• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So I was watching the latest Pat Condell video....

MarkQuinn

(You'll have to look it up on YouTube, as I can't post links yet. It's called "Children of a Stupid God".)

...and it really ticked me off.

During the last couple years I've frequented the video sites (YouTube and LiveLeak), and I often come across the religion vs. atheism debate without any representation from the fence-sitters, or, as a teacher once called himself, an atheist with a parachute. Of course these are pretty unflattering terms, conveying the idea that we're like undecided voters, too stupid to figure out something for ourselves. I don't see agnosticism that way. Intelligence, when dealing with the unknown, has no bearing. Instead, it's a matter of wisdom (or lack thereof). Is a person WISE enough to realize they don't even have a fraction of the answers, or a fraction of the right questions, for that matter, and see "I don't know" as the most liberating idea of all, because it plants your feet firmly in the ground, enabling you to judge without any bias what seems reasonable and what seems like unadulterated fiction.

Whenever I start talking to people in the God vs. No God debate, I always chose the atheists because I think --- in these matters, at least --- they're going to be more open-minded and intelligent about things than your typical Bible-thumper whose only agenda (I would fear) is to convert me to whatever religious sect they belong to. Wow, I couldn't have been more wrong. Atheists, I discovered, are as closed-minded and arrogant as the worst kinds of holy-rollers you're likely to find. And I say arrogant because I thoroughly believe that's what it is when you say matter-of-factly that YOU KNOW whether something exists in the universe or doesn't. Sometimes you'll catch an atheist slipping up and throwing an "I don't know" around, here or there, and you wonder why they don't just take that extra little step and adopt it as their ideology: the ideology of wise, blissful, liberating ignorance, devoid of all pretense and fiction; in short, the ONLY molecule of truth that could ever come out of this ridiculous debate.

I don't know. I don't know. The words ring so true, but we so rarely hear them.

So it occurs to me that people are people, and whether they want to believe in God or believe in nothing is mere semantics: deep down, most of us are rude, opinionated and so steadfast in our own belief systems that ANYONE who tries to shake our foundations is in for a real tongue lashing. And what a shame that is, too, because IMO, the only thing we should be after is the truth.

I put a lot of faith in science. Or, I should say, I've put a lot of my hopes into it. Science, if done properly, doesn't judge or opine. It looks for evidence, it tests, it repeats, it submits for peer review. As a non-scientist, I have the dubious luxury of watching modern biology, cosmology, quantum physics, and then coming up with my own half-baked ideas about what it could all mean. As long as I plant my feet firmly in that soil of ignorance, realizing my answers may be quite wrong and that gaining better understanding goes hand-in-hand with greater scientific understanding, I know I'm at least not fooling myself.

A case in point: the movie What the Bleep Do We Know. When I first watched it, I slapped myself upside the head and shouted voila!, they have all the answers! Of course! They've explained quantum physics in such a way that a Higher Power is now proven beyond all doubt! As the days passed and I began to look deeper into some of their claims, I realized so much of that movie was based on hearsay, guesses, shoddy science, new age hoodoo and outright lies. So I threw it out. I was left with a few good questions that the movie brought up --- questions I'll research on my own --- but no answers, as the great charlatan J.Z. Knight might have us believe. It was my fascination in linking science with spirituality that gave me an interest in their subject matter, and my steadfast agnosticism which grounded me firmly enough to toss it all out. I really pitty the people who don't search for answers because they're so sure there's nothing to be found, and the people who accept whatever pop-religion comes out this week or next week because something inside them is so empty that they gullibly cling to whoever claims to have "the answer", even if it's a self-proclaimed 35,000 year old warrior-prophet from Atlantis.

