• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some questions about evolution.

Noaidi

slow walker
No I really want to know; off the top of your head: Do you understand what you believe?

As far as my education allows me to. Those with a higher level of knowledge will surpass me.
I may not understand every facet of a functioning eye, but that's not to say that no-one else does.
If I wanted that knowledge, then I would ask those who do know to talk me through it step-by-step. The knowledge and understanding is there if I want it.

Archer

How about this...

If a creature has a mutation which makes slightly different from the rest of the creatures of that type, and this difference increases its chances of surviving long enough to have children, that mutation is passed on to its children.

Its children again has a higher probability of making it than the children of the creatures without the mutation. So slowly the chreatures without the mutation die off and the mutation becomes the norm.

An eye if usefull. Creatures with eyes can see preditors thus giving them the chance to escape leaving the blind creatures to be eaten. It also helps in localising food and mates.

So having an eye increases a creatures ability to survive, and any mutation which makes the eye better increases a creatures ability to survive.

One possible way an eye could evolve is this:
Diagram_of_eye_evolution.svg

Finally a reply but now go deeper. It started with one cell that then connected to what? Photosensitive cells are nothing without connections. I mean what would have connected them to the rudimentary blob of a brain at first?

lunakilo

Well if one believes in something should they not understand it completely before criticizing others who believe in a creator? I mean really; many have a very good understanding of their religious texts and a much better understanding of what they believe that evolutionists.
And many people have a very good understanding of evolution but spending time explaining the simplest things again and again to different people who ask the same question isn't most people idea of fun.

I posted an answer to your question about the evolution of an eye.
Feel free to ask questions if the explanation is unclear to you on some points.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Blind faith. Sounds exactly what you accuse others of.

Incorrect. There is no faith involved in learning about a scientific theory, understanding the basics of it, seeing that it has mountains of evidence to support it and it's accepted by all biologists, and seeing that it is fundamental in our understanding of medicine and living things.

Faith is believing in a being you've never sensed because others tell you that being exists.

Archer

As far as my education allows me to. Those with a higher level of knowledge will surpass me.
I may not understand every facet of a functioning eye, but that's not to say that no-one else does.
If I wanted that knowledge, then I would ask those who do know to talk me through it step-by-step. The knowledge and understanding is there if I want it.

So you really have no idea but you stand by what others believe? I am not saying you are right or wrong but how can one discount an intelligent design if they do not grasp the inner workings of the cellular relationships and how these relationships form?

lunakilo

Finally a reply but now go deeper. It started with one cell that then connected to what? Photosensitive cells are nothing without connections. I mean what would have connected them to the rudimentary blob of a brain at first?
All the cells on your skin are commected to your brain.

They can all feel heat for example.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Tell you what.... you tell me, in exacting detail, what Jesus did during the missing 20 years of the Bible and we'll talk.

Until then, go troll someplace else. :D

wa:do

Archer

And many people have a very good understanding of evolution but spending time explaining the simplest things again and again to different people who ask the same question isn't most people idea of fun.

I posted an answer to your question about the evolution of an eye.
Feel free to ask questions if the explanation is unclear to you on some points.

See post 25. You have shown me that you can read and find a link.

Noaidi

slow walker
So you really have no idea but you stand by what others believe? I am not saying you are right or wrong but how can one discount an intelligent design if they do not grasp the inner workings of the cellular relationships and how these relationships form?

I don't stand by what others believe - I stand by what has been researched and verified. As I said, the evidence is there should I wish to look at it (as many have done - eye surgeons, for example).

Archer

Tell you what.... you tell me, in exacting detail, what Jesus did during the missing 20 years of the Bible and we'll talk.

Until then, go troll someplace else. :D

Nope I posed a question and I think you may be one of the few here who may have a chance of answering.

Don't turn it around. Answer the questions.

Archer

I don't stand by what others believe - I stand by what has been researched and verified. As I said, the evidence is there should I wish to look at it (as many have done - eye surgeons, for example).

You mean you have not even looked at it?

lunakilo

Post 25:

See post 25. You have shown me that you can read and find a link.
So are you trying to tell me that I don't understand what I myself wrote in post #13?
That I just copied somthing somone els wrote somewhere and I have no idea what it means?
Or is it just you who don't understand what I wrote?

Archer

Post 25:

So are you trying to tell me that I don't understand what I myself wrote in post #13?
That I just copied somthing somone els wrote somewhere and I have no idea what it means?
Or is it just you who don't understand what I wrote?

Reading something and being able to repeat it shows me you can read and regurgitate. It does not explain the concepts. It does not explain cellular bonds.

Last edited:

E. Nato Difficile

Using the "logic" employed here, I could say that unless someone understands cellular telecommunications technology down to the most minute technical detail, that person takes it on faith that he's really talking to his mom on the phone.

-Nato

A

angellous_evangellous

Using the "logic" employed here, I could say that unless someone understands cellular telecommunications technology down to the most minute technical detail, that person takes it on faith that he's really talking to his mom on the phone.

-Nato

Heroic kindness.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Nope I posed a question and I think you may be one of the few here who may have a chance of answering.

Don't turn it around. Answer the questions.
I don't think it's possible to answer the question in the way you want it answered. Nor do I think you will accept any answer given.

However a few thoughts for you....
1) light detection is the result of proteins that change shape when they are exposed to light. The same proteins are used in everything that responds to light.
2) you don't need a brain to detect and respond to light, Euglena do this as a single celled organism.
3) you don't need a brain to have and use eyes... Box Jellyfish have no brains but they do have several useful eyes that they use to get around. The same goes for Scallops, functional eyes but no brain.

Archer

-Nato

Can you not tell me how:

1: A cell becomes photosensitive.
2: How that cell realizes that its connections to adjacent calls are inadequate?
3: How that cell communicates that it needs a more direct link to a processing device that can interpret its signals that does not even exist?
4: How that then develops into part of a brain that specifically interprets those signals?

That is for starters. We know how it works now but how did it get that way?

Oh and your reply is sidestepping. Sidestepping = fail.

A

angellous_evangellous

Oh and your reply is sidestepping. Sidestepping = fail.

Thanks for a magnificent failure in the shift of the burden of proof.

The entertainment factor, unfortunately, is greatly overshadowed by its sophomoric method.

Truly unfortunate.

Alceste

Vagabond
Well if one believes in something should they not understand it completely before criticizing others who believe in a creator? I mean really; many have a very good understanding of their religious texts and a much better understanding of what they believe that evolutionists.

Explain to me in meticulous detail how your god made the eyeball first, then, if your description of the process is satisfying, I'll have a go.

What did he make it out of? Why did he make it upside down?