• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survival of the Fittest

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Where does hunting fit into this paradigm? In modern society, we really have no need to hunt or fish or anything like this. Also, what about dietary needs and capabilities? The future is uncertain, and from what I gather we developed an ability to eat both meat and vegetation. Some swear by a no meat diet, and others swear by an omnivorous one. I'm in the latter group and I've added to this diet spicy peppers and dairy. I think it broadens my chances of survival as well as those who develop from this type of food intake. Anyway, I haven't been hunting since I was twenty something. I'm thinking about reintroducing myself to the more primal basics of survival.

Do you think these capabilities are important enough to pursue?

We Never Know

No Slack
Where does hunting fit into this paradigm? In modern society, we really have no need to hunt or fish or anything like this. Also, what about dietary needs and capabilities? The future is uncertain, and from what I gather we developed an ability to eat both meat and vegetation. Some swear by a no meat diet, and others swear by an omnivorous one. I'm in the latter group and I've added to this diet spicy peppers and dairy. I think it broadens my chances of survival as well as those who develop from this type of food intake. Anyway, I haven't been hunting since I was twenty something. I'm thinking about reintroducing myself to the more primal basics of survival.

"I'm thinking about reintroducing myself to the more primal basics of survival"

Some people do it as hobbies.
Some people do it just to have the skills
Some people do it in case the world collapses
Some have always did it. Its part of their life.
Etc.

Decide why you want to do it and what you want to get out of it.

It never hurts to sharpen your skills and it will sharpen many.

Good luck

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
"I'm thinking about reintroducing myself to the more primal basics of survival"

Some people do it as hobbies.
Some people do it just to have the skills
Some people do it in case the world collapses
Some have always did it. Its part of their life.
Etc.

Decide why you want to do it and what you want to get out of it.

It never hurts to sharpen your skills and it will sharpen many.

Good luck
I naturally know why I want to. I'm motivated by food.

Increasing my abilities and skill set is something I'm typically on board with. Archery is fun anyway, but the hunting is more about survival and just in case scenarios. The same is true with my chosen diet, although I consume less dairy than I once did. I don't think the world is going to collapse, but it doesn't hurt to be better prepared. Hitting the mark is a lifelong discipline and missing the mark reason enough for this truth to play out.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Absolutely. And ever other aspect of survival and self-sufficiency. It's alarming the number of people who panic and what they panic over. Toilet paper??? Who would have thought? And WHY?

If you're a reader and haven't delved into this trilogy, you certainly should:
One Second After, by William R. Forstchen -- This isn't far-fetched imaginings. This is a story with very real possibility.

Just remember to carry things out honorably.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Absolutely. And ever other aspect of survival and self-sufficiency. It's alarming the number of people who panic and what they panic over. Toilet paper??? Who would have thought? And WHY?

If you're a reader and haven't delved into this trilogy, you certainly should:
One Second After, by William R. Forstchen -- This isn't far-fetched imaginings. This is a story will very real possibility.

Just remember to carry things out honorably.
Self sufficiency is rarely attainable within our interdependent cultures, but it doesn't hurt to become less reliant on others. I also see a need for our interdependence as larger groups of people. It's important, but no less important is our ongoing development as individuals. I like more cooperative relations than less cooperative. It increases our survival rates.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Explain what you mean by "survival of the fittest"? Kill or be killed mentality?

Spice

Self sufficiency is rarely attainable within our interdependent cultures, but it doesn't hurt to become less reliant on others. I also see a need for our interdependence as larger groups of people. It's important, but no less important is our ongoing development as individuals. I like more cooperative relations than less cooperative. It increases our survival rates.
I completely agree, but human nature can raise its ugly head under uncertain times. True "love thy neighbor" shows up, too. Unfortunately, one more so than the other.
It's not a test of humanity I would care to see today even on the scale of the 1930s.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Explain what you mean by "survival of the fittest"? Kill or be killed mentality?
No ...

I'm speaking about the basics of life. Defense and self-preservation is something that comes quite natural to every species to ever become a species in life, including you and me.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I completely agree, but human nature can raise its ugly head under uncertain times. True "love thy neighbor" shows up, too. Unfortunately, one more so than the other.
It's not a test of humanity I would care to see today even on the scale of the 1930s.
I can't argue the point. What is "true" love thy neighbor? How about love your enemy? I have a tendency to isolate myself as a recluse, apart from more turbulent social settings, but that's my choice. Sometimes I'm not given that choice, and it's then that things can get complicated. People are fond of pushing buttons and while I've never had a problem with self-control, my patience still wears thin from time to time. It's best to keep a covid mentality anymore and keep my distance. It's not that I'm dangerous, but the button pusher are dangerous. Isolating seems safer than the alternative. The backwoods call. I can't help but answer it. I'm too passive not to want to.

We Never Know

No Slack
I naturally know why I want to. I'm motivated by food.

Increasing my abilities and skill set is something I'm typically on board with. Archery is fun anyway, but the hunting is more about survival and just in case scenarios. The same is true with my chosen diet, although I consume less dairy than I once did. I don't think the world is going to collapse, but it doesn't hurt to be better prepared. Hitting the mark is a lifelong discipline and missing the mark reason enough for this truth to play out.
In all reality.. Humans have became soft. They rely on others do get them food, keep them safe, rely on technology, etc etc.
If the clocked turned back 125 years today, probably 40%(or more) of humans would die because they don't know how to survive.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
TRUE STORY TIME:

When I was a teen, my parents decided to raise rabbits for meat, but my dad couldn't kill them because they would snuggle up to him before he did so, and my mom was NOT game for any of that killing bidness, so she was out. So we sold the rabbits.

