• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social Justice and Islam

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is as much poverty and oppression in Muslim states as anywhere else.
Perhaps this is because there is as much greed.
Both Christianity and Islam have fine intentions, however neither have lead to universal social justice.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I think most people would argue that their religion is for social justice. But then you have to ask, what is social justice according to that religion? Does it include burning witches? Because some would argue so...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Both Christianity and Islam have fine intentions, however neither have lead to universal social justice.
I imagine this thread will quickly descend into the realm of "way back when the four Caliph ruled with utter authority..." No doubt the lack of social justice in Muslim countries will be laid at our feet due to our unrelenting oppression of the "perfect" religion. Though, I could be wrong.

In a system that allows for the beheading of and maiming of its citizens, what could possibly go wrong?

It seems to me that social justice is integral to Islam. Is this how you read it?
A Tariq Ramadanesque question... That IS the idea, however the idea also begs the question of what one considers justice. Is it the kind of justice one would really want governing their lives?

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi Terry,
I don't doubt it

Both Christianity and Islam have fine intentions, however neither have lead to universal social justice
Again I agree, however I think that this is so because of the message. Do you?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think most people would argue that their religion is for social justice. But then you have to ask, what is social justice according to that religion? Does it include burning witches? Because some would argue so...

Indeed - of course I see social justice in my terms, as I imagine everyone else does :)
I suppose there's no breaking out of this circle.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
A Tariq Ramadanesque question... That IS the idea, however the idea also begs the question of what one considers justice. Is it the kind of justice one would really want governing their lives?

Of course my idea of social justice is the one I would have governing my life :D

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Hi England,

How do you think a medieval mind is different from a modern one?

Hi Stephen,the medaeval mind lacks 1400 years or so of accrued knowledge gained by the experiences of people since those times,the frame work of social justice in Islam is medaeval IMO.

In both the Quran and Bible ,for example,we see Slavery as acceptable,in the enlightened world Slavery isn't acceptable ,so if you base social justice on an old medaeval book you will be using the fruits of a medaeval mind which conflict with the contemporary idea of social justice.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems to me that social justice is integral to Islam. Is this how you read it?

Justice is a very important aspect in our religion that so many scholars believe that living under the rule of a just non-Muslim ruler is better than living under the rule of an un-just Muslim ruler.

Now, regarding social justice, it's an integral part of Islam because without it we won't have a healthy and prospering society to live and grow at.

Some people might point finger at poor Muslim countries but that's not a fair indicator because one has to judge for how long has Muslims lived in prosperity and a rich fulfilling society. Islam for short-sighted people is only what they can see today, but for those who have the ability to use their reason, they know that Islam has started before more than 1400 years a go. People really need to study history.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Now, regarding social justice, it's an integral part of Islam because without it we won't have a healthy and prospering society to live and grow at.
Why is it that a rather healthy number of Muslims consider democracy, civil rights, and free speech to be either irrelevant or unIslamic?

Bismillah

Submit
Social justice is integral to humanism, in Islam there is autocracy and submission.
A false statement, submission to God perhaps submission to rulers never. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge of Islamic rule of law, including the Rashidun, can quite clearly understand the concept of barring those who seek power from positions of rule, election by consultation, governance by consent and a revolving concept of social justice. To rewrite the humility and humbleness of the Caliphs of Islam as unweilding power mongers is an hilarious revisit to the works of the Orientalists and their fascination with the rule of the Khalifa. Only in Islam will you find that the leaders of the state live and die within what can only be referred to as poverty.

In both the Quran and Bible ,for example,we see Slavery as acceptable
No you don't.

Furthermore, those who would wish to argue that the huduud are over handed or too gruesome do not appreciate that every measure has been taken to alleviate any potential victims and even criminals and to aquit them at any given chance. This combined with the successful policy of deterrence provides a means towards social justice unseen of in the West. It is a theme of what is public and private and the acknowledgment that a government has no power nor reason nor right to breach an individual's privacy, thus people are free to do as they will within their own lives but to display any such hedonistic pleasures or corruption in front of society is an attack on society.

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
People who own Slaves in the Bible and Qur'an have legal obligations to them,this in itself is acceptance of the practice.
The legal bondage placed upon those people cannot be termed as "slavery" by any means and are much closer to an alternate system of the modern day penitentiary and much more successful.

Bismillah

Submit
Why not,Slavery is a good description of what it is
Except for the fact that the "slave" was given an option towards freedom, the state sponsored the freeing of slaves through its own public charity, Islam focuses on freeing these "slaves" and the high merit of doing so, former "slaves" within an Islamic context never fulfilled the stereotypes found everywhere else in the world and were treated as citizens of the state, and the only people who were made slaves were those engaged in active warfare, often guilty of condemnable torture. If anything a Prisoner of War is an accurate label, the term slave just reveals your agenda.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Except for the fact that the "slave" was given an option towards freedom, the state sponsored the freeing of slaves through its own public charity, Islam focuses on freeing these "slaves" and the high merit of doing so, former "slaves" within an Islamic context never fulfilled the stereotypes found everywhere else in the world and were treated as citizens of the state, and the only people who were made slaves were those engaged in active warfare, often guilty of condemnable torture. If anything a Prisoner of War is an accurate label, the term slave just reveals your agenda.

Criticism of religion is never taken well,don't worry though the same social injustice is in the books of the Bible too.