It just rubs me the wrong way when people are so sure of themselves about issues that are intrinsically impossible to prove or disprove. All this bickering you see on the video sites between atheists and religious believers is like so many dogs barking at each other from across the fence. In fact, the dog barking probably has more substance, is probably more real and true, because at least it deals with territorial rights or something concrete. But when a religious person is using a holy text (written by men) to prove the existence of God, and then an atheist is using that same text (at least in the case of Condell, as seen in the video noted above) to admonish the religious person and talk about how stupid and ridiculous the idea of God really is, it's nothing more than mindless chatter, the squawking of imbeciles who don't have enough common sense to simply admit THEY DON'T FRIGGIN KNOW!

Why do people hate that phrase so much? Why are people so full of themselves, or lacking in such confidence, that they cringe at the idea of being unsure about something? You know what I think the problem is in today's world? Too many opinions spewed, not enough questions asked.

Atheism is as much a fiction as fundamental religious belief (or so we must conclude, until evidence is revealed one way or another!) Someone might say I seem confused or non-commital. How wrong! There's not an ounce of confusion in me, and I'm completely commited to these ideas. It's the person who tells you with absolutely authority and no doubt whatsoever that an Invisible Spaghetti Monster exists, or doesn't exist, who's confused. Both are extremes, and both may be equally and hopelessly wanting for the truth. The agnostic considers all possibilities, and although he may be no closer to that truth, he's much better prepared to RECOGNIZE it in the unlikely event that it's ever revealed (in life, at least).

But it's not so dull, agnosticism, nor is it a blank slate. We know, first and foremost, that "we don't know," but we also know we have a powerful tool in our imaginations. Which isn't to say we need to concoct silly myths about "what might be". Imagination need go no further than "I imagine the truth is far more fantastic than anyone has considered." Imagination conjures such wonderful tidbits as "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Does anyone remember the episode of Star Trek: TNG where the crew stumbled upon one of their many unwinable situations, in this case some ultra-powerful being who was going to kill all of them to see how humanity deals with death? In his quarters, Picard is talking to someone (I forget who), and answering the question about whether he believes in God, heaven, etc. This is a horrible paraphrase, but he says something to the effect of "For centuries people looked to the gods for their answers. Then we gave that all up and looked toward science. I imagine the truth is far more complex and fascinating than either of them."

And sure, to go even that far requires a little faith, which comes dangerously close to religion (without necessarily crossing the line). But have your faith, I say (or your hope, as I do), and have your science, and keep it all grounded in the knowledge that you know very little, you'll probably never know a lot, that science can bring us a little closer and that reason and imagination (or "reasonable imagination) can bring us closer still. Combine all of that with a preparedness to lose all your fallacies in one fell swoop, should the database of human knowledge drastically change (perhaps with some juicy new information from a certain Doomsday Device in Switzerland?), and you'll be well-rounded, wise, better-prepared to see the miniscule crumbs of real truth if and when they arrive (either in favor of, or against, God/the afterlife/etc.), and, as I've said, liberated. Most of all you'll maintain an open mind and be very un-like the obnoxious %#&% bullies you hear on both sides of the debate, spewing their know-it-all, painfully know-nothing opinions about that which is impossible to prove or disprove.

