• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

so many gods?

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
Well you would get a lot of answers, my view is quote different to many here.
There is one Ishwar (God) in Hinduism, Devata (incorrectly translated as gods in English) refers to entities that are useful for us.
In the Vedas which is the revealed scriptures of Hinduism there is no mention of gods. Vedas clearly specify that there is One and only One Ishwar, And there is no mantra in Vedas that can be interpreted to imply multiple Ishwars.
Ishwar is the Devata of Devatas and hence called ‘Mahadeva’.

eg
Yajurveda 40.1:
This entire world is embedded within and managed by the One and Only One Ishwar. Never dare do any injustice or desire riches through unjust means. Instead follow the righteous path and enjoy its bliss. After all it alone is source of all bliss!

Avatars, i think means "As if it is", so "Rama" is as if it is "Visnu" in the flesh was here, Vishnu means the preserver ect aspect of Ishvara, Rama being a realized atman (soul).

Thats my 2 cents.

wow..thank you. I like your definatin of avatar...as if...so Rama is Visnu in the flesh?

Satyamavejayanti

wow..thank you. I like your definatin of avatar...as if...so Rama is Visnu in the flesh?

No exactly in the flesh, but Rama had the attributes of Ishvara (Vishnu).
Rama was a real person, and his actions and character was godly so to speak.

Ramayana is actually Itihas (history) to me, so a person called Rama did exist in the past.

But in Hinduism Artistic expression and freedom of worship and belief are paramount for the religion, so if someone praises Rama as the attribute of Vishnu, to me that just the same as praising the one supreme.

Satyamavejayanti

Would Jesus be considered a Avatar?

No, why would he be, for example Rama respected his parents wishes, Christ rejected his mother, Rama destroyed evil doers, Christ said give other cheek to slap, Rama was a warrior a protector of his people and his kingdom (hence Vishnu), Christ was convicted as a criminal and died a agonising death, Rama was a leader who went all the way till evil was destroyed, Christ left us midway.

That is my opinion, and no offence to anyone.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
No, why would he be, for example Rama respected his parents wishes, Christ rejected his mother, Rama destroyed evil doers, Christ said give other cheek to slap, Rama was a warrior a protector of his people and his kingdom (hence Vishnu), Christ was convicted as a criminal and died a agonising death, Rama was a leader who went all the way till evil was destroyed, Christ left us midway.

That is my opinion, and no offence to anyone.

lol..non taken..lol....
two different world views, and I suspect reasons for being here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

For most Hindus, Christ is just irrelevant. Personally, I don't know whether he existed or not, and it makes no difference to me.

Not all Hindus believe in the concept of avatar, for that matter, and I'm one of those.

Wannabe Yogi

There is much disagreement on this subject on this Hindu forum.

I would say yes, and some modern Hindu sages also take that position. It is a main stream Hindu view, nothing odd about it. There is no universal Hindu belief on the subject of Avatars little alone if Jesus fits the description. Personally it matters not if Rama or Krishna (most popular Avatars in Hinduism) are even Historical persons. There are so many differing views of Avatars that it is basically very open to interpretation of the sect you follow.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery

I would say yes, and some modern Hindu sages also take that position. It is a main stream Hindu view, nothing odd about it. There is no universal Hindu belief on the subject of Avatars little alone if Jesus fits the description. Personally it matters not if Rama or Krishna (most popular Avatars in Hinduism) are even Historical persons. There are so many differing views of Avatars that it is basically very open to interpretation of the sect you follow.

you see..thats what I thought!!!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Which I trust is a good thing. :) Non-Hindus then get a sense of the vastness. At the same time only a few are adamant that their position is the correct one. I actually revel in the diversity. If there was a place that had 10 temples, all with rich variety, if I could I'd head for all 10 ... in the same day. Just like potatoes in Peru, the more the merrier, and the better for the planet.

Wannabe Yogi

Which I trust is a good thing. :) Non-Hindus then get a sense of the vastness. At the same time only a few are adamant that their position is the correct one. I actually revel in the diversity. If there was a place that had 10 temples, all with rich variety, if I could I'd head for all 10 ... in the same day. Just like potatoes in Peru, the more the merrier, and the better for the planet.

The scriptures agree (from my point of view). In one of the many versions of the Ramayana the Lord Ram went to a rishi ashram. The sages did not recognize Rama as an Avatar still HE showed them the respect due to sages.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I agree and the scriptures agree. In one of the many versions of the Ramayana the Lord Ram went to a rishi ashram. The sages did not recognize Rama as an Avatar still the Lord Rama showed them the respect due to sages.

I was at Rameswaram, and there is a stone hillock to the east of there with legendary Rama's 'footprints' in it. The huge temple itself is just an amazing architectural wonder of many facets, one being they hauled stone for a quarry quite some distance away. Definitely a pilgrimage place for all of India. Each state has it's own guesthouse for pilgrims.

Wannabe Yogi

I was at Rameswaram, and there is a stone hillock to the east of there with legendary Rama's 'footprints' in it. The huge temple itself is just an amazing architectural wonder of many facets, one being they hauled stone for a quarry quite some distance away. Definitely a pilgrimage place for all of India. Each state has it's own guesthouse for pilgrims.

Do they let in non Indians ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Do they let in non Indians ?

