• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some of the more modern musical geniuses

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Yes, they are the german dudes. I saw them live in '86 and they sat down, backs to the audience, for the entire concert. Got up, waved... and left. :clap hehe Originally they were highly experimental, more tonal textures (On Alpha Centauri, Atem and Zeit, Phaedra, Rubicon and a few more.) Their later works have been highlighted as various movie soundtrack, Sorcerer and Exit come to mind. Another band coming from around 1970 or so, and still around. Edgar Frose, the frontman, also has several solo works. They literally have dozens and dozens of cds.
Which ones would you recommend for starters?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
It depends of course on what you mean by "more modern."

My choices:

Van Morrison
The Eagles
Elton John
Lennon/McCartney
Paul Simon
Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell

Actually, I admire most of the above more for their poetry than their music.

Aqualung

Tasty
retrorich said:
By more modern, I just meant not somebody like Beethoven of somebody from way a long time ago. Your choices were "more modern" enough for me, and I agree with quite a few. Especially the Paul Simon one. :D

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
As far as "classical" music goes, my tastes run mostly to Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Dvorak. I haven't heard much 21st or 22nd century music that I like much--however Howard Hanson's Symphony Number One (The Romantic) is very nice. That was written in the 1940s.

NoName

I think those two guys from They Might Be Giants are geniuses. The way they make all that different kind of music, with all those different styles, just with themselves is amazing.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
SnaleSpace said:
Which ones would you recommend for starters?
Their early stuff is probably a bit too "bare bones" to bother with now, although it was fascinating hearing then AS they were released. The one that I still play on occaision is from 1975 called Ricochet. You may also consider listening while doing a light meditation and let the sound take you where it will. (Not quite, housework music, for example.)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
retrorich said:

My choices:

Van Morrison
The Eagles
Elton John
Lennon/McCartney
Paul Simon
Bob Dylan
Joni Mitchell

Actually, I admire most of the above more for their poetry than their music.
Ah Rich, you're talking my kind of music............:D

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Their early stuff is probably a bit too "bare bones" to bother with now, although it was fascinating hearing then AS they were released. The one that I still play on occaision is from 1975 called Ricochet. You may also consider listening while doing a light meditation and let the sound take you where it will. (Not quite, housework music, for example.)
That's ok, I'm a 20 something Bachelor. I don't do housework. :biglaugh: .

I do however meditate. I'll order it with my next lot of CDs, just got 7 new ones today.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
SnaleSpace said:
That's ok, I'm a 20 something Bachelor. I don't do housework. :biglaugh: .

I do however meditate. I'll order it with my next lot of CDs, just got 7 new ones today.
Hehe... I am now a happily un-married 50 year old bachelor, and I do know what you mean.

A suggestion: Do NOT play this for yourself without being in a meditative state to begin with, at least not the very first time. (IE. start the music say 15 minutes into a meditation. When you are settled have have found your centre.) Last, make sure the volume is sufficient for you to feel the music (Hopefully neighbours wont mind). Simmer for 17 minutes and serve with a chilled glass of juice after. :) Serves One.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Korn is another great group. Allthough thier new CD isn't that great, there older stuff combines a few types of genres into one great sounding group. Even the bagpipes fit thier style.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Gotta agree on the Tangerine Dream.

Have you ever listened to any Kitaro? John Tesh's 2 Tour De France discs (but NOTHING ELSE of his!).

Old stuff: Emerson Lake & Palmer. OLD Rush (2112, etc.); OLD Chicago; Jethro Tull; Carlos Santana; Kansas (Leftoverture); CSN&Y; OLD Moody Blues;

Jazz Stuff: Romantic Warrior; Weather Report; Miles; Deodato; Pat Metheney & Lyle Mays; John Kaizan Neptune and Mu-ryo; Buena Vista Social Club;

More Modern: Cirque du Soleil scores; David Arkenstone; Shadowfax;

Just learning: Trans-Siberian Orchestra;

More later, when I can look at my collection.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
YmirGF said:
Hehe... I am now a happily un-married 50 year old bachelor, and I do know what you mean.

A suggestion: Do NOT play this for yourself without being in a meditative state to begin with, at least not the very first time. (IE. start the music say 15 minutes into a meditation. When you are settled have have found your centre.) Last, make sure the volume is sufficient for you to feel the music (Hopefully neighbours wont mind). Simmer for 17 minutes and serve with a chilled glass of juice after. :) Serves One.
There's some tracks by Yes I like to listen to during altered states of consciousness as well, but I've just listened to some samples of Ricochet and wow! It's live ay?