MarkQuinn

Addendum: You know, if an atheist says he doesn't believe in God and leaves it at that, that's okay with me. He doesn't have to believe in anything he doesn't want to, obviously. All of my references above to "atheists" are targeted more at the argumentative, obnoxious, closed-minded people who have the audacity to try and debate about the un-debatable. At least with a religiuous person, they can say they've witnessed personal "miracles" in their life, etc. Sure, you know and I know that in all liklihood that "miracle" was nothing more than the fabulous luck of having a great surgeon perform their open heart surgery, or the good fortune of being in the coffee shop at the exact moment that their future wife, the love of their life, showed up (they forget there are 6 billion people in the world and if that particular love of their life didn't "miraculously" appear in the coffee shop because she was held up in traffic, that one day --- maybe a week, maybe a year, maybe a decade later --- another "love of their life" would show up and perform the very same miracle that the other was unable to perform because she was detained). In any case, yes, whether these "miracles" are true or not, at least that's something that the believer can point to and say "Here's my evidence" (shoddy and anecdotal as it may be). It certainly doesn't give them the right to come banging on my door and giving me literature to add to my already overfilled refuse bin, but it's something. The "antagonistic" brand of atheist, by contrast, actually thinks he's going to make me believe with all his bitter staunchness, that the invisible God doesn't exist merely because he's invisible! I say they should leave their elementary conclusions for elementary school. Sure, it's one thing to argue that fairies don't exist, never existed, because no one has ever seen them or proven that they've seen them. But fairies aren't tangled in far greater questions about cause-and-effect, chicken-and-egg, as a so-called creator. One is fanciful, the other is a genuine question which entails so many other questions about origins, existence, consciousness and, well ... everything. To dismiss the question simply because a simple, trite, stupid answer can be posed which is parallel to the consensus on fairies, is more than a little irresponsible. And the atheists who tout these kinds of answers are anything but true thinkers. They have nothing substantial to add to the discussion and, to me at least, they're just angry windbags without the easy-going personalities to smile, say "No thankyou" and then forget about the Jehovah's Witness who just interrupted the fourth quarter of the football game. (You see, they feel the nagging desire to seek retribution by posting furious, antagonizing videos on YouTube or wearing cutsey little t-shirts that say things like "There's a sucker born-again every minute").

People with an ounce of wisdom --- like most agnostics --- don't have the time for such ridiculous banter. They're more interested in getting to the bottom of things (and knowing just how little we know, how little we stand to discover in the cosmic scheme of things, they realize they have their work cut out for them --- as opposed to the religious person or the atheist who, armed with the scant evidence of their opinions, have cut to the chase and declared themselves all-knowing masters of the universe.... Whatever.)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
People with an ounce of wisdom --- like most agnostics --- don't have the time for such ridiculous banter. They're more interested in getting to the bottom of things (and knowing just how little we know, how little we stand to discover in the cosmic scheme of things, they realize they have their work cut out for them --- as opposed to the religious person or the atheist who, armed with the scant evidence of their opinions, have cut to the chase and declared themselves all-knowing masters of the universe.... Whatever.)
Well, I don't know. I am known for adding the catch line to my rants like, "I could be wrong" or "what would I know" just to help keep my feet on the ground. Granted, I haven't done it in awhile but nonetheless I think it is important to tell ourselves that we could be looking at reality incorrectly lest we succeed in totally deluding ourselves.

If one looks at virtually any topic on RF on a given day, you will find areas where people are just blathering on AS IF they actually know what they are talking about. It is incredibly rich material to work with as well as endlessly entertaining. One of my personal favorites is how folks have misconceptions about a given religion and the adherents step forward to clear up the misunderstanding but succeed in only making things look much worse than the misconceptions alluded to.

BTW: I loved the video. Pat Condell should be sainted or summin. Hmmm. The patron saint of sanity, perhaps?
Here is the link to the video Children of a Stupid God

Last edited:

Rin

What I know is dependent on what we are defining by "know". Atheists just believe that God is unlikely, about as unlikely as the truth fairy and since it is socially acceptable to use the term "know" to abbreviate the thought that a thing is very likely, we say we "know" that God does not exist. Of course we are not pretending to be certain, convinced or otherwise close-minded about the topic. Instead we believe that the debate is closed in a ordinary, every day context but not in a spiritual/philosophical context.

Of course not all atheists are like this... perhaps most are not. But if you assume that most of them are based on a few youtube videos then you are being as close-minded in your view of atheists who debate and argue for their position as you accuse them of being.

gnomon

Generalization that goes nowhere.

MarkQuinn

But if you assume that most of them are based on a few youtube videos then you are being as close-minded in your view of atheists who debate and argue for their position as you accuse them of being.

