• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

studying Talmud

jazzymom

Just Jewish
I am wondering if there is a daily Talmud learning site that allows one to study Talmud in English?

Levite

Higher and Higher
I am wondering if there is a daily Talmud learning site that allows one to study Talmud in English?

I know dafyomi.com does its shiurim (lectures) in English, but they still learn off the Aramaic page.

I don't know of one that offers learning from an English translation, but if you come across one that is of good quality, let me know, so I can recommend it to my students.

dantech

This is not really daily but you could learn by topic:
Halakhah.com Babylonian Talmud Online in English

Here you have Daf Yomi (Daily page).
About.com: http://dafyomi.co.il/

I haven't used these websites as I like to learn in Hebrew or Aramaic, and I prefer to learn in the company of people with books rather than online. But many have told me about these two and told me they are great.

I think the second one is actually recordings that you could listen too.

jazzymom

Just Jewish
Thanks dantech and Levite. My shul does not have a group that learns Talmud together I don't know if there is one in my area I could look but I would love to also have a site to go to.

dantech

Thanks dantech and Levite. My shul does not have a group that learns Talmud together I don't know if there is one in my area I could look but I would love to also have a site to go to.

If you would like to PM me where your area is, I could look it up for you.

Levite

Higher and Higher
This is not really daily but you could learn by topic:
Halakhah.com Babylonian Talmud Online in English

Here you have Daf Yomi (Daily page).
About.com: http://dafyomi.co.il/

I haven't used these websites as I like to learn in Hebrew or Aramaic, and I prefer to learn in the company of people with books rather than online. But many have told me about these two and told me they are great.

I think the second one is actually recordings that you could listen too.

Yeah, the second one is the one I actually meant. Good call, dantech. That has audio shiurim, but no Talmud in English.

I knew about, but didn't recommend, the other site dantech noted, or the couple of others that use the Soncino translation, because I think that translation is extremely difficult to use and comprehend. I think it is not always well-rendered, and its stilted formalism and literalism often obscure the flow and meaning of the sugiyot rather than explicating it. Even Artscroll, which I cordially detest, is far, far better than Soncino; and that is not available online, though one can, of course, get the Artscroll app for iPad/iPhone/Mac.

To be honest, if one is going to try learning Talmud in English, I think the best bet at this point is the Koren Jerusalem Steinzaltz Talmud (an actual book, not an app or website), of which they just released tractate Brachot, and I think they're planning to release Shabbat by the time it comes around in the Daf Yomi cycle-- another couple of months, I believe.

Or anyway, that's my two cents.

Rakhel

This site has 3 different audio versions in Hebrew, Yiddish, and English, an audio/video from Chabad(I don't know what language they are using. I have never checked it out) and 2 downloadable versions in Hebrew and English. It will aslo let you print directly from the site.
E-DAF.com Berachos 17A
As for straight English of the Talmud. There is Come and Hear ...
It offers the same English translation of Talmud that E-daf does but adds a couple of extras.
A rabbinical commentary, a search engine, and the occasion blue highlight(that I am not fond of) that the owner of the site has added to emphasize her own spin of the text