• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solving the issue of violance

Truth in love

Children who live in a fatherless home are 279% more likely to deal drugs or carry firearms for offensive purposes compared to children who live with their fathers. (Allen and Lo)

85% of all children which exhibit some type of a behavioral disorder come from a fatherless home. (U.S. Department of Justice)

In the United States, Mississippi has the highest number of fatherless homes, with 36% of households falling into the category. Louisiana comes in second at 34%, while Alabama is third at 31%. (U.S. Census Bureau)

In “unrelated news”

6 of the top 10 counties for homicides are: Dallas County, Alabama, Washington County, Mississippi, Macon County, Alabama, St. Louis City, Missouri, Coahoma County, Mississippi and Orleans Parish, Louisiana. (Police1.com)

Many like to point out that we have school shootings in the US. AS the world leader in fatherlessness I’d argue we need to find the core issue. The nice thing about addressing root causes of people wanting to murder is that it works regardless of the tool they might employ. It also helps out with school, economic wellbeing and longevity. We also don’t have to start a civil war or punish good people for exercising their God given rights.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Part of the problem is "welfare reform", which resulted in women's welfare benefits being taken away if there was a man in the house. It disincentivizes couples among the poor. Poverty, not "fatherlessness" is the underlying problem.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Children who live in a fatherless home are 279% more likely to deal drugs or carry firearms for offensive purposes compared to children who live with their fathers. (Allen and Lo)

85% of all children which exhibit some type of a behavioral disorder come from a fatherless home. (U.S. Department of Justice)

In the United States, Mississippi has the highest number of fatherless homes, with 36% of households falling into the category. Louisiana comes in second at 34%, while Alabama is third at 31%. (U.S. Census Bureau)

In “unrelated news”

6 of the top 10 counties for homicides are: Dallas County, Alabama, Washington County, Mississippi, Macon County, Alabama, St. Louis City, Missouri, Coahoma County, Mississippi and Orleans Parish, Louisiana. (Police1.com)

Many like to point out that we have school shootings in the US. AS the world leader in fatherlessness I’d argue we need to find the core issue. The nice thing about addressing root causes of people wanting to murder is that it works regardless of the tool they might employ. It also helps out with school, economic wellbeing and longevity. We also don’t have to start a civil war or punish good people for exercising their God given rights.

Well then lets ban fatherless children, or homes without fathers I suppose. :thumbsup:

Truth in love

Part of the problem is "welfare reform", which resulted in women's welfare benefits being taken away if there was a man in the house. It disincentivizes couples among the poor. Poverty, not "fatherlessness" is the underlying problem.
Poverty is caused by fatherless far more than the other way around. I would agree that government discouraging families is very harmful.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Poverty is caused by fatherless far more than the other way around. I would agree that government discouraging families is very harmful.

I grew up fatherless and came out just fine. Lots of people did in the past also, with fathers killed during VietNam and earlier in Korea and WWII. I think the issue is far more complex than drawing causal arrows from fatherlessness to poverty.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I grew up fatherless and came out just fine. Lots of people did in the past also, with fathers killed during VietNam and earlier in Korea and WWII. I think the issue is far more complex than drawing causal arrows from fatherlessness to poverty.

Sure me too, but we are the exception. We are just playing the odds.

Truth in love

A little data on poverty and single parent homes.

Summary of impacts of single parent families on poverty from .

Children of mother-headed families are the very poorest of the poor.

Single-parent families have less that 1/3 the median per capita income of children from two-parent families; Half of them fall below the poverty line

73% of children in single-parent families have lived some period of time in poverty by age 18 vs. 20% of children in two-parent families.

22% of single-parent families will experience persistent poverty vs. 2% of two-parent families. (page 55 of life without father David Popenoe)

Children born out of wedlock risks of living in poverty is 5 times greater than children growing up in intact families (page 64 of life without father David Popenoe)

In America, among families with dependent children, only 8.3 per cent of married couples were living below the poverty line, compared to 47.1 percent of female-headed households. ([1] U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1991)

In Australia, a recent study of 500 divorcees with children five to eight years after the separation found that four in five divorced mothers were dependent on social security after their marriages dissolved. (Kate Funder, et. al., Settling Down - Pathways of Parents After Divorce. Melbourne, Australian Institute of Family Studies, 1993.)

Figures from Monash University’s Centre for Population and Urban Research show that family break-up, rather than unemployment, is the main cause of the rise in poverty levels in Australia. (Bob Birrell and Virginia Rapson, “More single parents equals more poverty,” News Weekly, 18 October 1997, p. 8.)

One American study even arrived at this startling conclusion: the proportion of single-parent households in a community predicts its rates of violent crime and burglary, but the community's poverty level does not. Neither poverty nor race seem to account very much for the crime rate, compared to the proportion of single parent families. (Douglas Smith and Roger Jarjoura, “Social Structure and Criminal Victimization.” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 25, Feb. 1988.)

I would argue that the evidence is very clear. Lack of family stability hurts kids, is a major source of poverty and many other problems.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I would argue that the evidence is very clear. Lack of family stability hurts kids, is a major source of poverty and many other problems.
I see it as poverty and mismanagement of a cyclic welfare system creating the conditions for single parent households. Then, poverty becomes a near endless cycle.

