• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Statements that have profound meaning for you.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
jacquie4000 said:
We all come across statements, quotes, poems, spritual sayings....many things that once we hear we never forget....

What are the sayings you never forget or have profound meaning in your life.

Some are from my own Mother - she was an extremely wise woman;

"nothing in life will ever be as good, nor as bad as you expect it to be"
One of my own "A problem is not a problem until it becomes one" - and that one is aimed atmy wife who s a chronic worrier..

I am sure there are many others, but I can't think of them offhand.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
"Never forget you're a Bosniak, my darling Djamila. Hold this, about yourself, in the highest esteem and never allow it to be swept away because, if you do, the Christians will enthusiastically remind you what you are, and it won't be a pleasurable experience."

"Live a good life, my darling. I promise you, if any of those killed today could trade your place, they would change the world with the great lives they would lead. You have a responsibility to live not just for yourself, but on behalf of the thousands and thousands of our people that are no longer with us."

"You are not Muslim simply by being a Muslim, my darling. You know, in your heart, that you are Muslim but that does not have any impact on your life. You are Muslim by what you are, and how you treat others. That, my darling, is the most important thing."

"Take that thing off her head, Munira, because I fear I could be too rough if you refuse and force me to remove it myself. No daughter of mine is going to cover her hair in rags like a woman shamed. You hear me, Djamila? You hold your head high, and don't let anyone, I mean anyone, force you down."

"They ask us what we do for revenge. I tell them, we will rebuild our Bosnia and be, once again, something that is beautiful and good." - President Izetbegovic

"Nothing is worth more than this day."

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Every thing is perfect as it is. Love it. Own it. Be it.

A general gist of something I have read. When you have a 'relationship' with pain, you have to come up with ways to cope as you go along. Pain meds certainly can help, but are generally not enough (unless you want to medicated sleep through life). I try to view my life and condition as perfect the way they are. That I am like this for a reason, even though I don't know why. I placed ownership on my pain, it doesn't own me anymore.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
Mahatma Gandhi

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Gandhi

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Here is another of my favorites:

"When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."
George Washington Carver

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I love this one!!!

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and
true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Anonymous

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
I really like Confucious' words.

"Since fear is mostly about ignorance, the best part is that it is as temporary as you choose."
Christine Comaford

"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon or star."
Confucius

"There is more stupidity around than oxygen, and it has a longer shelf-life."
Frank Zappa

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Maragaret Mead

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Another of my favorites..

Jesus said, "If your leaders say to you, 'Behold, the kingdom is in the sky', then the birds in the sky will get there before you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea', then the fish will get there before you. Rather, the kingdom is inside you and outside you. When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and will understand that you are children of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, the you live in poverty, and embody poverty." The Gospel of Thomas-saying 3

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
"When a Croat woman finds the scratches of another woman on her husband's back, she will be devastated and will leave him in a fury of anger and sadness. When a Bosniak woman finds the scratches of another woman on her husband's back, she will press her own fingers into those red lines until they bleed to mark her territory. That is how it has always been, and always will be, among us."

When Rebecca West made her famous 1937 journey through Yugoslavia, she described the illiterate Bosnian village women as having to wait on their husbands while they eat, take sound beatings every now and again, work till they drop, even while child-bearing, and walk while their master rides. But the picture was not totally bleak. Noting the way these tall, sinewy women held their bodies, and the expressions on their faces, she added, "but I will eat my hat if these women were not free in the spirit."

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
"Yesterday is already a dream and tomorrow is only a vision, but today well-lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope." Sanskrit Proverb

"Our deeds still travel with us from afar, and what we have been makes us what we are." George Eliot

"He who knows others is wise: He who knows himself is enlightened." Lao Tzu

"Nature does not hurry, yet all is accomplished." Lao Tzu

"The wildlife of today is not ours to dispose of as we please. We have it in trust, and must account for it to those who come after.
King George IV

"We must look to nature and her mystical ways so that we may learn to live in harmony and thus survive."
Anonymous

"To sit alone with my concience Will be judgement enough for me."
Charles Williams Stubbs

"The friendship that can cease has never been real."
St. Jerome

"Who looks outside dreams, who looks inside wakes."
C.G. Jung