I've had so many people recommend Phaedra to me I've gotta ask you're opinion. Don't worry about the era, the average original release date in my collection is probably 1972 (not counting the classics, which would probably make it circa 5th century due to a love of Chinese folk music. :cool: )

Reviewby John BushPhaedra is one of the most important, artistic, and exciting works in the history of electronic music, a brilliant and compelling summation of Tangerine Dream's early avant-space direction balanced with the synthesizer/sequencer technology just beginning to gain a foothold in nonacademic circles. The result is best heard on the 15-minute title track, unparalleled before or since for its depth of sound and vision. Given focus by the arpeggiated trance that drifts in and out of the mix, the track progresses through several passages including a few surprisingly melodic keyboard lines and an assortment of eerie Moog and Mellotron effects, gaseous explosions, and windy sirens. Despite the impending chaos, the track sounds more like a carefully composed classical work than an unrestrained piece of noise. While the title track takes the cake, there are three other excellent tracks on Phaedra. "Mysterious Semblance at the Strand of Nightmares" is a solo Edgar Froese song that uses some surprisingly emotive and affecting synthesizer washes, and "Movements of a Visionary" is a more experimental piece, using treated voices and whispers to drive its hypnotic arpeggios. Perhaps even more powerful as a musical landmark now than when it was first recorded, Phaedra has proven the test of time.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Engyo said:
Gotta agree on the Tangerine Dream.

Have you ever listened to any Kitaro? John Tesh's 2 Tour De France discs (but NOTHING ELSE of his!).

Old stuff: Emerson Lake & Palmer. OLD Rush (2112, etc.); OLD Chicago; Jethro Tull; Carlos Santana; Kansas (Leftoverture); CSN&Y; OLD Moody Blues;

Jazz Stuff: Romantic Warrior; Weather Report; Miles; Deodato; Pat Metheney & Lyle Mays; John Kaizan Neptune and Mu-ryo; Buena Vista Social Club;

More Modern: Cirque du Soleil scores; David Arkenstone; Shadowfax;

Just learning: Trans-Siberian Orchestra;

More later, when I can look at my collection.

Oh no! Did you just say ELP.... :tsk: . I love Prog rock. Esp the 70s varieties, but I won't listen to ELP. Genesis is about where I draw the line in that direction.

Musically interesting, but the Wank factor! They're off the scale there mate :p

nutshell

How about John Williams? If you can get past "Star Wars" and his other "pop" movie soundtracks, I think it's evident he has created some truly wonderful pieces? Anyone care to agree/disagree?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
SnaleSpace said:
Oh no! Did you just say ELP.... :tsk: . I love Prog rock. Esp the 70s varieties, but I won't listen to ELP. Genesis is about where I draw the line in that direction.

Musically interesting, but the Wank factor! They're off the scale there mate :p
Anybody who will do electronic versions of Aaron Copeland, or hymns, ain't a Wanker, mate! Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Carl Palmer...........Karn Evil 9, Fanfare for the Common Man, Hoedown, Jerusalem, Lucky Man........

Sure you aren't confusing them with ELO? Electric Light Orchestra was absolute wank. I almost ralphed just a day or so ago when JCPenney's started using their stuff in some new commercials on the tube.......

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Engyo said:
Anybody who will do electronic versions of Aaron Copeland, or hymns, ain't a Wanker, mate! Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Carl Palmer...........Karn Evil 9, Fanfare for the Common Man, Hoedown, Jerusalem, Lucky Man........

Sure you aren't confusing them with ELO? Electric Light Orchestra was absolute wank. I almost ralphed just a day or so ago when JCPenney's started using their stuff in some new commercials on the tube.......
Hahaha, nah not ELO. I have respect for Palmer. Definitely one of the better drummers I've heard... it's just so........ It's like they're trying too hard to be intellectual, and they've forgotten that music is spiritual too.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
What's wrong with ELO? I love them. Nothing beats "Love is like oxygen," that's for sure!
It's okay AquaTull. You're young. We understand and forgive you :p . ;)

Mostly because you like Paul Simon.

almifkhar

the one that comes to mind in our modern time (meaning he is recording now) is trent renzor. he is my favorate musican of the now modern era.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
SnaleSpace said:
Hahaha, nah not ELO. I have respect for Palmer. Definitely one of the better drummers I've heard... it's just so........ It's like they're trying too hard to be intellectual, and they've forgotten that music is spiritual too.
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree here......

Aqualung -

Love is Like Oxygen is NOT by Electric Light Orchestra - it is by Sweet.