You saw my addendum. You know I differentiated between atheists who simply don't believe, and atheists who antagonize, debate, and think they can prove what's un-provable. I won't pretend to be able to break down the numbers and suggest "most" think this and "most" think that. All I can do is submit my opinions about the ones who are most visible, and in my little corner of the universe, those are the know-it-alls on YouTube, or the ones who buy all the bumper stickers and t-shirts from websites like the one where I found that bastardization of the P.T. Barnum quote (Hey, if they've made a business of this dreadful attitude, then more than a few people must hold to it, yes?)

As for whether I'm open or closed-minded, I never suggested I was either when it came to people, only matters of the cosmos.

By the way, if their only "position" is disbelief or belief in unliklihood, then there's not much to debate or argue for. It's about as hopeless as the proponents of Intelligent Design whose "science" is nothing more than trying to poke holes (and usually doing a very bad job of it) into established evolutionary biology. They can try to pretend they have real content or substance, but they're really just trying to prove a negative and dabbling in gross conjecture--- the exact same thing they rile against when they attack people of faith.

Sainthood for Pat? Hmmm, I might agree with you on a day when his rants are productive and helpful: like when he's helping to spread awareness about the dangerous Islamification of Europe and the ever-increasing dhimmitude of our media and western leaders. But when he spends seven and a half minutes droning on about how God must absolutely be false because some pre-Roman era writers depicted an unlikable character in their various little fictions --- well, let me just say I had always thought Pat was a lot smarter than that. ;)

MarkQuinn

Generalization that goes nowhere.

Yes gnomon, but yours went so much further. (your comment, that is)

EDIT: No, I'm not going to let you off the hook that easily.

This thread started because I was upset about Pat Condell's latest video. I'm actually a subscriber of his because he's one of the few brave voices in the UK (that reach the US, at least) who stands up against encroaching European Sharia. I DO love Pat, but his latest video was unnecessary, harsh, antagonistic and over-generalizing. I don't know if you watched the video or not, but if you did, I hope your opinion of it would be similar to your opinion of my rant. That is to say, it goes nowhere. You tell me, Gnomon, where it takes us when a man spouts seven minutes of bile about the falshood and evil nature of an archaic desert god? Are those methods going to convince many believers to give up their faith, or is it mere self-adulation, the notion of "Look at me, I'm a rebel, so much more intelligent than all you thumpers and so much more liberated?" I see Pat's anti-religious rants as mere intellectual masterbation. They don't really go anywhere, they don't prove or disprove a thing (or even bring us close), but they make him feel really good.

So, to answer your snide and unhelpful comment, yes, I was generalizing. I was generalizing in response to a generalizaion. Now you tell me the last time you had a discussion along these lines and listed all 17 million possible versions, nuances, fabrications and iterations of the topic at hand, and I'll freely admit you've put a lot more effort into it than I have.

Last edited:

gnomon

So, to answer your snide and unhelpful comment, yes, I was generalizing. I was generalizing in response to a generalizaion. Now you tell me the last time you had a discussion along these lines and listed all 17 million possible versions, nuances, fabrications and iterations of the topic at hand, and I'll freely admit you've put a lot more effort into it than I have.

Apparently my comment was helpful if you recognize that ranting on atheists this, theists that but oh agnostics this is nothing more than generalizing.

Want to talk about Pat specifically, fine. You're doing that well and I'm not saying that facetiously.

People with an ounce of wisdom --- like most agnostics

Statements like the quoted one above are garbage. They are not useful in any debate. You are just trying to toot your own horn.

Who cares.

People with an ounce of wisdom --- like most agnostics --- don't have the time for such ridiculous banter.

You apparently do have time for such ridiculous banter. We all do. We're on this forum rather than reading, working or having sex.

Atheism is as much a fiction as fundamental religious belief

Recognizing that theism/atheism are merely points of view on a specific theological question would be better. Stating one does not believe in the divine definition of God is not fiction. It's a statement of fact.

