• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweet Jesus!

Skwim

Veteran Member
(USA Today) — A Canadian ice cream company expanding into the United States has been slammed by some Christians for its name and marketing imagery.

Sweet Jesus, a Toronto-based chain that has an outlet in Baltimore, Md., and plans to open at the Mall of America in Minnesota this summer, uses an upside-down cross in its branding as well as an SS-style “s” in its graphics reminiscent of those used by Satanic Metal rock bands.

The controversial moniker and imagery, which also contains vampire-like teeth and blood, has spurred an online petition at Change.org, which had been signed by more than 1,000 people as of Tuesday (March 27).

sweet-jesus-ice-cream.jpg
Screen+Shot+2017-10-04+at+10.41.58+PM.png

The company, whose product is soft-serve and covered in colorful toppings, said it does not mean to offend. In a statement on its website, it said the name “was created from the popular phrase that people use as an expression of enjoyment, surprise or disbelief. Our aim is not to offer commentary on anyone’s religion or belief systems. Our own organization is made up of amazing people that represent a wide range of cultural and religious beliefs.”

Meanwhile, Sweet Jesus co-owner Andrew Richmond told the Toronto Star the name originated when an employee at a taco restaurant he ran kept saying “sweet Jesus” when he served the ice cream prepared there. The popularity of the dessert spurred the chain to open in 2015.
source

Opinion?

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
They'll be fine. I don't see enough people being offended by this. It would be different if they tried to open up a new location in the deep south.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As a data point, when I was in India many years ago, I noticed a gas station "Sri Sadguru Service Station" and drank "guru beer". I think this is the equivalent of perhaps Billy Graham Gas Station and Baal Shem Tov Beer to pick a couple out of the hat.

That's similar to the fuss that was made over a beer called
"Sweet Baby Jesus!"

In the end, though, a fuss is being made over the wrong name.
If it were "Sweet (Baby) Yeshua!", then I could understand the
objections a bit more. "Jesus", however, wasn't technically the
founder of Christianity's actual name.

Axe Elf

Prophet
The upside-down cross might cause them more problems than the name (and it does kind of speak against the rather saccharine claim by the website of not wanting to offend anyone), but the bottom line is that it's free enterprise. If enough people patronize them, they will do fine, and if people don't like their product or branding, they won't. It's not worth an uproar, in my Xian opinion.

Rough Beast Sloucher

It's My Birthday!
The upside-down cross might cause them more problems than the name (and it does kind of speak against the rather saccharine claim by the website of not wanting to offend anyone), but the bottom line is that it's free enterprise. If enough people patronize them, they will do fine, and if people don't like their product or branding, they won't. It's not worth an uproar, in my Xian opinion.

Maybe my glasses need cleaning but where is this upside-down cross? Regardless, it is the inverted crucifix that has satanic overtones. The inverted cross is the Cross of Peter, who tradition says was crucified upside down because he said he was not worthy to suffer the same death as Jesus. This cross stands for humility and featured frequently on knight's shields.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Maybe my glasses need cleaning but where is this upside-down cross? Regardless, it is the inverted crucifix that has satanic overtones. The inverted cross is the Cross of Peter, who tradition says was crucified upside down because he said he was not worthy to suffer the same death as Jesus. This cross stands for humility and featured frequently on knight's shields.

Sweet Jesus, a Toronto-based chain that has an outlet in Baltimore, Md., and plans to open at the Mall of America in Minnesota this summer, uses an upside-down cross in its branding as well as an SS-style “s” in its graphics reminiscent of those used by Satanic Metal rock bands.

I don't know either, unless the little bunny vampire girl is wearing it around her neck--I can't really make it out--but that's what it says in the article. Still, you don't expect your run-of-the-mill fundamental Christian to care about little details like the Cross of Peter, do you? Heck, most of them get their panties twisted over "Xian" (even though the Greek letter "chi"--which looks like an "X"--has traditionally stood for "Christ" throughout the centuries).

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
They'll be fine. I don't see enough people being offended by this. It would be different if they tried to open up a new location in the deep south.
Yeah! I live in the "Deep South", and I started imaging one opening up in this town! Oh GRIEF!! LOL!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
There is a whole raft of beers being sold in the US with names along these lines.
I had an Even More Coco Jesus just a few weeks back, in fact.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Heck, most of them get their panties twisted over "Xian" (even though the Greek letter "chi"--which looks like an "X"--has traditionally stood for "Christ" throughout the centuries).
Ugh! I can't stand this one. It's a Christian thing, they've been doing for centuries now, but yet it's that "war on Christmas" nonsense where those evil atheist and secularist are trying to ultimately ban and persecute Christians are trying to take Christ out of Christmas, and then next thing you know they are pronouncing it in a way to emphasis "Christ-mas." They are so illiterate about their own religion that they think a traditional spelling of the word that has been accepted and used by Christians for hundreds of years is an attack against their religion. It's just as bad when they go on a mission to say "Merry Christmas," insisting you can't say it anymore, and saying it where there are signs and people saying it everywhere.