• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something cannot come from nothing?

Cynic

I've heard the creationist arguement that something cannot come from nothing. Here is my question: Where did God come from then?

Ryan2065

I've always asked creationists the question, "Why is it so easy to think that god has been around forever, but you can't seem to believe that energy has been around forever?"

I never get good responses to that question... anyone here have any good responses?

Ori

Angel slayer
Maybe it was a giant chicken?
Or a cop?
A robot renegade cop?
A robot renegade cop with rollerskates and a taste for peanut butter?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Ryan2065 said:
I've always asked creationists the question, "Why is it so easy to think that god has been around forever, but you can't seem to believe that energy has been around forever?"
why would that be hard to imagine?

Ryan2065

Jewscout said:
why would that be hard to imagine?
I think it has to do with the fact that people have a hard time believing that something doesn't have a beginning. So therefore they have to say that in order for it to not have a beginning, there has to be some supernatural reason for it.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Something came from something that something came from something else.....you get it? :D

~Victor

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:
I think it has to do with the fact that people have a hard time believing that something doesn't have a beginning. So therefore they have to say that in order for it to not have a beginning, there has to be some supernatural reason for it.
As well as Victor's reply, just remember that Nature is so all encompassing that there is nothing above nature - except for God himself.

And, by the way, Jewscout is right too........
icon12.gif

Kowalski

jewscout said:
He is, He was, He always will be...

not much of an answer i'm sure but it's an answer:eek:
Your right, it isn't much of answer. You seem very certain when there is no evidence one way or the other.

K

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I like the Terry Prachett quote, "First there was nothing. And then it exploded."

Some percieve gods as having risen from belief. I choose to think that they are the spirits of other beings. Not all religions believe that diety came before creation.

ch'ang

artist in training
I believe that somethingness came out of nothingness and nothingness came out of somethingness to me you can't have one without the other, you can't have light without dark, up without down or anything else without its opposite. I hope that makes sense to everyone

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Ryan2065 said:

I never get good responses to that question... anyone here have any good responses?
The LDS belief on this topic is that matter is eternal, and that God created the universe out of pre-existing matter. In other words, we reject the doctrine of an ex nihilo creation. (I'm bracing for the fallout from my fellow Christians Knockout )

drekmed

this is something i have asked myself many times. if god has always existed, or if the universe has always existed. however i have come to the conclusion that both could both be true, that both god and the universe could have always existed.

if god has always existed then the universe has always existed. god is a supernatural being, so if he existed, and he was the only thing that existed, then he was the universe, and just added stuff to make things the way they are now.

now if god doesn't exist that means that the universe has always existed and there was no beginning, and with no beginning, there can be no end. now thats not to say it has always looked the way it does now, or that the laws were always the same.

picture a circular race course, and place a car on it. the car will go 80 mph around the course. its speed can be constant, and the car will not become unstable. this signifies the universe we are currently in. now picture the circle as a triangle. using the car as the example it would need to slow down when it reaches the corners in order to not go off course. this triangle signifies a universe different than ours. now if the circle were to somehow be changed to the triangle, or visa versa, the universe would still exist, just in a different form. there are an infinite amount of forms that can be used, some are almost exactly the same as the circle, and some are completely different.

this example can be used to help understand the question, from either side.
-god has always existed, he made the change in the course.
-god doesn't exist, the matter in the universe collapsed in on itself and then exploded out again causing the change.

i must admit, it is easier to believe in an all powerful being that has always been there, than to wrack my brain around the concept of the universe having always existed. however, i find myself unable resist the possibility that god doesn't exist, i do not understand either god or the universe, and must accept things that are, but that doesn't stop me from trying to figure it all out so that it makes sense to me. i refuse to follow anything blindly.

Drekmed

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Ryan2065 said:

Hi, Ryan! God created energy on the 1st day of creation. Thus He "predates" energy by "forever".

Rick123123

ch'ang said:
I believe that somethingness came out of nothingness and nothingness came out of somethingness to me you can't have one without the other, you can't have light without dark, up without down or anything else without its opposite. I hope that makes sense to everyone
Sorry, I missed this quote. Ch'ang in the physical universe what you explain is true, that one thing cannot exist without it's opposite. But in the metaphysical universe this law does not apply, one thing can exist without its opposite because in ultimate truth there is only two things us (consciousness) and love, and these two are interchangeable we are love, and love is us.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't believe all the dust and rocks and stuff formed with nothing to be created from. I belive the energetic manifestations of the god and goddess were around before creation. They slowly pulled themeselves together, but were still formless. Creation was made from them, starting with space, then the planets, then the creatures that dwell on those planets. Space was made first to allow room for physical creations.

Rick123123

LukeWolf said:
I don't believe all the dust and rocks and stuff formed with nothing to be created from. I belive the energetic manifestations of the god and goddess were around before creation. They slowly pulled themeselves together, but were still formless. Creation was made from them, starting with space, then the planets, then the creatures that dwell on those planets. Space was made first to allow room for physical creations.
They have come out with some new theories in science that hypothesize that when energy slows down enough it forms into matter. And so it is in new age religionists every thought you have send out a sort of radio like wave of energy, it is vibrating extremely fast, when enough of this energy "clumps" together the vibrations slow down and form matter.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Kowalski said:
Your right, it isn't much of answer. You seem very certain when there is no evidence one way or the other.

K
i was asked "Where did God come from then?"
i gave my answer based on my personal beliefs