• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stoicism on Trans Issues

Ella S.

*temp banned*
== What is Stoicism? ==

Stoicism was a movement that originated with Zeno of Citium and his student, Chryssipus. It was a development of Cynic philosophy, which in itself was an elaboration of Socratic ideas. In order to understand what Stoicism is, we must first understand the key ideas that it is founded upon and what Stoicism adds.

In the surviving Socratic discourses, Socrates rarely makes a positive argument. Instead, he engages in what one might call a form of skeptical inquiry, which is at the heart of the Socratic method. This on its own would go on to influence Pyrrho and later the philosophical skeptics, although Socrates himself is not quite as radical in his discourses.

Socrates seems to lead his interlocutors to a small handful of positive assertions which he cannot find any reasonable doubt against. Among this small handful of assertions is the idea that virtue constitutes a kind of knowledge. This position is known as Socratic intellectualism. Due to the fact that this conclusion is reached through deduction in the discourses, Socratic intellectualism also constitutes a form of moral rationalism, which is the belief that reason is the source of moral truths.

Entire books can be, and have been, written on understanding Socratic ethics. I have read several of them, as well as the debates that surround them to this day. There is quite a bit that remains controversial about Socratic ethics, and this is partially due to the fairly well-attested fact that Socrates's intellectualism does not form a complete ethical philosophy on its own. Rather, it laid a foundation of common ground upon which later philosophers could build upon.

This was no secret to the ancients, either. While Socrates and his student, Plato, were highly influential in ancient Greco-Roman philosophy, many different currents of thought spawned from their ideas. For the purposes of this post in particular, we will stick to his idea of Socratic intellectualism, because it is key to understanding Stoic normative theory.

Cynicism developed Socratic intellectualism into a philosophy of radical asceticism. In a teleological sense, if knowledge is good, then that which produces knowledge is instrumentally valuable. Reason leads to knowledge, and so reason is valuable. If knowledge is the only good, then anything that does not lead to knowledge is not valuable.

The Cynics realized that social conventions of their time were not in accordance with the nature of reason in this way. In fact, their society valued many things which did not lead to knowledge, such as wealth, social status, and most material possessions. Accordingly, Cynics became well-known for living as homeless nudists, and were often jobless. In fact, they openly mocked and rejected figures who held high status, viewing them with moral disdain.

More than this, the concept of cosmopolitanism was invented by the Cynics, which would later play an important role in Stoicism. Cosmopolitanism was, in part, a consequence of the rejection of society and its conventions. Cynics considered themselves to be "of the world" or of nature, not belonging to any nation or state whose land they might happen to occupy. They specifically antagonized the elitism of the concept of national citizenship and, in declaring themselves citizens of the world, made it clear that their way of life could be taken up by anyone without such artificial boundaries.

This might sound like liberal rhetoric, but it's very important to understanding the origins of Stoicism and the root of its ethical system.

Without cosmopolitanism, Zeno of Citium would never have taught philosophy. Zeno, the founder of Stoicism, was a dark-skinned immigrant to Athens. His mentor, Crates of Thebes, was a Cynic. Through Crates, Zeno was able to obtain a deeper education in philosophy and pass on his ideas to his followers. This idea of cosmopolitanism became a mainstay in the Stoic philosophy of justice, transforming itself into a form of radical egalitarianism.

Zeno described what his ideal cosmopolitan society would look like in his version of "Republic." While only fragments of this work and its exegesis from his students survived, these fragments on their own tell us quite a bit about the consequences of Zeno's ideas.

Beyond this, Zeno mitigated the asceticism of the Cynics by affirming that some things, such as wealth, could have value if they were used for good ends, such as funding schools. As Stoicism progressed, Stoics mostly remained in agreement with Cynic doctrine, often considering the homeless nudists of Cynicism to be practicing genuine virtue. They never abandoned the underlying ascetic ideas entirely and, for the most part, seemed to consider the Cynics' lifestyles as compatible with Stoicism, even if not all Stoics lived in the way that Cynicism demanded.

There was some disagreement, however. Later Stoics would criticize asceticism as being irrationally preoccupied with fleeing pleasure. While there might not be value or reason in collecting, for example, an expensive vase, Stoics still believed that one could have such a possession without moral corruption. The Cynics might dismiss the vase as valueless, and the Stoics would agree, but the Stoics did not see owning such a vase as necessarily harmful.