Anyway, I merely pointed out that your very last paragraph was itself a generalization that went nowhere. Was a minor criticism. Quite frankly one I wish people would point out to me as well.

MarkQuinn

More about Pat....

I certainly don't want to come across as a defender of faith. As I've said, his anti-Islamic videos appeal to me very much. A lot of people, if asked what the greatest danger posed by Islam is, would say terrorism or perhaps a fundamentalist group getting their hands on a nuke and obliterating Israel, etc. Pat seems to understand what I believe so strongly: that although terrorism and WMDs are dangerous, our various concessions to Islam are much more so. I won't elaborate on that, as this isn't the forum for it, but there you have it. Any voice that proclaims this message as loudly and clearly as his is, IMO, a fantastic thing. My concern with Pat has always been the dual nature of his message. On one hand he'll talk about the destructive nature of religion (all relgions) to which I whole-heatedly agree. On the other hand, he'll go off on these tirades about how he "hates God". I often wonder, how many people would listen to Pat's all-important message about the deterioration of our rights and freedoms of speech at the hands of religion if he didn't spend so much time insulting them? How many people, upon seeing the title "Children of a Stupid God", will shut him off immediately and then never return to see one of his messages where the content is solid, unequivocal and all-important? Too many, I fear.

That's the reason for my angst. That's the reason why I get upset with atheists who attack, rather than quietly disbelieving. Does Richard Dawkins' antagonistic nature help the poor souls caught up in this pitiful idea that the Earth is 6000 years old (or whatever they say it is), or whose answer to the irrefutable evidence of carbon dated dinosaur bones is that "God put them in the ground to test our faith?" No one ever convinced someone of something by ridiculing them, and that's what Pat did with his video: over seven minutes of it, harsh, cruel, unadulterated ridicule.

And please, forgive me for my own meager "intellectual" masterbation in this thread. As I said at the beginning, I see two sides of this debate all the time, but never a middle ground. That's why I found this forum. It's a delight just knowing there are people who established a place on the internet for the investigation of all possible what ifs, not just the two polar opposites always lobbing bombs at each other.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This thread started because I was upset about Pat Condell's latest video. I'm actually a subscriber of his because he's one of the few brave voices in the UK (that reach the US, at least) who stands up against encroaching European Sharia. I DO love Pat, but his latest video was unnecessary, harsh, antagonistic and over-generalizing. I don't know if you watched the video or not, but if you did, I hope your opinion of it would be similar to your opinion of my rant.
Actually, I thought Pat's latest rant was spot on actually. Perhaps you are just being a bit too sensitive. Personally, I think his comments cut to the heart of delusion, but hey, that's just me.

MarkQuinn

Apparently my comment was helpful if you recognize that ranting on atheists this, theists that but oh agnostics this is nothing more than generalizing.

And thank God --- no pun --- for generalization. Human communication would stop dead in its tracks without it. But when a person points out that another is generalizing on a topic as broad as this, it kind of comes across as an unecessary speed bump, slowing the momentum of thought. But I'm glad we had this chat about it, so I can throw little caveats into my rants from time to time.

Statements like the quoted one above are garbage. They are not useful in any debate. You are just trying to toot your own horn.

Who cares.

You think I was trying to toot my own horn. I think you were just offended. As you know nothing about me, and I know even less about you, we can't really be sure. In any case, the reason I'm objecting to your snippet (instead of just letting it go, as I probably should) is because I think it's important to differentiate between a debeate and a rant. Rants are by nature infused with emotional language. That's what that was. Which isn't to say, generally speaking, that I don't whole-heartedly believe that people who think in absolutes are really lacking in wisdom. I also believe very strongly that an agnostic, a person with the fortitude to admit he doesn't know, is exhibiting far more wisdom, at least in cosmic matters (he might also be the kind of person who blows whole paychecks on booze and hookers, showing that his wisdom in financial matters is lacking). So, you see, although I might have come across as tooting my own horn, it was a toot that I kind of believe, more or less.

