• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sorcerer vs mage vs warlock

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Sorcerer=natural talent=artistic
mage=study=knowledge
warlock=pacts =and knowledge again i guess
witch=nature

Im a sorcerer and i think this might help explain part of my interest in chaos magic. and why my path differs so greatly from so many others.

For me magic comes freely and easily. The hardest part is shaping and controlling the magic. that came with practice.

Edit cause storm

Last edited:

Iti oj

Premium Member
Well of course education plays a role in any path. but as a source of your magic, and what does it take for you to do magic.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know if this is a regional thing or more to do with specific paths, but imx, it's just 'witch'. Using the first two in the circles I run with will get you derided for not knowing a Book Of Shadows from a D&D manual, and many Wiccans view 'warlock' as derogatory, though not something to be taken seriously.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Well of course education plays a role in any path. but as a source of your magic, and what does it take for you to do magic.
Hmm...depends. Generally speaking I do most of my work solo, but I get the most immediate and strongest results when I work through others (the whole Jesus "by your faith" stuff).

Iti oj

Premium Member
I don't know if this is a regional thing or more to do with specific paths, but imx, it's just 'witch'. Using the first two in the circles I run with will get you derided for not knowing a Book Of Shadows from a D&D manual, and many Wiccans view 'warlock' as derogatory, though not something to be taken seriously.
Im a chaote why do i need to know the difference.
I should have added witch to the list. but i suppose it would fall in line with mage?
And i do not feel witch adequately describes me my path or magic

Storm ill add witch to the op what word or phrase do you want connected with it

Iti oj

Premium Member
Hmm...depends. Generally speaking I do most of my work solo, but I get the most immediate and strongest results when I work through others (the whole Jesus "by your faith" stuff).
Well i defentiy agree with this. when i get to put on a show i get much better and faster results. they make the paradigm more real so to speak. Its easy to get sucked in when others get sucked in.
I would assume you fall under sorcerer and warlock the most.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Im a chaote why do i need to know the difference.
Why do you need categories of 'people who use magic?'

I should have added witch to the list. but i suppose it would fall in line with mage?
And i do not feel witch adequately describes me my path or magic
May I ask why?

Storm ill add witch to the op what word or phrase do you want connected with it
Um... your call. :shrug:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Well i defentiy agree with this. when i get to put on a show i get much better and faster results. they make the paradigm more real so to speak. Its easy to get sucked in when others get sucked in.
I would assume you fall under sorcerer and warlock the most.
I don't even fool with them. I just flatly state "do this and this will happen". They do it, it happens. For example, I had a friend of mine snap his fingers in order to silence a crying child. I had another clap to clear up a storm front. Just weird little gestures that actually worked.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Why do you need categories of 'people who use magic?'

May I ask why?

Um... your call. :shrug:
First question for the sake of discussion, and for clarification and well its more a test run for another forum im trying to post in.
second why. because im not a witch not do i do magic in the same way as any of the books i have read on witchcraft denote. Though i borrow more from witchcraft then magecraft.
In regards to both whys, because im a chaote and it doesn't have to make sense.
Id rather you come upwith something. but i would say more nature as a source of power ....?

Iti oj

Premium Member
I don't even fool with them. I just flatly state "do this and this will happen". They do it, it happens. For example, I had a friend of mine snap his fingers in order to silence a crying child. I had another clap to clear up a storm front. Just weird little gestures that actually worked.
Ok cool. i think i vibe with what your saying. Though storm is making me question my op and my "what kind thread"

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
First question for the sake of discussion, and for clarification and well its more a test run for another forum im trying to post in.
OK, so... for the same reasons, don't you think the difference between a BoS and D&D are worth noting?

second why. because im not a witch not do i do magic in the same way as any of the books i have read on witchcraft denote. Though i borrow more from witchcraft then magecraft.
What do you think a witch is?

In regards to both whys, because im a chaote and it doesn't have to make sense.
Even to you?

Id rather you come upwith something. but i would say more nature as a source of power ....?
I reject the supernatural, so.... that's everything.

You're the one wants to create a list of terms with different nuance. Don't look at me.

Iti oj

Premium Member
OK, so... for the same reasons, don't you think the difference between a BoS and D&D are worth noting?

What do you think a witch is?

Even to you?

I reject the supernatural, so.... that's everything.

You're the one wants to create a list of terms with different nuance. Don't look at me.
Bos vs D&D... no not at all their both equally made up imo. Just bos is more usable to the day to day practitioner . Edit it depends on the topic and whom im talking to and why.

I think i witch is some one who uses magic from natural sources but not a shaman or a druid.

Well i prefer when it makes sense but i do not require or need it to make sense. actually enjoyment trumps logic anyday of the week in regards to magic.

me to, unless im using in a paradigm. (like im doing off and on in this thread)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Based on your definitions, I wouldn't feel comfortable pigeonholing myself to one of those categories.

As a trained artist who dabbled in magical things long before I knew a community for such things even existed, you could call me the first.

As a trained scientist and academic who has a love of book learning, you could call me the second.

As someone who has worked with entities in the otherworlds from a young age and continues to do so now, you could call me the third.

As someone whose science/career/religious focus is Gaea (nature), you can call me the fourth.

We're also missing wizard in here. Truly, what Iti is calling "mage" I would call "wizard." As for what "mage" would be, I don't really know.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Based on your definitions, I wouldn't feel comfortable pigeonholing myself to one of those categories.

As a trained artist who dabbled in magical things long before I knew a community for such things even existed, you could call me the first.

As a trained scientist and academic who has a love of book learning, you could call me the second.

As someone who has worked with entities in the otherworlds from a young age and continues to do so now, you could call me the third.

As someone whose science/career/religious focus is Gaea (nature), you can call me the fourth.

We're also missing wizard in here. Truly, what Iti is calling "mage" I would call "wizard." As for what "mage" would be, I don't really know.
perhaps mage=elemental magic from study
and wizard= what i use for mage?

and i see what your saying. their is way to much overlap and independence in practice for concrete answers. though i do appreciate you playing along with the op

Vultar

All of these terms are simply derivatives of the same thing and all rooted in the same original source. Much as branches are all derivatives of the tree they are a part of. If you were to trace them all back you would find the same root :D

Iti oj

Premium Member
i would still lean the first term because magic is easy its my own mind i must master and more often then not i have to work to prevent magic not create it.

Iti oj

Premium Member
All of these terms are simply derivatives of the same thing and all rooted in the same original source. Much as branches are all derivatives of the tree they are a part of. If you were to trace them all back you would find the same root :D
Well thats for sure. haha i think "weave" might be a good name for the source?