• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some of the more modern musical geniuses

Aqualung

Tasty
I think Danny Elfman is a musical genius. Oingo Boingo is one of my favourite groups, and certainly one of the most interesting and unique and talented groups. Also, the score to such stuff as The Night Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Simpsons also speak of his genius.

What are some of the modern geniuses you guys like?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Aqualung said:
I think Danny Elfman is a musical genius. Oingo Boingo is one of my favourite groups, and certainly one of the most interesting and unique and talented groups. Also, the score to such stuff as The Night Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Simpsons also speak of his genius.

Danny Elfman is a fine example of musical genius. If it wasn't for his contribution to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory I would have probably walked out of the theater. Another Modern-Day-Mozart that I admire is Frank Zappa. The contribution he has given to music is immeasurable. He was a pioneer of digital technology. He was a master of not only rock but jazz, classical, show tunes and was a unique humorist. His catalog of musical accomplishments is enormous and is the only artist I know who is still releasing material long after his passing.

Zappa1.jpg

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Vanessa May is a name that comes to mind. But there again, walk into the town centre near where we live, and most days there will be incredibly talented people playing instuments......

Of course, I'm talking classical, although Vanessa has adapted her music to any audience.

Popeyesays

Aqualung said:

AMong my favorite songwriters: Harry Chapin (God bless his soul), Paul Simon (still hangin' in there and writing) Sheryl Crow, Kathy Matea, The Eagles, Leonard Cohen.

Modern composers: I think movie scores get a bum wrap as far as orchestral composition - I would put Sigfried Korngold (The Sea Hawk, Robin Hood, etc.) up with any classical composer in front of any critical audience. I think John Williams on a good day is almost equal to Korngold (but on a bade day? Well, everyone gets a few bad days). For the orchestra Copeland and Gershwin and Bernstein.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Popeyesays said:
AMong my favorite songwriters: Harry Chapin (God bless his soul), Paul Simon (still hangin' in there and writing) Sheryl Crow, Kathy Matea, The Eagles, Leonard Cohen.

Modern composers: I think movie scores get a bum wrap as far as orchestral composition - I would put Sigfried Korngold (The Sea Hawk, Robin Hood, etc.) up with any classical composer in front of any critical audience. I think John Williams on a good day is almost equal to Korngold (but on a bade day? Well, everyone gets a few bad days). For the orchestra Copeland and Gershwin and Bernstein.

Regards,
Scott
SHOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I left out my very favorite modern female songwriter - Nancy Griffith.

Regards,
Scott

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Popeyesays said:
Regards,
Scott
Heard of and agree with:paul Simon, Sheryl Crow,The Eagles add tom Paxton,Paul Mccartney

jonny

I don't know how much of his stuff he writes on his own, but I think that Jason Mraz is one of the most creative rock/pop artists out right now. His lyrics are really creative and he songs sound different than anything else I've heard. You can't help but be in a good mood when you listen to his stuff - Buy it so he'll do more! ;)

http://www.jasonmraz.com/

I love the stuff on Nightmare Before Christmas also. I'll have to look out for more of what Danny Elfman does. That dude is really creative.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Zappa seconded! In addition : Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Tony Williams, Miles Davis, Danny Carey, LTJ Bukem, Jon Anderson, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman, Jimi 1, Jimmy 2, All of Cream esp Clapton, and Michel... Paul McCartney???????????????:eek:

Zephyr

Moved on
Hmm, lesse here. Jason Mraz is pretty good. I first heard him on some music show my dad likes. I think it was Austin City Limits. I'll also third Zappa. I'm also gonna throw Cliff Burton into the pile because he has written some damn good metal.

Circle_One

I've got to add Darby Crash into the mix. While his band, the Germs, weren't very polished or well liked, he, himself, was a lyrical genius. While one could never really understand what he was babbling about while listening to his songs, reading his lyrics gives me shivers.

Joe Strummer is another genius I'd add.

FFH

Veteran Member
I am from the Oingo Boingo era. It is hard to beat that stuff. I was raised on 80's alternative rock. Now I am into alternative christian rock.

