• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Student shoved and accosted over pledge.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ngl, the American pledge of allegiance has always looked rather cult like and straight out of a dystopian novel. It’s a little creepy.
I understand if you’re swearing some kind of allegiance to your country in a specific ceremony. A Memorial Day thing, or becoming a citizen or whatever.
But every day at school, like I see on TV?
That’s a bit…..odd

No offence

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ngl, the American pledge of allegiance has always looked rather cult like and straight out of a dystopian novel. It’s a little creepy.
I understand if you’re swearing some kind of allegiance to your country in a specific ceremony. A Memorial Day thing, or becoming a citizen or whatever.
That’s a bit…..odd

No offence
Only "a little creepy"?
It got really so when the "under God" was added.
I've never said it.
I simply never complied when others did.
Managed to avoid assault.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That’s a bit…..odd

No offence
None taken. It is indeed very creepy, cult-like, and dare I say fascistic?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Only "a little creepy"?
It got really so when the "under God" was added.
I've never said it.
I simply never complied when others did.
Managed to avoid assault.
Ooh sneaking under the radar, I see.

Perhaps the others were too intimidated by your revolting Scottishness to try anything?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
That’s a bit…..odd

No offence
None taken. I've always thought, by insisting on it's repetition, that it is cult like.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The country has a history of demanding that people swear allegiance. When I got a job at a university many years ago, I had to sign a loyalty oath.

Then there's the American Creed:

I believe in the United States of America, as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.

giphy.gif

1678542107715.png

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
None of our usual conservative voices have weighed in on this, yet.
Not much controversy here when teachers assault
students in violation of state law.
- Assault is illegal.
- The law requires that students be allowed to not say the pledge.

The student should file a complaint to have the teacher prosecuted.
Otherwise, such mischief would have tacit approval.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Not much controversy here when teachers assault
students in violation of state law.
- Assault is illegal.
- The law requires that students be allowed to not say the pledge.

The student should file a complaint to have the teacher prosecuted.
Otherwise, such mischief would have tacit approval.
You know there are many who think schools should have compulsory pledges and corporeal punishment (which is what they would use to excuse the teachers actions). People tend not to respect laws they strongly disagree with, and many will view the teacher as being in the right.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You know there are many who think schools should have compulsory pledges and corporeal punishment (which is what they would use to excuse the teachers actions). People tend not to respect laws they strongly disagree with, and many will view the teacher as being in the right.
Hit a student....the student should hit back,
with an equalizer, eg, table, chair, slide rule.
(Dang....show'n me age there.)