• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Star Trek TOS: Balance of Terror

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
This was and continues to be one of my favorite episodes from Star Trek. I remember first watching it when I was very small and couldn't really understand what was happening.

But on later viewings, one thing that seemed clear was the Kirk must have been one of the luckiest Starfleet captains there ever was. On several occasions, he's shooting at a cloaked Romulan ship, firing blind, yet hits him every time.

An interesting side bit in this episode is that it starts off with two crew members about to get married in the Enterprise chapel, with Captain Kirk officiating and Scotty giving away the bride. Two crew members from the forward phaser room - which is strange because in other episodes, they fire phasers directly from the bridge. There is no "forward phaser room."

Another character in this episode who figured prominently was Lt. Stiles, who only appeared in this episode, though his character appears in some works of fan fiction. This was also Mark Lenard's first appearance in Star Trek, playing the role of the Romulan captain.

But Kirk was awfully lucky, when you really look at it.
Kirk was definitely lucky in many ways. Except tribbles. They overwhelmed him.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I was just rewatching this episode last night, and I didn't think about it before, but there's a scene where Captain Kirk is lying on his bunk in his quarters. Yeoman Rand just walks in, without ringing the door chime, and asks if he wants something from the galley. Then Dr. McCoy just walks right in afterward. I remember reading somewhere that the writers didn't want a relationship between Kirk and Yeoman Rand in order for him to be free to pursue all of his alien love interests. But they always seemed to have these moments. I also heard that Grace Lee Whitney left the show because of Gene Roddenberry.
As a boy, she was a character that attracted my interest.

I was reading that her departure (contractual release) was due to substance abuse. Roddenberry seemed to lament the loss.

Janice Rand - Wikipedia.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I think that was one of the best episodes of the entire corpus...
I thought it was a very good story and would be so regardless of the military setting. Sisko compromising his values in order to win the bigger picture is something many people have faced in this world. That it ate at him while being pleased with the result at the same time was believable and well performed situation.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Kirk was definitely lucky in many ways. Except tribbles. They overwhelmed him.

1718245587638.png