• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Small Government Vs Large Government

Forums limit our post size, so this is part 2 I guess....

As for social programs to provide food, housing, health care & jobs to the needy, I don't see those as functions of government.

The government created a system where we end up with people who need food, housing, health care & jobs but cant get them. Who if not the government should provide these services? In every system you are going to have the haves and the have nots... how should the haves treat the have nots?

But if such services
are to be provided, they could a much better job than they do with the taxes we pay.

I agree... as I said: I think people have a problem paying taxes because they feel their money is not being spent well.

While I agree with you that there are some wars and other military and various other expenditures I don't agree with... any expenditure of my taxes that is going to help americans that need housing or food or medical care I fully support. I don't see how I, as a citizen in their country, don't have some obligation to help them. We all drive on the same roads, breathe the same air and catch the same diseases. We have the same government and my taxes that support the roads we all drive on and the free speech we all have should also support the same level of health care I have for everyone. We are all in this together and we are all americans. Don't we have an obligation to look out for each other?

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow! Such lengthy posts pose a daunting task to respond.
Let me summarize that "small gov" is just shorthand for a broad philosophy of less government, lower taxes, less regulation, less war, less foreign
aid, & preserving Constitutional liberties. It's fine for you to want to take care of your fellow man who is down on his luck, but I prefer that this
be handled by charity. If this threatens anyone's view of what government should be, then fear not. We're a small powerless minority of lunatics.

Wow! Such lengthy posts pose a daunting task to respond.
Let me summarize that "small gov" is just shorthand for a broad philosophy of less government, lower taxes, less regulation, less war, less foreign
aid, & preserving Constitutional liberties. It's fine for you to want to take care of your fellow man who is down on his luck, but I prefer that this
be handled by charity. If this threatens anyone's view of what government should be, then fear not. We're a small powerless minority of lunatics.

I think I made a few points and understand my lengthy retort is a lot at first glance but does it make sense? What is gained by this idea you call "small gov"?

What is government? I hear your argument and I think I get it but if you were born on an island somewhere with no roads, no government, no nasa program that went to the moon and forget that no international highway system to get from one part of the island to the other but everyone just left you alone and let you be than is that better?

What does its mean really than to be American compared to say German or Canadian?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think I made a few points and understand my lengthy retort is a lot at first glance but does it make sense? What is gained by this idea you call "small gov"?
Smaller gov means less regulation of our lives, & less of a financial burden.

What is government? I hear your argument and I think I get it but if you were born on an island somewhere with no roads, no government, no nasa program that went to the moon and forget that no international highway system to get from one part of the island to the other but everyone just left you alone and let you be than is that better?
Small gov doesn't mean that we have no roads & no government. That's why it's called "small gov" instead of "no gov".

What does its mean really than to be American compared to say German or Canadian?[/quote]

Smaller gov means less regulation of our lives, & less of a financial burden.

Small gov doesn't mean that we have no roads & no government. That's why it's called "small gov" instead of "no gov".

I feel perhaps you are missing what Seyorni said and what I am talking about. You are entitled to that so I won't press the issue. You did seem to miss my point though. It happens. I'm not saying it is your fault either. It is most probably my own fault for posting such a lengthy post.