You apparently do have time for such ridiculous banter. We all do. We're on this forum rather than reading, working or having sex.

No, I really don't have time for bumper stickers whose sole purpose is to get a rise out of others, or posting Condell-like videos on the internet which serve just to p#ss people off. I think people who overtly advertise their atheism are just doing missionary work for the Church of Disbelief. I think many of them get a real tingle of joy out of upsetting others, just as a lot of Christians may or may not (I don't know) laugh as they recall how they got that old atheist across the street to turn red and almost gave him a heart attack with their witnesssing.

But here's the kicker. After leaving the Catholic Church at age 18 and entering my brief year and a half "born again" phase, I realized something. I'd start these fights with my mother and tell her how ridiculous it is to worship the Virgin Mary and the saints becaise NO WHERE in the Bible does it say to do that. It dawned on me that I wasn't trying to hurt her. I was trying to make her believe what I believed because, deep down, I was so unsure of it, and the mroe people who I could convince, the more my own (faulty) beliefs were validated. I think that deep down, through all the insults and attacks, most people, regardless of which side you're on in the debate, are really just doing the same. A Pat Condell (you see, I say "a" Pat Condell, not "Pat Condell", because in this circumstance you really do want to generalize) is very well trying, angrily it seems, to shout from his mountaintop that there's no way a God exists. And when his total number of subscribers rolls over from 25,000 to 26,000, he feels that much more sure of himself.

Just my opinion.

I'd even go so far as to say I'm doing the exact same thing here --- trying to validate my belief system by shouting from a little pedestal --- and on some level I probably am, but it's hard for me to really admit that I need much validation about my admission that I don't know jack. :)

Stating one does not believe in the divine definition of God is not fiction. It's a statement of fact.

Sure, of course. But stating that God, as represented in the Bible, is a cruel, vile, vindictive creature unworthy of anyone's praise is a mere book review. And it does nothing for the debate, the rant or whatever someone would call it.

In a nutshell, that's why Pat really p#ssed me off today. :)

gnomon

And thank God --- no pun --- for generalization. Human communication would stop dead in its tracks without it. But when a person points out that another is generalizing on a topic as broad as this, it kind of comes across as an unecessary speed bump, slowing the momentum of thought. But I'm glad we had this chat about it, so I can throw little caveats into my rants from time to time.

You think I was trying to toot my own horn. I think you were just offended. As you know nothing about me, and I know even less about you, we can't really be sure. In any case, the reason I'm objecting to your snippet (instead of just letting it go, as I probably should) is because I think it's important to differentiate between a debeate and a rant. Rants are by nature infused with emotional language. That's what that was. Which isn't to say, generally speaking, that I don't whole-heartedly believe that people who think in absolutes are really lacking in wisdom. I also believe very strongly that an agnostic, a person with the fortitude to admit he doesn't know, is exhibiting far more wisdom, at least in cosmic matters (he might also be the kind of person who blows whole paychecks on booze and hookers, showing that his wisdom in financial matters is lacking). So, you see, although I might have come across as tooting my own horn, it was a toot that I kind of believe, more or less.

No, I really don't have time for bumper stickers whose sole purpose is to get a rise out of others, or posting Condell-like videos on the internet which serve just to p#ss people off. I think people who overtly advertise their atheism are just doing missionary work for the Church of Disbelief. I think many of them get a real tingle of joy out of upsetting others, just as a lot of Christians may or may not (I don't know) laugh as they recall how they got that old atheist across the street to turn red and almost gave him a heart attack with their witnesssing.

