• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park and Religion

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
LongGe123 said:
As someone who doesn't exactly "appreciate" organised religion, I don't see anything wrong with the way religion is shown in South Park - in fact I think it's hilarious.
Intentionally misrepresenting someone else's beliefs and ridiculing those beliefs is, in my opinion, not satire at all. I don't find any kind of humor that degrades someone else to be "hilarious." That goes for ethnic jokes as well as religious jokes. I do, however, find true satire very, very funny -- even religious satire, and I can laugh at my own religion's cultural oddities. I'm just not amused by lies.

nutshell

cardero said:
What many people don't know is that Trey Parker (and possibly Matt Stone) were Mormon. Their films (Cannibal: The Musical and Orgasmo) both poke fun at the The Church Of Latter Day Saints.
FYI: The proper name of the church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Not The Church of Latter Day Saints.