Truth in love

I see it as poverty and mismanagement of a cyclic welfare system creating the conditions for single parent households. Then, poverty becomes a near endless cycle.
The cycle is harmful but it does not need to be endless.
Of kids born in poverty 95% will exit if they will:
1. finish high-school
2. turn 21
3. have a full time job
all before having kids.

To go for the gold they can:
4. not commit crimes
5. get some additional job training (college, trade school etc.)
6. get married and stay married.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The cycle is harmful but it does not need to be endless.
Of kids born in poverty 95% will exit if they will:
1. finish high-school
2. turn 21
3. have a full time job
all before having kids.

To go for the gold they can:
4. not commit crimes
5. get some additional job training (college, trade school etc.)
6. get married and stay married.

Yes, even though I never met my father, I did the above.
Fortunately I did have some mentors who helped me along the way.

Though I suppose I did some crime. I was homeless and stole food.

Truth in love

Yes, even though I never met my father, I did the above.
Fortunately I did have some mentors who helped me along the way.

Though I suppose I did some crime. I was homeless and stole food.
We all have some struggles and do something stupid. I pirated software in high school. An action with no justification. When people know the rules they can play by them and have a good life.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Sure me too, but we are the exception. We are just playing the odds.
I wouldn't put too much stock in calling yourself the exception with such casual correlations and lack of firm statistical significant causation.
Such as, we know "fatherlessness" doesn't really predict much. We know single parent households, regardless of the parent's sex, isn't good for the the parent or child. We know poverty is cyclical and difficult to get out of. We know the poverty, crime and drug abuse walk hand-in-hand.
But you will not find in the academic literature an emphasis on making sure a child has a father. It will emphasize stable housing, appropriate discipline, and loving, nurturing and supportive care takers. And it's silly to think it must be the mother and father because we probably all know at least a few people who were raised by grandparents, adopted parents, single parent, gay parents or whatever and they turned out just fine. And that is because love is genderless.

Truth in love

I wouldn't put too much stock in calling yourself the exception with such casual correlations and lack of firm statistical significant causation.
Such as, we know "fatherlessness" doesn't really predict much. We know single parent households, regardless of the parent's sex, isn't good for the the parent or child. We know poverty is cyclical and difficult to get out of. We know the poverty, crime and drug abuse walk hand-in-hand.
But you will not find in the academic literature an emphasis on making sure a child has a father. It will emphasize stable housing, appropriate discipline, and loving, nurturing and supportive care takers. And it's silly to think it must be the mother and father because we probably all know at least a few people who were raised by grandparents, adopted parents, single parent, gay parents or whatever and they turned out just fine. And that is because love is genderless.
Both bio parents works best over all. There is a mountain of evidence for this. Popenoe wrote 2 book on the subject citing research across decades and many communities.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Both bio parents works best over all. There is a mountain of evidence for this. Popenoe wrote 2 book on the subject citing research across decades and many communities.
Except many times people raise a child that isn't actually biologically theirs but it's believed it is and raised just the same. My best friend recently learned her dad was raised in such a situation and her grandfather isn't her biological grandfather. But the ties of family run deeper than genetics and nothing has changed.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

In “unrelated news”

I notice that you haven’t actually proposed a solution to “fatherlessness”. What do you actually propose should be done?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Then most fathers not living with their children was due to their deaths. Now it's not, it's that they are not involved with their children.

We Never Know

No Slack

There are some that pretend the father is a dead beat and stay single to get/keep welfare, free medical, free dental, food stamps, etc.

F1fan

Veteran Member
A little data on poverty and single parent homes.

Summary of impacts of single parent families on poverty from .

Children of mother-headed families are the very poorest of the poor.

Single-parent families have less that 1/3 the median per capita income of children from two-parent families; Half of them fall below the poverty line

73% of children in single-parent families have lived some period of time in poverty by age 18 vs. 20% of children in two-parent families.

22% of single-parent families will experience persistent poverty vs. 2% of two-parent families. (page 55 of life without father David Popenoe)

Children born out of wedlock risks of living in poverty is 5 times greater than children growing up in intact families (page 64 of life without father David Popenoe)

In America, among families with dependent children, only 8.3 per cent of married couples were living below the poverty line, compared to 47.1 percent of female-headed households. ([1] U.S. Bureau of the Census, 1991)

In Australia, a recent study of 500 divorcees with children five to eight years after the separation found that four in five divorced mothers were dependent on social security after their marriages dissolved. (Kate Funder, et. al., Settling Down - Pathways of Parents After Divorce. Melbourne, Australian Institute of Family Studies, 1993.)

Figures from Monash University’s Centre for Population and Urban Research show that family break-up, rather than unemployment, is the main cause of the rise in poverty levels in Australia. (Bob Birrell and Virginia Rapson, “More single parents equals more poverty,” News Weekly, 18 October 1997, p. 8.)

One American study even arrived at this startling conclusion: the proportion of single-parent households in a community predicts its rates of violent crime and burglary, but the community's poverty level does not. Neither poverty nor race seem to account very much for the crime rate, compared to the proportion of single parent families. (Douglas Smith and Roger Jarjoura, “Social Structure and Criminal Victimization.” Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency 25, Feb. 1988.)

OK, you point out a problem. Oddly the title mentions "solving", yet you offer no solutions.

It's like a doctor saying "Hey you got cancer. Thanks for coming in."