But here's the kicker. After leaving the Catholic Church at age 18 and entering my brief year and a half "born again" phase, I realized something. I'd start these fights with my mother and tell her how ridiculous it is to worship the Virgin Mary and the saints becaise NO WHERE in the Bible does it say to do that. It dawned on me that I wasn't trying to hurt her. I was trying to make her believe what I believed because, deep down, I was so unsure of it, and the mroe people who I could convince, the more my own (faulty) beliefs were validated. I think that deep down, through all the insults and attacks, most people, regardless of which side you're on in the debate, are really just doing the same. A Pat Condell (you see, I say "a" Pat Condell, not "Pat Condell", because in this circumstance you really do want to generalize) is very well trying, angrily it seems, to shout from his mountaintop that there's no way a God exists. And when his total number of subscribers rolls over from 25,000 to 26,000, he feels that much more sure of himself.

Just my opinion.

I'd even go so far as to say I'm doing the exact same thing here --- trying to validate my belief system by shouting from a little pedestal --- and on some level I probably am, but it's hard for me to really admit that I need much validation about my admission that I don't know jack. :)

Sure, of course. But stating that God, as represented in the Bible, is a cruel, vile, vindictive creature unworthy of anyone's praise is a mere book review. And it does nothing for the debate, the rant or whatever someone would call it.

In a nutshell, that's why Pat really p#ssed me off today. :)

That's cool.

I consider myself a pretty arrogant atheist and skeptic but I don't care much for Pat's videos. I'm a bigger fan of folks like Sagan or Shermer when it comes to viewing religious belief.

MarkQuinn

Actually, I thought Pat's latest rant was spot on actually. Perhaps you are just being a bit too sensitive. Personally, I think his comments cut to the heart of delusion, but hey, that's just me.

Let me watch it again and I'll let you know....

I'm going to paraphrase here:

-Some people look at nature and see proof of God's existence. Pat doesn't.

Yes, spot on there. Nature's abundance is proof of nature's abundance. Seeing anything more in it is like seeing divine intervention when the long-legged love of your life walks into the coffee shop. Both are divine --- nature's bounty and the long legs --- but neither proove God. (Okay maybe the legs do)

-I don't think the violent maniac of the Bible would be capable of creating a single radish, let alone the world, etc.

I don't see how a deities' disposition has any bearing on his creative powers. I hear a lot of maniacal serial killers are actually very good artists. Pat is spewing an opinion here that's coming dangerously close to the "R" word (wouldn't want to fall into that trap, would you now, Pat?)

A God who's afraid of new ideas is certainly no creator.

So the guy who revolutionizes bridge-building in the late 19th century and is renowned for his elaborate, sturdy, aesthetic masterpieces, but spurns the new-fangled bridges of the early 20th century as cheap, unreliable and doomed to catastrophe within two decades is no creator either? Here, Pat is again devising his own little religion --- or at least an anti-religion --- by using his limited human imagination and scope (which we all share) to suppose what a divine creator would or would not do, is or is not, can be or can't be.

I'd rather just admit I don't know. :)

Pat ... well, obviously he knows.

His eagerness to be worshiped shows us this is an extremely shallow individual.

Kind of like posting three dozen videos on YouTube, at least half of them with the exact same message and perhaps minor variations on the quips and one-liners, to what end?

It doesn't matter. Pat, at this point, is still talking about a work of fiction. He's still just giving us his book review.

His quickness to violence also shows that he's profoundly stupid.

This is one of those comments that sounds perfectly reasonable when you hear it on a video but, written out, just makes no sense. Now we're equating violence to lack of intelligence? Alexander the Great, Ghengis Khan, Julius Caesar et al must have dipped somewhere below the retardation level.

Come on Pat. You can do better. I've SEEN you do better!

God is so violent and primitive that we're surely not his children ... he's probably our child and he's a very naughty boy.

At last, he admits the God of the Bible is the God of a book written by men.

Next week, Pat, if you please, I'd like you to review Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls. The week after that, perhaps One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I could be wrong about all this. If God really did create the world, good for him, but if he expects to be worshiped on top of it, he can go to Hell, which is where I suspect he originated....

