• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Surprised by Joy -- deep emotional reactions to music

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I took the title of this thread from CS Lewis' book, in which he makes what is known as the argument from desire that God exists. He describes experiences he had in his life that elevated him to ecstasy, but a painful ecstasy full of longing. I'd like to talk about these kinds of experiences, but triggered by music.

I suspect that most of you are going to think I'm nuts, but a few of you who have had these same reactions are going to understand. If you think I'm a whack job, please be kind with your responses, as it is very hard for me to reveal my heart.

I have been highly sensitive to music all my life. But although yes I'm a composer, honestly, these experiences usually happen when I listen to the music of others. For example, there was an occasion where I was teaching at a music magnet school, and we were at an assembly where a cellist from the local symphony played Tchaikovsky's Pas de Deux. I could not stop crying. And I mean I tried to stop -- my students were all watching me. But I was in absolute heaven. I have also become almost drunk singing in the choir during religious holidays, my body tingling all over, sometimes even walking into posts afterwards. LOL

What I'm trying to say is that music can put me into that same state of deep painful longing that Lewis tried to describe. When I read his book, I recognized immediately that he was talking about the same thing. I realize there are certain things I am more sensitive to. Cymbal swells always give me goosebumps. A walkup feels to me like an ascent into heaven, and a walkdown feels like a fall. Minor keys in particular move my heart. And oh my gosh those transitions into new keys!!! I would say that I have moved into an altered state of consciousness.

I believed music revealed something deep and profound. William James described this noetic quality as integral to mystical experiences. When I would say things like, "There is just so much truth in that," my family had to reason with me that music doesn't convey truth. It took them years before I finally acquiesced. But even though I know this in my head, in my heart, music is still truth.

So, is there any kindred spirits out there? Maybe we can share songs that really do it for us?

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I love music but probably not as much as you do. Oh well. I still really do love it. This song was the first that popped into my head:

I also love CS Lewis and that book.

IndigoChild5559

I love music but probably not as much as you do. Oh well. I still really do love it. This song was the first that popped into my head:

I also love CS Lewis and that book.
Oh what heaven! thank you so much for that. You know, my kids and I adored Amadeus. My children even named our new orange tabby "Wolfy." Gee, which my my favorite from that movie? I'm tempted to say the Lacrimosa, but I'm gonna say the Commendatore from Don Giovanni. So chilling!

Yerda

Veteran Member
I was at a show for a band I like a few months ago. Three men who play a weird mix of folky trad with gypsy rhythms. Acoustic guitar with a stomp box, double bass and a fiddle. They invited a woman up to perform a song. The three guys all sang very deep chanty harmonies while she sang a plaintive melody.

I felt like I was in a trance. My body responded to the music in a way I've never experienced before and my face was wet with tears when it was done. I've experienced euphoria listening to music before but never whatever this was.

IndigoChild5559

I was at a show for a band I like a few months ago. Three men who play a weird mix of folky trad with gypsy rhythms. Acoustic guitar with a stomp box, double bass and a fiddle. They invited a woman up to perform a song. The three guys all sang very deep chanty harmonies while she sang a plaintive melody.

I felt like I was in a trance. My body responded to the music in a way I've never experienced before and my face was wet with tears when it was done. I've experienced euphoria listening to music before but never whatever this was.
Ah, you understand!

I know a video won't really be the same experience as in person, but is there a way for us to hear this song?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Ah, you understand!

I know a video won't really be the same experience as in person, but is there a way for us to hear this song?
I can't find the arrangement. Here is the song in its original form (no woman vocals or harmonies):

Before they played it that night the singer made a point of shushing the crowd ("haud yer wheesht"). I'm glad they did because I had never heard anything like it. It was a bit like those deep drony harmonies you hear the monks sing and very light instrumentation. I've been hunting for it since - If I ever manage to dig up a recording I'll post it.

IndigoChild5559

I can't find the arrangement. Here is the song in its original form (no woman vocals or harmonies):

Before they played it that night the singer made a point of shushing the crowd ("haud yer wheesht"). I'm glad they did because I had never heard anything like it. It was a bit like those deep drony harmonies you hear the monks sing and very light instrumentation. I've been hunting for it since - If I ever manage to dig up a recording I'll post it.
Haunting.

