• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual vs Physical

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
What's the difference? Wouldn't ghosts and spirits be physical? I imagine them to be gas-like or something.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Physical: Things that can be demonstrated to exist.
Spiritual: Things that some propose exist but have not been scientifically validated.

Things that would have once been considered spiritual or supernatural concepts have been incorporated into science. Electromagnetic radiation (radio waves, light waves, gamma waves, etc) consists of massless particles (particle wave duality, actually) that are capable of transmitting energy and information through a pure vacuum. Neutrinos are particles, emitted from the sun, that have an extremely small rest mass, and are able to pass through most matter without almost any interaction. Billions or more of them pass through our bodies every second, and they are difficult but not impossible to detect. But these things are physical because we can do things like demonstrate that they exist, showcase their mathematical interactions, and so forth.

Erebus

What's the difference? Wouldn't ghosts and spirits be physical? I imagine them to be gas-like or something.

Spiritual is a terribly hazy word. For the most part it refers to the concept of the soul and to deities/demons/angels etc. The actual interpretation of what can be considered spiritual varies, some people (myself included) would argue that spirituality and psychology are almost indistinguishable.

As for ghosts and spirits, it really depends on what exactly they are. If they exist and are something separate from both matter and psychology, then spiritual might be a good term for them. If they exist and they are some form of "energy creature" for want of a better term, then physical is the best description. If they don't exist then fictional is the best description and until we know for a fact they exist/don't exist, then supernatural is as good a description as any.

Now you can go through that last paragraph and interpret almost every term I've supplied differently to the way I intended it. That's the beauty of semantics and the main reason I've not given a straight answer ;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I don't know if I can explain this or not, but to me, the difference lies strictly in how fine the matter is. In other words, I believe that spirit is matter. It's just matter that is too fine for human eyes to be able to see under normal circumstances.

Sum1sGruj

Spirits and science.
Interesting, but contradictory.
Religion is usually a stance on divinity and supernatural intrigue, which by extension needs no scientific explanation.

But, if I went on a scientific approach, I would say that our bodies are embodiments of our souls, and our souls are bridges to other universes.
There is a lot of theory in physics that dive into the concepts of parallel universes and hidden dimensions.
For example, the 4th spatial dimension is right here where we are, and yet we cannot see it because we are not on that dimensional plane. In the 4th spatial dimension, you can see all sides of a 3D object at once, and be able to go from a location to the next without having to travel around 3D space.
Pretty god-like if you ask me.

Further note that when I say we cannot 'see' this higher dimension, it is a paradox that parallels with this logic:
We cannot see atoms, and yet everything is made of atoms.
Therefore, we can see it, we just can't 'see' it.
Marinate on it because it's super hard to explain lol.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
A decision is being made....as you respond to this thread.

If you say physical.....
Then the spirit that you are is the result of your chemistry.
The spirit you are..... is as temporary as the chemistry.
When the reaction fails...so do you.

If you say spirit first....
Then there is a possibility that you might continue....after you die.

I am willing to say there is life after death.
This life....created by God....is designed to form an individual spirit.
Your linear existence insures it.

There is no mystery to life.
You are here to learn all that you can....then go back to God.

If your spirit....the part you that is reading this.....
is begot of chemistry....
your spirit fails as you lay down to breath your last breath.

If your spirit is greater than your chemistry....(you think you're in control) as you say...as you do....carries over into the next life.

If there is life after death....many have gone before you.
They know the territory and the language and the scheme of things.

You will be at the mercy of whatever stands over you.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

According to Hindu understanding, a ghost is a material body. But unlike us, it is 'made up of' ether element or something like that.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So perhaps the question is not so deep?

In science....it is energy or matter...or not at all...

There's been some recent expansion on that notion...but for this question..

Your body is physical enough.
But is your spirit energetic?

There have been experiments to find such energy.
So far.... nothing profound.

Then the discussion comes up to theology.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Physical things are things that are impacted by the laws of physics. Spiritual things are things that impact us spiritually.

Ghosts are figments.

Edit: Ghosts take up residence in our memory. They show themselves at times when they need to be remembered, rather than times when we need reminding.

Last edited:

userque

I tend to think of the spiritual as being an additional dimension(s). A dimension with different and/or additional "physics."

Entities in this dimension may possess the ability to manifest into "our" "physical" realm in varying degrees, according to the particular entity's capabilities/permissions/etc.

For example, when we humans draw pictures on paper, that can be compared to us manifesting into or manipulating a two dimensional realm.

The drawing will have no awareness of the higher dimension, outside of an entity from the higher dimension granting/allowing such awareness.

In other words, the physical is a subset of the spiritual.