For sure. I'm one, remember? Of all the places we went to, Rameswaram may have been the place where we saw the most Europeans or Americans in the temple. Very diverse crowd, all enjoying life together. Some of course go just for the architecture, but they're easily recognised by the camera. Devotees tend not to carry cameras. There was one British guy doing the 23 wells just behind me. (Rameswaram has a series of 23 wells , and a route where each well there is a guy who pours water on your head. Quite the exhilarating, and rejuvenating experience, really. You get a little wet!) I had spoken with him at the hotel earlier. I'd say almost half that hotel was western. Tanjore and Madurai also have a lot of westerners. Only Madurai had the 'No non-Hindu beyond here' sign posted. http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=1000+...rt=0&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0&tx=120&ty=62

Atman

Namaste Satyamavejayanti.

When did Christ reject his mother? Surely she would not be so revered amongst the Christians if this were the case. At any rate Vibhishana betrays his brother Ravana, due to his uadharmic conduct, and helps Rama fight him, and his army, so the Christian command to reject one's own family for unrighteousness is hardly in disagreement with the teachings of Hinduism.

Likewise, in several of the Lord's avatars like Rishabha and Lord Buddha, ahimsa is preached as a key doctrine. Certainly there is a time to respond to violence with violence, as a righteous way of defending Dharma, but there is also a time to instead turn the other cheek.

I could not tell you if I believe with absolute certainty that Christ is an avatar of Vishnu, or if the historical Christ tought the doctrine in the so-called canonical gospels, or if he tought the doctrine in the gnostic gospels, etc. but certainly I feel there is room in Hinduism for those who believe Jesus was an avatar.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Atman,

I feel there is room in Hinduism for those who believe Jesus was an avatar.
One's feeling/beliefs are till that *I* or the perceiver remains.
Or else; every being is an *avatar* always waiting to be realistic that the *I* that the mind created through illusion is holding the realization back!

Love & rgds

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I have a new favorite saying: "From 900 million Hindus you will get 900 million opinions". To that end, some believe Gautama Buddha is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Adi Shankara is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Swaminarayan is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Jesus is an avatara of God, some do not.

Personally I don't know if he is or is not. What I know is that he spoke some wise, compassionate and God-realized words. So did Gautama Buddha; so did Chaitanya Mahaprabhu; so did Adi Shankara; they are all worthy of respect and veneration, and probably sent by God as, at the very least, great teachers. The avatara or image of God is in the eye of the beholder.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

When did Christ reject his mother? Surely she would not be so revered amongst the Christians if this were the case.

He may be referring to the incident at the wedding at Cana, where Jesus seems to have snapped at and rebuked his mother. But the way he addressed her was a common way of speaking. Even today, translating "I'd like some water" from Greek or Spanish comes out as "give me some water"... very terse, and to English speakers, rude and offensive, which it's not meant to be.

I could not tell you if I believe with absolute certainty that Christ is an avatar of Vishnu, or if the historical Christ tought the doctrine in the so-called canonical gospels, or if he tought the doctrine in the gnostic gospels, etc. but certainly I feel there is room in Hinduism for those who believe Jesus was an avatar.

My feelings also, as I said above.

Satyamavejayanti

Atman;2851520]Namaste Satyamavejayanti.

When did Christ reject his mother?

I was referring to mattew 1/47 and 1/48. Rama would have run out and touched the feet of his mother, but jesus did not.
hence my objection.

At any rate Vibhishana betrays his brother Ravana, due to his uadharmic conduct, and helps Rama fight him, and his army,

Using this logic can i assume Mary was undharmic so Jesus rejected her and his brother?

so the Christian command to reject one's own family for unrighteousness is hardly in disagreement with the teachings of Hinduism.

No, Luke 14/26, Jesus wants his disciple to hate mother, father and even themselfs in order to be his disciple, and in Christianity the unrighteous are unbelievers.
Where did Rama or Krishna say hate your family to follow me?
Where is it in the Vedas?

Likewise, in several of the Lord's avatars like Rishabha and Lord Buddha, ahimsa is preached as a key doctrine. Certainly there is a time to respond to violence with violence, as a righteous way of defending Dharma, but there is also a time to instead turn the other cheek.

I agree.

I say Jesus is not Godly (Avatar).

That is my opinion.

SaintAugustine

At the Monastery
I have a new favorite saying: "From 900 million Hindus you will get 900 million opinions". To that end, some believe Gautama Buddha is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Adi Shankara is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Swaminarayan is an avatara of God, some do not; some believe Jesus is an avatara of God, some do not.

Personally I don't know if he is or is not. What I know is that he spoke some wise, compassionate and God-realized words. So did Gautama Buddha; so did Chaitanya Mahaprabhu; so did Adi Shankara; they are all worthy of respect and veneration, and probably sent by God as, at the very least, great teachers. The avatara or image of God is in the eye of the beholder.

great post....

sadhak

When did Christ reject his mother? Surely she would not be so revered amongst the Christians if this were the case. At any rate Vibhishana betrays his brother Ravana, due to his uadharmic conduct, and helps Rama fight him, and his army, so the Christian command to reject one's own family for unrighteousness is hardly in disagreement with the teachings of Hinduism.

As per my knowledge Vibhishan did not betray his brother Ravana. Vibhishan loved his brother and he did not want his brother to be killed in battle against Rama. He tried to familiarise Ravana with the truth that Rama was the avatar of Lord Vishnu and fighting against him would lead to disaster. He tried to persuade Ravana to release Sita and seek the path of Dharma. Ravana became angry and he drove Vibhishan out of his kingdom asking him to go and seek shelter of Rama.