Aqualung

Tasty
FFH said:
I am from the Oingo Boingo era. It is hard to beat that stuff. I was raised on 80's alternative rock. Now I am into alternative christian rock.
I was raised on 80s alternative rock, too, even though I was barely alive in the 80s. :D

FFH

Veteran Member
Among the Christian music that I listen to is: P.O.D., Switchfoot, Dakoda Motor Co., Stacie Orrico, Michelle Tumes (similar to Enya), Newsboys, Iona, etc. Some of these are well known, some obscure, even in the christian world of music, P.O.D. being the most recognizable.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I have a fairly wide range of music I love.

1. Mike Oldfield (he is a gifted artist who plays NUMEROUS instuments, brilliantly. His discography stretches back to the early 70's) Prolly most famous for writing Tubular Bells, which became the theme for "The Exorcist".

http://www.mikeoldfield.com/flash/index.html

2. The Cure, Robert Smith is somewhat gothic and self loathing, but the depth of his style captivates my stunted imagination. Titles like "end", "open", "100 years" and "Lullaby" are amoungst my faves. (Note: This is not light listening!)

http://www.thecure.com

3. Roger Waters (of Pink Floyd fame) "Echoes" (Meddle 1971) is still one of my all time favorites. It is timeless. In his solo career, I discovered "Radio KAOS" during a bought of depression and it helped me ... a lot.

4. Isao Tomita/Larry Fast/Patrick Moraz/Rick Wakeman - Probably are the grandfathers of synthesized music. Tomita's most famous was "Snoflakes are dancing" and is often played around Christmass.

Honorable mention:
Marylin Manson, Linkin Park, The Moody Blues, Tangerine Dream, Robert Fripp, George Harrison and Vangelis... and finally YES.

My favorites of the week are: Radiohead's "Creep". The searing vocal on this track ought to tear your heart out. Highly recommended. Suitable for all audiences (with one minor swear word in the lyrics) The other is "Truth" by the Cure.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Thanks Aqualung.

In raunchier moments I rather like the pure energy of Velvet Revolver. Slash is simply a virtuoso, perhaps not everyone's cup of tea... but humbling, none the less. In the immortal word of Red Green, "Just becuase you are old, doesn't mean you can't be immature."
Yeah man! how could I forget Waters or Barrett for that matter. *Slaps self with large trout*

Tell me YmirGF, this Tangerine Dream of which you speak... Are they German fellas? I heard of them a while back but have never heard much. I like Yes and King Crimson and any kind of Symphonic rock I can get my hands on (Polyphonic Spree are alright but a little on the Positive-to-the-point-of-naievty). Are Tangerine Dream along this line?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I agree with michel on Paul McCartney, add John Lennon. Another one of my favorites is John Prine. His songs such as 'Sam Stone', 'Dear Abby', 'Illegal High'... Classics. If you never heard of him, do a google search and read some of his lyrics. Fabulous!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
SnaleSpace said:
Yeah man! how could I forget Waters or Barrett for that matter. *Slaps self with large trout*

Tell me YmirGF, this Tangerine Dream of which you speak... Are they German fellas? I heard of them a while back but have never heard much. I like Yes and King Crimson and any kind of Symphonic rock I can get my hands on (Polyphonic Spree are alright but a little on the Positive-to-the-point-of-naievty). Are Tangerine Dream along this line?
Yes, they are the german dudes. I saw them live in '86 and they sat down, backs to the audience, for the entire concert. Got up, waved... and left. :clap hehe Originally they were highly experimental, more tonal textures (On Alpha Centauri, Atem and Zeit, Phaedra, Rubicon and a few more.) Their later works have been highlighted as various movie soundtrack, Sorcerer and Exit come to mind. Another band coming from around 1970 or so, and still around. Edgar Frose, the frontman, also has several solo works. They literally have dozens and dozens of cds.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I agree with Zephyr. Cliff Burton was a great bassist who wrote some very great songs. The instrumentals he wrote for Metallica are great pieces of music. If you've never heard "The Call of Ktulu" I recomend you find it and listen to it. And his bass solo "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" proves a bass can be played just as good as a traditional guitar.

Another musical geniuse is Dimebag Darrel. Long live his great riffs and erie riffs and screeches on "Cemetary Gates."