== Natural Purpose ==

A key idea to Stoicism, which has its roots in Cynicism, is a focus on Nature. Nature, in this context, is not wilderness. Rather, "Nature" is a general term that refers to the natural, physical world.

Stoicism was a predecessor of and a major influence on epistemic rationalism, holding that logic alone is the source of all truth. They also adopted the moral rationalism of Socrates, holding that reason could give us insight into important moral truths. The way that reason could lead to moral knowledge, to the Cynics and the Stoics, was through rationally analyzing Nature.

Similar to biological functionalism and evolutionary teleonomy, the Stoics believed in natural purposes. A heart's natural purpose, for instance, is to pump blood. A leg's natural purpose is locomotion. An eye's natural purpose is to see.

Reason's natural purpose included both practical reason and theoretical reason. Under practical reason, one should be able to work towards long-term goals even if this means rejecting immediate gratification, and this is tied to the virtues of temperance and courage. Under theoretical reason, one should be proficient in logic, in understanding the world around them, as well as in knowing what things are and are not useful or valuable, and this is tied to the virtues of prudence and justice.

Due to the fact that practical reason is responsible for discipline, reason was viewed as a kind of ruler of the whole of an individual person. At least, reason's natural purpose was thought to be such. Despite this, people could still think and act contrary to reason, which was considered to be unnatural. While this was expected to some extent from children, since they are still maturing and developing, an adult who acts irrationally would be considered to be acting against their own ideal human nature.

== Virtues of Dispassion ==

Irrationality was thought to mostly be the product of the "pathon," which is variously translated in English as passions or emotions. The passions were often divided between irrational aversions and appraisals, as well as whether the object of these temperaments was in the past or the future. They could then be further divided to name almost every human emotion, aside from the emotions that were considered to be a part of the eupathon. The eupathon are not really morally relevant to this topic, in my opinion, so I am omitting them here.

The passions are a somewhat difficult concept to translate correctly. Ancient Greeks did not have the same psychological concepts that modern English speakers have. Passions were understood more as a kind of judgment, usually an erroneous or mistaken assumption about value. "Passion" was, in essence, a form of what we might call "emotional reasoning."

Due to the fact that the Stoics adopted the moral rationalism of Socrates, they fully believed that objective value could be ascertained through reason alone. Emotions (and "moral intuitions") merely obscured morality and were not considered to be valid sources of truth. Logic was the source of truth, after all, and it was considered the responsibility of the individual to live up to that natural purpose by studying and mastering logic.

Displays of excessive emotion were seen as the product of passion and a lack of discipline. Laughter in particular was often singled out as a sign of stupidity to the ancient Stoics. This is where capital "S" Stoicism gets its association with lowercase "s" stoicism. It's why Stoics are often stereotyped as inexpressive, often to the point of being comically serious or having nerves of steel. Of course, in practice, not all Stoics lived up to or even sought out these extremes.

A lack of passion or emotion was called apatheia, translated as apathy, dispassion, or emotionlessness. It was not normally sought out for its own sake, but it was thought to be a direct product of a mature person living in accordance with their rational nature.

[1/2]

Ella S.

*temp banned*
== Stoicism on Therapy and Transition ==

You might think that this means that Stoicism advocates for the suppression of emotion. Surprisingly, you would be (at least partially) wrong. When I said that displays of excessive emotion were seen as the product of passion and a lack of discipline, earlier Stoics were far more concerned with tackling the "passion" part of the equation than the "discipline" one.

In one of the earliest texts on therapy in history, "On Passions," it is made quite clear that someone who is currently undergoing the effects of passion might not be reachable. It explicitly compares the state of passion to inebriation. The Stoics were quite aware that, under the influence of alcohol, one's rational faculty becomes obscured and inept.

Instead of curing passion, Stoics advocated for a form of strict avoidance. Just as they advocated for temperance when it came to alcohol, they likewise focused on strategies for preventing passion from arising to begin with over strategies for stopping the passion altogether. This approach influenced cognitive psychology and is tied to the development of dialectical-behavioral therapy. It's also quite similar to acceptance-commitment therapy, and has lead to some developments on that approach, as well.

The Stoics explicitly talk about the importance of mental health and how the health of the mind is just as important as the health of the body. They advise that people seek out therapists to help them overcome their problems and trust the expertise of therapists to guide them out of passion. Psychiatric pathology still bears the mark of these ideas; "pathology" and "pathological" have the Greek word for passion right in their names.