Wow. Am I the only one who hears a very troubled, angry man with some serious issues here? Pat obviously has a problem with religious texts and religious people, which I understand, but is his scope so narrow that he can't see the possibility that maybe a true God has NOTHING to do with any of that? What about a creator who's taken a hands off approach, or some sort of life force emanating through the cosmos, a new age "one with the universe" kind of thing that detests violence as much as he does, but not even on a conscious level, more like a natural consciousness of the type that ensures a "sick earth" if you polute it too much? There's a myriad of possibilities, and Pat is considering just one. It's disappointing.

Now Pat begins to talk about how people are divided, hating each other, etc. He blames this on "God", not the inherent violent nature of homo sapiens. I don't actually see much atheism here at all, but rather a scathing review of religion.

Which is where I'm going to stop because I'm only 2 minutes into this and I began boring all of you long ago.

Gnomon, in you I've found an atheist who's very reasonable, so signing up for this forum has paid off already. I feel as though I could talk to you about "heavenly matters" or the lack thereof on a level that --- sadly --- Pat and others I've talked to just couldn't comprehend (either that or their anger would stop them from opening their minds just wide enough to listen to a single counter point). I think we would probably agree on 9 out of 10 issues, the tenth being semantics. So to you and everyone else, thank you for your input.

And I need to stop watching YouTube videos. It seems the headlong rush for subscribers and ratings makes people post with a kind of bravado that undermines any sincere quest for truth.

But the atheists can still stick their bumper stickers into the same place where the Born Agains can stick their booklets.

MarkQuinn

That's cool.
I'm a bigger fan of folks like Sagan

Sagan is in my top ten list of favorite people who ever walked the Earth. Listening to his voice, his poetic narratives, his views of the cosmos all set to that cheesy but strangely eerie electronic music from the 80s is proof of the excellence and beauty of humanity, in direct contradition to all the ugliness with which Pat is so fond of painting us.

gilnv

gilnv
The part about theories not advancing much in 2000 yrs seemed correct.
Hopefully, the rant relaxed his anger a bit.
Unfortunately, moderate opinions don't get viewed much in our society. Hence, more and more extreme sides with plenty of followers.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Just imagine if there we were carbon and oxygen and nitrogen and hydrogen and etc., and freakishly developed the ability to realize just that. Would we grasp that simple truth? Would we confuse the issue? Would we use that as a starting point to theorize? [/FONT]
The lonely Agnostic

MarkQuinn

Pretty much deflated your rant when you used agnosticism as a middle ground IMO.

I'm sorry that your strict interpretation of a single word kept you from absorbing, comprehending, agreeing with or intelligently contributing to the 22,000 words I posted in this thread.

From Wikipedia (I wish I could link here!)

Agnosticism is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of deities, spiritual-beings, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently impossible to prove or disprove. It is often put forth as a middle ground between theism and atheism,[1] though it is not a religious declaration in itself, and the terms are not mutually exclusive, since agnosticism refers to knowledge, while atheism and theism refer to belief.

Additionally, there are many "types" of agnosticism listed in the article.

I think most of the things I've stated here have been more or less true to this definition. And even if "middle ground" is technically false, that was just one of many sentiments mentioned.

Last edited:

themadhair

Anyway, I'm sorry that your strict interpretation of a single word kept you from absorbing, comprehending, agreeing with or intelligently contributing to the 22,000 words I posted in this thread.
It was your confusing of Pat’s anti-theism with atheism that did that.

Danarch

Robot!
This "middle ground" stems from theist and atheists duking it out and placing people either for or against each side. When they bumped into the fact that agnostic could not be either, the terms "middle ground" and "fence sitter" were coined, in respect to agnostic views of god. They failed to realize that we are not involved at all in this feud. We simply do not have the knowledge prove anything involving a deity(s).