• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suddenly you shape-shift into a wealthy medieval king. What do you do?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wasn't envisioning that. Your OP said 'Mediaeval' so that is necessarily Biblically influenced.
Let's say that you've become a medieval monarch.
Dungarees wouldn't have existed yet.
Would you wear royal garb?
If so, would you post pix?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say that you've become a medieval monarch.
Dungarees wouldn't have existed yet.
Would you wear royal garb?
If so, would you post pix?
90% of what I wear is long dresses so I'd be cool. I love Mediaeval fashion anyway. I'd be down to wear this,

Italian-Medieval-Fashion-Giovanna-Tornabuoni-full-length-169x300.jpg

Or if I came back as a male, a real king, I'd be even happier because I want to be a dude. I'd have pics painted....
latest

Last edited:

amorphous_constellation

Oh....invent calculus.
And telescopes & microscopes.
Criminy....I'd be busy.
And I'd finance it all by inventing the extended warranty.

Invent modern plumbing.

Now before you do all that, assuming you can, will you think about things you don't like about modern society regarding where technology has taken us? I mean, you would have to invent plastics and aluminum for plumbing.. Do you have a way, right from the get go, of regulating those things? Do you have a better idea of how waste should be processed, unlike what we have around here, where it is sent into lake michigan

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Now before you do all that, assuming you can, will you think about things you don't like about modern society regarding where technology has taken us? I mean, you would have to invent plastics and aluminum for plumbing.. Do you have a way, right from the get go, of regulating those things? Do you have a better idea of how waste should be processed, unlike what we have around here, where it is sent into lake michigan
You can use pot, cast iron etc. We still use it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Modern plumbing benefits modern materials, but it originated
without plastics or aluminum (which was a spendy precious
metal back in the day....some trivia introduced for fun).

As I said, I'd be busy....with environmental protection being
a worthy area of attention.

You've reminded me of something about considering the
consequences of inventions....
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down."
"That's not my department, says Werner von Braun."

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Before I forget, here's this kinda dumb question I sort of woke up with earlier

So suddenly, you become a king, from some pre-modern period. Could be 1000 years ago, could be the 1st century, whatever. But you have a court, and power, and wealth. You have a throne, and you can make laws etc. etc. You probably will be shock for three days

But when you pinch yourself and find out it's real, what do you then do

I suppose this is sort of a variation on that one book by Mark Twain.

- Redistribute as much wealth as is feasible back to the populace.
- Abolish the monarchy and require election of a Congress/Parliament.
- Establish freedom of religion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Exactly how did it work in rome, and in the american continent (the aztecs had it I thought I read?)
How Plumbing Happened - Project Archaeology
Some of the most expansive piping systems that still work today can be found in South America and were built by the Incas. These systems of pipes created an incredibly effective irrigation and draining method that can be seen most popularly at Machu Picchu. There are still green parts of the grassy
plumbing1-300x225.jpeg
main plaza that are fed exclusively by the original irrigation system. These same pipes also fed fountains and baths used by the elite who once lived there. This kind of technology can be seen at Machu Picchu in the terrace systems that line the entire mountain. These terraces employed the same drainage techniques as the main plazas that kept plants well-watered and the entire mountain town stable on the peak.