Kathryn

Oh what heaven! thank you so much for that. You know, my kids and I adored Amadeus. My children even named our new orange tabby "Wolfy." Gee, which my my favorite from that movie? I'm tempted to say the Lacrimosa, but I'm gonna say the Commendatore from Don Giovanni. So chilling!
I LOVE that selection! I took my kids to see that movie too, and they loved it, along with Henry V and Life Is Beautiful. I think people often underestimate kids.

Kathryn

I went to a concert last night and it was Gaelic Storm and I kept wishing they'd slow things down a bit.

IndigoChild5559

I LOVE that selection! I took my kids to see that movie too, and they loved it, along with Henry V and Life Is Beautiful. I think people often underestimate kids.
They do indeed! In fact, after seeing Amadeus, I took my elementary school daughter to see The Magic Flute. She had a wonderful time.

anna.

colors your eyes with what's not there
I've never forgotten this sung by Andreas Scholl, even though I heard it many years ago:

I can't find the original, longer version I once had.

So, is there any kindred spirits out there? Maybe we can share songs that really do it for us?

I am "only" a consumer of music, not a composer, but there are two types of music that can also put me in an emotional situation at any time:
  1. Experimental drone/noise (boris's "asia" was my album of the year in 2015 and is still one of my favourites to this day) always empties and cleanses my mind. Stress, sadness, general agitation: listening to one of these albums completely switches my mind off. I like that. (I achieve a similar effect with post-rock such as Mogwai or Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but that effect fades more quickly).
  2. Jazz-orientated pop music (of course, not the kind on the radio, there's really nothing of interest on there) makes me smile every time. Sometimes I hum along (if nobody is there to listen).
Music eases my troubled mind. Music is my favourite drug.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Music and singing is the only way I can reach these ecstatic heights these days. I sing and move to the songs that speak to me. And these bring sensations like you were describing. Drunkenness, chills and tingling, and yes sometimes tears.

Before speech, there was music. We sang before we talked as a species (imo)

Edited*

Last edited:

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Singing this song has been doing it for me lately.

This is another good one. Just not English.

"Says down, says in
Says into flesh and skin
Deep in the blood, deep in the mind
Like wind, I vanish

Like wind…
…I vanish"

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've shared this a few times now, I promise I'll stop spamming, but I can't believe how lovely and perfect it is. The singer's voice is so beautiful I find it almost overwhelming. Please, do your ears a solid.

IndigoChild5559

Okay gang. I need your help to figure this out. The following song, which is used for a horror tv series called FROM, is creepy beyond words, and I can't figure out why. Is it because they changed a well known happy song from a major to minor key, and that just hits like a sense of wrongness? Is it the fast vibrating instrument in the background (I'm not sure what the instrument is, maybe a balalaika?). Is it the empty fifths of the vocals and noticeable lack of thirds? It gives me a sense of foreboding, and I'm just not sure why. Please listen and share your ideas.

@Kathryn @Yerda @The Hammer @Evangelicalhumanist @беспокойный путешественни @anna.

BTW, this MGM original series is truly, as Stephen King said, scary as hell. I'm so stoked that season three premieres on September 22.

Last edited:

Kathryn

Okay gang. I need your help to figure this out. The following song, which is used for a horror tv series called FROM, is creepy beyond words, and I can't figure out why. Is it because they changed a well known happy song from a major to minor key, and that just hits like a sense of wrongness? Is it the fast vibrating instrument in the background (I'm not sure what the instrument is, maybe a balalaika?). Is it the empty fifths of the vocals and noticeable lack of thirds? It gives me a sense of foreboding, and I'm just not sure why. Please listen and share your ideas.

@Kathryn @Yerda @The Hammer @Evangelicalhumanist @беспокойный путешественни @anna.

BTW, this MGM original series is truly, as Stephen King said, scary as hell. I'm so stoked that season three premieres on September 22.

I think it's mostly because it's set to a minor key, though there are other elements that also make it foreboding. You didn't mention it, but the first thing that jumps out at me is the fact that it's been switched to male vocals.