• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Syrian Strike Vote

Strike Syria

• Yes.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • No.

Votes: 49 74.2%
  • Abstain.

Votes: 7 10.6%

• Total voters
esmith said:
What other conflict do you think that used the same criteria that Sec Def Robert McNamara used?
You lost me, we were talking about cost-benefit analysis, now you are asking about "the same criteria McNamara used".

Cost-benefit analysis is just weighing the pro's and con's. It's elementary reasoning about decisions. Yes people can try reason and nevertheless arrive at bad decisions. Therefore, we shouldn't use reason? Should we pray about it instead? You may as well argue that the Nazis used science to commit genocide, therefore no one should use science.

Let's rewind. I said any strike should not be "excessive". Everyone should be able to agree to that in principle -- no one should want anything to be "excessive", by definition of the word. But, as you rightly ask, what exactly would count as excessive? I don't know, but at a minimum, for starters, I am saying that any strike should be designed to not inflict more civilian casualties than would otherwise have been inflicted by Assad continuing to gas people. This is because the primary purpose (as I see it) of such a strike should be to protect innocent civilians in Syria from indiscriminate, inhumane chemical attacks, and to discourage such attacks in future conflicts, in any country. It would seem counter-productive to that goal to try to protect civilians from chemical weapons by killing an even greater number with conventional weapons.

I think we have not seen eye-to-eye here because humanitarian considerations and international rule of law were not included in your reasons to possibly strike Assad (in post # 227). You only talk about the U.S. looking weak, etc. So we are starting from different priorities.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Cost-benefit analysis is just weighing the pro's and con's. It's elementary reasoning about decisions.
But 'weighing' is a notoriously difficult process. So, for example, what weight should be given to dissolving red lines about the use of chemical weapons?

The whole issue is undoubtedly politicized. The conservatives are put in a tough spot: I have no doubt that had a republican been elected, we would have been in Syria already, and half this country would be accordingly all gung-ho for it. Obama is doing precisely what they would do, except later and lesser (which is why they were calling him "weak on terrorism" and such.) But since they are hell-bent on opposing him at all turns, they must therefore oppose him now.

The liberals are much more interesting, imo. Their natural inclination would be to oppose military intervention. But since Obama is the one championing it, many feel as if they need to support him. Or at least, go through with it so that Obama doesn't look bad. However, by all indications, the liberals are not swallowing it. A military strike is extremely unpopular, country-wide, which means that liberals have jumped ship (or rather, stuck to their guns, despite loyalty to Obama.)

But, politics aside, let's try to look at this rationally.

What would be the objectives of going into Syria? Ostentatiously, it is to make it clear that the use of chemical weapons is going to be punished, and on humanitarian grounds, to protect the civilian population from further attacks.

Though to be honest, I bet it has more to do with oil than anything. Humanitarian crises occur around the world, and we only intervene if there is a threat to our supply of resources.

Anyway, lets go with the party line and assume we would be performing these strikes for humanitarian purposes.

Would a strike achieve these goals?

No one can see into the future. There are a lot of "what ifs" swirling around Syria: What if we do nothing, and they use them again? What if the world laughs at us for not sticking to our guns? What if more lives are lost by our inaction?

And the opposing side: What if our action triggers a larger inflammation? What if our strikes end up killing a substantial number of civilians (it would be naive to think that we'd succeed in killing no innocents)? What if Assad retaliates?

We don't know the future. We can only guess. But, we can look to the past. What has been the result of previous US interventions in the various internal conflicts around the world?

Almost invariably, we get rid of one bad guy, only to find out later that the guy we supported was another crazy awful bad guy. We give arms to the side we want to win, only to have them pointed at us at some later date. We leave the country in worse shape than it was previously-- full of anarchy, bombed out buildings, and dangerous militias. We kill innocent people, and they hate us for it. The rest of the world refuses to work with us because they see us as power hungry war mongers.

Our humanitarian objectives simply aren't met. And I see no reason to assume that they would be met this time around when our history is strewn with such failures.
All very good points. However, it seems to me that you have assumed a military strike against Assad's regime must "get rid of one bad guy". If there is a strike AND Assad loses to the rebels, then no doubt the strike will have been one contributing factor (of many) to Assad's loss.

However, there is no reason to assume that the strike MUST be of such a magnitude as to be THE sole deciding factor in the outcome of the conflict. The strike only needs to be sufficiently damaging to Assad so as to achieve the goal: punish the use of chemical weapons (thereby deterring their future use, in Syria and anywhere else). How much did Assad's forces gain through the chemical attacks? A U.S.-led strike only needs to cancel that gain, or somewhat more than cancel it, to accomplish the goal. This would leave the balance of the conflict more or less where it was before, except that now the use of chemical weapons has been deterred. That would seem like a net positive change, to me. *EDIT: And to the extent that the strike re-tilted the balance somewhat in the rebels' favor, well, what does Assad have to do, aside from gas civilians, to deserve such a re-tilting?

So, on the assumption that the strike is NOT designed to remove Assad but only to punish the use of chemical weapons, it seems to me that the outcome of the conflict is not fundamentally changed by such a strike: whether we strike, or not, Assad could win, or the rebels could win, or someone worse than Assad could come to power. Whether we strike or not, the outcome is not our responsibility (and we would probably only make things worse by trying to control it). IF Assad loses and IF we strike then sure, the strike will have been one factor. But it will only one of many contributing factors. And the responsibility will lay with Assad, for choosing to use chemical weapons and therefore necessitating an international response. The responsibility will not lay with the U.S. or the world, for having no choice but to respond to the gassing of civilians according to the rules of humanity and international law. Our responsibility for the outcome is the same whether we strike, or not, under these assumptions.

