• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soto Zen Buddhism

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Master Vigil said:
Engyo, and others, what is your opinion of Soto Zen Buddhism?
Master Vigil -

I don't have any problems with it per se; it is not the form of Buddhism I practice, and I would need to study in order to be able to compare and contrast fine doctrinal points. I know it has a long history in Japan.

Did you have some specific questions? I can point you to some other resources (on some other forums) who would be far more knowledgable than I.

Master Vigil

Well, I am seriously considering training for ordination in Soto Zen. And from what I read, and practice, it seems very much like taoism philosophically, confucian ritually, and buddhist religiously. Which is awesome because that is almost exactly what I am. But I don't have the buddhist experience that you have, and I just wanted your opinion of it.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Master Vigil -

I would then recommend visiting E-Sangha and dicussing this with some Soto Zen folk directly, if you aren't working with some people already.

Beyond that, I would also recommend doing some reading/studying on Japan and Japanese customs and practices, because you will run into a lot of stuff that is Japanese as well as a lot of Buddhist stuff. The Japanese stuff, particularly, can sort of stick sideways for Westerners if you aren't prepared for it.

Much fortune on your Path!

Master Vigil

I am quite familiar with Japanese customs from my martial arts experience, so that won't be a big deal. I am just interested more in the religious/philosophical area.

I will visit E-Sangha as soon as I can. Thank you Engyo.

ate

Why practice so many forms of Buddhism instead of finding one universal truth in the matter?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
ate said:
Why practice so many forms of Buddhism instead of finding one universal truth in the matter?
Well, I think all of us are probably looking for that truth, but I don't believe that it's universal. Or maybe it's universal, but we each understand it in very different ways, which leads to the "84,000 Dharma Gates" or all of the different forms and styles of Buddhism. What works for me, appeals to me, teaches me, may not do the same for you; Buddha taught expedients so that he could reach everyone.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
Master Vigil said:
Well, I am seriously considering training for ordination in Soto Zen. And from what I read, and practice, it seems very much like taoism philosophically, confucian ritually, and buddhist religiously. Which is awesome because that is almost exactly what I am. But I don't have the buddhist experience that you have, and I just wanted your opinion of it.
Ordination? I'm not sure if what you mean by this is what I imagine. Do you mean, take the boddhisattva vows and become a monk?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Scarlett Wampus said:
Ordination? I'm not sure if what you mean by this is what I imagine. Do you mean, take the boddhisattva vows and become a monk?
Scarlett -

Ordination in most Japanese forms of Buddhism is not monastic - except for possibly certain periods of training. My wife is going through a similar process in Nichiren Buddhism - she is currently in Japan taking a test. As for Bodhisattva vows, we recite those during our daily services, whether we are laypeople or clergy.

In Nichiren Buddhism, we call our clergy "ministers" rather than priests or monks, since they are not monastic. Most Japanese clergy are not celibate, and can marry. My wife took vows as a shami, or novice minister, in October of 2002 and went to Japan for formal initiation in April of 2003. She has been in training ever since, working with her sensei, and attending a week-long workshop every November. She has 2 tests in Japan this year, and will most likely take her final 35-day monastery training in April or May of next year. Upon completion of that, she will be considered ordained as a Nichiren Buddhist minister.

Does that clarify a bit?

koan

Soto Zen, chinese Ts'ao-Tung school , is Patriachal Zen. In most of China and Korea Zen teachings such as Ts'ao-Tung and Lin-Chi ( Rinzai ) etc. are combined, untill one is aware fully which Way ( Do, Tao ) suits one best, then generaly follows that way. To say whether Soto Zen is any good or not depends on ones nature. Only in Japan I believe are the different ways fully split.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend,
All studies are from the mind and the idea is to drop that very MIND.
So is it necessary to do to be.
To do is ACTIOn.
to be is EGO
Both leads to unqualification for the purpose.
How many more births, is the question
The choice is individual's
Either way through revolution or through evolution every being will reach THERE.
Love & rgds