12-5 at night, and then from about 1-4 in the afternoon, giver or take a bit for individual needs. I read somewhere that we only started sleeping the way we do because of the industrial revolution, and the need for factories to operate all day.

I could not believe the action I saw at 5 AM where I was at local farmer's markets. People were up, lively, and raring to go. Then during a well documented non-productive time of the natural cycle, (afternoon) things just shut down. I almost 'need' my power nap in the afternoon, but it isn't 3 hours.

Is any of this faith related? ... (On a side note, most Hindu temples in India shut down from 12 until 4 and it has been that way for a very long time.)

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
That's how I sleep. Unless I'm studying or partying I usually am out cold between 10 PM - 1 AM and 3-8 AM. The Industrial Revolution and modern capitalism have really messed with people's lifestyles. We also work a lot more than our ancestors did. It's no wonder depression increases with a nation's productivity.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think thats why so many people are tired and fatigued. Burnt out. Primarily due to the industrial revolution as it seems. In fact I think it's getting worse as a good number of people worldwide are pushed for more and more hours to get the job "done". I tend to sleep on my breaks, and for the most part sleep twice a day during my time off. A few of my co-workers nap as well.

As far as anything faith related goes, I dont think so in light of this being a natural thing to do. I suppose however there are faiths and religions around that accommodate what is natural as far as our sleep cycles go.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
From an evolutionary standpoint it makes sense: your tribal security is probably better guaranteed if you aren't immobile for a third of the day nonstop.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think thats why so many people are tired and fatigued. Burnt out. Primarily due to the industrial revolution as it seems. In fact I think it's getting worse as a good number of people worldwide are pushed for more and more hours to get the job "done". I tend to sleep on my breaks, and for the most part sleep twice a day during my time off. A few of my co-workers nap as well.

As far as anything faith related goes, I dont think so in light of this being a natural thing to do. I suppose however there are faiths and religions around that accommodate what is natural as far as our sleep cycles go.

There was a time and a few cultures where the maximization of leisure time was the primary goal. Now its just maximization of profit.

I retired early in protest. So far its working.

lunamoth

Will to love
I was in a small tropical country a few years back, and the sleeping was different than in the west. Most people slept twice, from about 12-5 at night, and then from about 1-4 in the afternoon, giver or take a bit for individual needs. I read somewhere that we only started sleeping the way we do because of the industrial revolution, and the need for factories to operate all day.

I could not believe the action I saw at 5 AM where I was at local farmer's markets. People were up, lively, and raring to go. Then during a well documented non-productive time of the natural cycle, (afternoon) things just shut down. I almost 'need' my power nap in the afternoon, but it isn't 3 hours.

Is any of this faith related? ... (On a side note, most Hindu temples in India shut down from 12 until 4 and it has been that way for a very long time.)
I hate naps and never sleep during the day unless I am sick. However, this makes sense living in a place where it is light and mostly more comfortable temperature-wise during the day. 7-8 hours per night and I feel great.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sounds pretty nice if one could get used to it.

If I try taking a nap, it makes me feel pretty terrible.

That's how I sleep. Unless I'm studying or partying I usually am out cold between 10 PM - 1 AM and 3-8 AM. The Industrial Revolution and modern capitalism have really messed with people's lifestyles. We also work a lot more than our ancestors did. It's no wonder depression increases with a nation's productivity.
I'm not sure whether we work more than our ancestors. Many of them had agricultural work, which is time consuming.

elmarna

While sleeping twice is said to be "culturely" related. R.E. - siestas in mexico at the heat of the day than languish in the weather.
I think that it is that and more. We are a creature who prefers to enjoy life if we can.
There are ways that we respond to life to fufill this.
Inate in animals is to sleep after a meal. Some animals sleep more than twice.
Perhaps the peoples who sleep more than once are more in tune with their bio-rythums.
Thus enjoy life better by doing what is natural.
So many of us are forced to go against the body clock or seek a natural sleep awake cycle (includeing me!)
As for me - I prefer sleeping until I want to get up and forget the alarm clock!
Unfortunately - that is not happening any time soon!

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Sounds pretty nice if one could get used to it.

If I try taking a nap, it makes me feel pretty terrible.

I'm not sure whether we work more than our ancestors. Many of them had agricultural work, which is time consuming.

We (the UK anyway) works more and longer hours than we did in the 20th Century.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

I don't think it's faith related...sounds cultural to me.