What if we followed this advice when it came to trans issues? What would it look like if we listened to what experts of psychology are telling us? What would it mean for a trans person to avoid situations that might arouse passion in them?

These are not rhetorical questions. Experts of psychology are affirming the experience of transgender people. They even advise medical transition in some cases, so that trans people can avoid the passions that arise from the gender dysphoria they feel from their own bodies.

In my strong opinion, a proper understanding of Stoic ethics makes it clear that it is more unnatural to force people to live with gender dysphoria than to help them socially (and perhaps medically) transition. It's comparable to leaving a wound untreated by a doctor. It is the wound itself that is unnatural, not the treatment. While not all transgender people experience gender dysphoria, gender dysphoria itself is a wound to the mind just as a laceration is a wound to the body. We know how to heal it with a high degree of success; study after study has shown that transitioning (in whichever ways are pertinent to the afflicted) is the most effective treatment.

The alternative that has been proposed is more akin to trying to discipline oneself out of passion, which is explicitly what the Stoics argue at length against. This is the idea behind conversion therapy, where the goal is often to treat gender dysphoria (or simply being transgender in general) by reaffirming an individual's gender identity with their apparent anatomical sex. This doesn't work. We know it doesn't, we have the literature on it. Conversion therapy makes things worse, and this should be no surprise to the Stoic.

You might say that medical transition is unnatural, but is medical treatment unnatural? Is surgery unnatural? Would we call a prosthetic limb unnatural? The Stoics wouldn't. It is human nature to use our God-given reason to solve these problems and to help one another return to our natural states. The natural state of a person is, chiefly, one of reason. The body is merely an instrument to this end. Stoicism is very clear on that. If modifying the body helps to achieve reason, even if it's merely by alleviating a source of passionate distress, then it is not only reasonable to do so but it is our responsibility to do so. It is the fulfillment of our natural purpose.

== Transphobia ==

Transphobia would have been seen as an irrational aversion by the Stoics. In fact, "-phobia" was considered to be one of the cardinal passions under Stoicism. Phobia was considered to be any aversion towards something that is outside of one's direct control.

This would only cover transphobia in a very narrow sense. This mostly applies to feeling afraid of being assaulted by trans people in bathrooms, for example, or being afraid that trans people are going to abuse children. Any sense of threat you might feel towards anyone who is simply existing while not conforming to social gender norms would have been considered cowardice by the Stoics.

Even if there is no aversion in the concern surrounding these topics, the Cynic forefathers would openly ridicule you for clinging so tightly to social convention and tradition. You would be hard-pressed to find a worse ancient philosophy to support your fear of the dissolution of social conventions than Stoicism, which rejects both social convention and fear.

More than this, these anti-trans narratives are a violation of the radical egalitarianism that cosmopolitanism stands for. Trans people are as much citizens of the world as any other demographic. Their natural place is by our side, as our equals, not cast out as pariahs and demonized as thinly-veiled violent offenders.

Stoicism does not have a concept of human rights. Later Stoicism does, however, come close to arguing for a social constract based on a rational extrapolation of cosmopolitanism. Part of that social contract means striving to not only improve one's own natural capacities, but those of others. You should help the trans people in your life overcome their obstacles, and one of the easiest and most efficient ways to do this is by affirming their gender. Use their preferred name and pronouns, save them the potential dysphoria so that their mind can reason without the distracting influence of passion. All of society benefits from having another clear-minded person.

== Closing Thoughts ==

I apologize if some of this sounds a bit too truscummy due to having such a center focus on medical transition. I wrote this mostly for myself as a way of organizing my own thoughts on the subject, but I realized that it might be worth sharing with RF, too. The process of making this was meditative for me.

I am not transgender myself. I do not want to dominate the subject. I'd be interested in feedback from trans people and trans-affirming intellectualists and rationalists.

I have been in LGBT spaces for awhile trying to figure myself out and it's helped me realize that I'm a lesbian. Unfortunately, homosexuality is a more contentious topic in Stoicism than transgender people are, I think. I could write a separate essay for that, but I'm still processing this revelation.

I thought it was important to at least have the rough outline for a Stoic defense of trans people, given the prevalence of queerphobia in modern Stoic movements. Even if this isn't the best defense and there are issues with it, I think it's a good first step towards understanding the inherent inclusivity buried within Stoicism and developing that into more complex arguments against the malicious abuse of its ideas.

[2/2]