However, we did raise chickens to eat. I have two terrible memories of chickens. In the first memory, that whole phrase "running around like a chicken with his head chopped off" is real. It really happens, and it's terrible. The second memory is of actually plucking a chicken. A chicken has two layers of feathers, apparently - the outer layer and then the down. So anyway, to make the chicken easier to pluck, one has to dunk the chicken in boiling water, after the head is chopped off and the chicken runs around for a bit. This smells GREAT. Kidding. So, after dunking the dead chicken in boiling water, my parents hung the chicken body from a CLOTHES LINE and I sat on a stool, in the rain, as a teen, plucking this chicken. I thought I was about to freaking die. After that, I always bought chickens already plucked and all that, from the grocery store.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
In all reality.. Humans have became soft. They rely on others do get them food, keep them safe, rely on technology, etc etc.
If the clocked turned back 125 years today, probably 40%(or more) of humans would die because they don't know how to survive.
You're very likely correct. Soft is an appropriate term. It doesn't help to be reaching mid 50's either. Reminds me of how much I need to exercise and increase moving forward.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
TRUE STORY TIME:

When I was a teen, my parents decided to raise rabbits for meat, but my dad couldn't kill them because they would snuggle up to him before he did so, and my mom was NOT game for any of that killing bidness, so she was out. So we sold the rabbits.

However, we did raise chickens to eat. I have two terrible memories of chickens. In the first memory, that whole phrase "running around like a chicken with his head chopped off" is real. It really happens, and it's terrible. The second memory is of actually plucking a chicken. A chicken has two layers of feathers, apparently - the outer layer and then the down. So anyway, to make the chicken easier to pluck, one has to dunk the chicken in boiling water, after the head is chopped off and the chicken runs around for a bit. This smells GREAT. Kidding. So, after dunking the dead chicken in boiling water, my parents hung the chicken body from a CLOTHES LINE and I sat on a stool, in the rain, as a teen, plucking this chicken. I thought I was about to freaking die. After that, I always bought chickens already plucked and all that, from the grocery store.
Yeah, it can be messy and traumatizing to some people. I grew up hunting and fishing, learning to fillet fish, field dress deer, skin bunnies, squirrels, and separate frog legs, and what have you. I also grew up learning how to prepare them for meals. I never did domestic animals, except once when I went to a slaughterhouse at age 10. I prefer hunting, fishing and getting it done myself. The slaughterhouse memory is a difficult one to get over, even at age 53. I understand you, though.

Kathryn

Oh speaking of slaugherhouses, I did tour one once, from start to finish, and it was pretty bad, but not as bad as I thought, and certainly not as bad as plucking that dead chicken IN THE FREAKING RAIN.

My dad tried to raise us to kill what we needed but to this day, I have never cleaned a fish.

Spice

I can't argue the point. What is "true" love thy neighbor? How about love your enemy? I have a tendency to isolate myself as a recluse, apart from more turbulent social settings, but that's my choice. Sometimes I'm not given that choice, and it's then that things can get complicated. People are fond of pushing buttons and while I've never had a problem with self-control, my patience still wears thin from time to time. It's best to keep a covid mentality anymore and keep my distance. It's not that I'm dangerous, but the button pusher are dangerous. Isolating seems safer than the alternative. The backwoods call. I can't help but answer it. I'm too passive not to want to.
I take "true" love thy neighbor as actionable love. It would apply to love thy enemies as well in certain circumstances. It could be the simple things like letting someone get ahead of you in the grocery line, to the more difficult of pulling back your reach for the last of an item so the rude person that is nearly knocking you down can have it. LOL

I get a bit stressed out to hear someone complaining that there are footprints in their garden. I'll ask if they were picked clean, with the usual response of no, but they hope they choke on it. This is in good times! I can only imagine the loaded guns and sitting up all night to guard the fig bush if things were to get dicy. LOL

Both of my son's escape to the rivers, creeks, and woodlands on their days off. I have my porch swing, butterflies, birds, squirrels, and my cat. Solitude apparently runs on my side of the family. We agree it's safer that way. LOL

Kathryn

I take "true" love thy neighbor as actionable love. It would apply to love thy enemies as well in certain circumstances. It could be the simple things like letting someone get ahead of you in the grocery line, to the more difficult of pulling back your reach for the last of an item so the rude person that is nearly knocking you down can have it. LOL

I get a bit stressed out to hear someone complaining that there are footprints in their garden. I'll ask if they were picked clean, with the usual response of no, but they hope they choke on it. This is in good times! I can only imagine the loaded guns and sitting up all night to guard the fig bush if things were to get dicy. LOL

Both of my son's escape to the rivers, creeks, and woodlands on their days off. I have my porch swing, butterflies, birds, squirrels, and my cat. Solitude apparently runs on my side of the family. We agree it's safer that way. LOL
Don't get me started on figs.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Oh speaking of slaugherhouses, I did tour one once, from start to finish, and it was pretty bad, but not as bad as I thought, and certainly not as bad as plucking that dead chicken IN THE FREAKING RAIN.

My dad tried to raise us to kill what we needed but to this day, I have never cleaned a fish.
It was that bad when I went, but I was 10 so maybe that had something to do with it. It may have been due to how they were lined up head to tail, pushed through the line to meet their end. The squealing was just part of it. The methods back then seemed harsh to me. Boar tusking was quite an experience, just before shooting a plug in the jugular to bleed them. Cattle prods weren't so bad to get the cattle moving, but watching the actual end of these beasts haunted me for years. I can't clean a fish anymore without first depriving it of its life.