This way of deciding whether or not to strike, it seems to me, is "blind" in the sense that justice should be "blind". If the rebels had gassed civilians, then according to my reasoning, the world would have to respond similarly by punishing the rebels.

But now contrast that to the alternative. The alternative is to say that the U.S. and the world sometimes responds to the gassing of civilians, and sometimes not. And this decision of whether to respond or not, is not primarily based on protecting civilians from gas attacks. Instead, the decision is based on a cynical calibration of our tolerance of the gassing of civilians. We calculate which side we prefer, or what outcomes would serve our interests the most, and we increase or decrease our level of tolerance for gassing civilians based on that. In other words, choosing to exempt Assad from what should otherwise be the "blind" response of the world to injustice is selfish, and cynical.

(I'm not saying anyone in this thread is selfish or cynical, I'm just trying to reason it out as best I can. I could be wrong.)

Weren't people upset at the U.S. and the world for tolerating/enabling Saddam's use of chemical weapons in the 1980s? That was the West making a selfish exemption, based on a similar cynical calculation. It's a shameful part of our history and we shouldn't repeat it.

Last edited:
But 'weighing' is a notoriously difficult process. So, for example, what weight should be given to dissolving red lines about the use of chemical weapons?
Yes, absolutely. That is a difficult process and it seems there are those who weigh their own selfish interests more heavily than humanitarian principles.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Indeed, it is difficult and demands a lot of care in choosing the weights of the various relevant criteria.

But the fault is not in the employment of criteria in and of itself.

Yes, absolutely. That is a difficult process and it seems there are those who weigh their own selfish interests more heavily than humanitarian principles.

:clap I fully agree.
And, moreover, it seems there are those who weigh the hypothetical atrocities that may be committed by the victims, if they should come to power, more heavily than the actual atrocities committed by Assad's regime. (Allegedly committed by Assad's regime, actually.)

Sahar

Indifferent to it. What I am sure of is that a US strike will not serve the Syrian revolution or the interests of the innocent civilians. Strike or not, Syria will be made sure bleeding in a long conflict or shaped in a way that serves Israel (mainly) and the US.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Susan Rice pointed out that some major reasons for the strike would be 1. Because Syria has a whole lot of weaponized chemicals & they're afraid those weapons are going to be sold to fanatics to kill US allies and attack embassies. 2. Because Iran is trying to make nuclear weapons, and it thinks the USA is too soft to do anything about it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Susan Rice pointed out that some major reasons for the strike would be 1. Because Syria has a whole lot of weaponized chemicals & they're afraid those weapons are going to be sold to fanatics to kill US allies and attack embassies. 2. Because Iran is trying to make nuclear weapons, and it thinks the USA is too soft to do anything about it.

I suppose that if you must find a justification for such a strike, those are about as good as any others.

It is still self-sabotaging at best.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Driveling pronouncements, at best. Then again, this whole charade, from the White House down is like a bad Keystone cops episode. (I guess one should expect that with a pack of amateurs in charge.) Then I recall that this is coming from the lady who cited that horrid film about Muhammad and early Islam as being the reason for the Benghazi attack, so her credibility quotient is a tad low.

This whole exercise is about Obama's wounded ego.

esmith

Veteran Member
It appears that Obama got his out....Putin threw him a somewhat of a lifeline.

Obama says Russian Syria proposal could be a breakthrough

Now we have to ask ourselves what are Putin's motive for this? We know that there is probably no "help Obama" agenda on Putin's mind. Well we could look at it this way. If Putin thinks that the US would strike Syria and take out Assad's air power or other military assets that levels the playing field it would be better to offer up this "peace" offer (yeah right); it would take a considerable amount of time to accomplish and it would give Assad the upper hand to defeat the rebels. I really see no other reasonable reason for this unexplainable action on Putin's move. It's just not in the man's DNA. Of course I could be wrong and Putin is the "peace maker".

Of course now they just have to figure out how to get tons of chemical weapons turned over with a civil war going on. We also really trust Putin right? Also, when Libya supposedly gave up their weapons they still found weapon after Gadhafi's fall.
Syria's chemical arsenal at a glance - CNN.com

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now we have to ask ourselves what are Putin's motive for this?

I don't think we will ever truly know, but I would like to think that being a human being and having no interest in war for war's sake are among the possibilities.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
YmirGF said:
Oh my.... and now outmaneuvered by Putin. At least he can still blame the Republicans of more obstructionist tactics. Jeeez, you can't even start a war these days... Poor Obama.
In 2009 when Obama was given a peace prize you said "Can you wait a few years for the answer? Time will tell how wise Obama's machinations are." Despite predictions that Obama would drag us into hell, here we are still ok in 2013. I think that given the situations he has faced and the politicians he works with, overall he has been trustworthy. His secretary of state Hillary Clinton did a great job, and I don't think Obama's going to do anything under-handed. He was constantly accused of being underhanded by Republicans during his first term, and he was constantly accused of trying to become king and overthrow our government. He didn't do those things. He has not got any real political advantage in attacking Syria. Obviously he's not winning any popularity contest, yet he feels its important to deal with Syria's chemical weapons. I think he's got good character, and I've thought he was a man of character from the beginning. You can disagree with his decisions; but I don't think anyone should say he's interesting in starting a war for his own political advantage. That is just a mean thing to say and a character assassination if ever I've heard one.