• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tail of straw

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If I'm understanding you right, you could say that someone has a glass jaw. It comes from boxing, but basically means even a light hit causes damage.
The meaning is somehow similar, but "having the tail of straw" is used in a totally different situation.

In the tail of straw context, the person who makes criticism does not mean to target a particular person.
They always speak in general. Mentioning nobody.
It is the person who has the tail of straw that emerges from the crowd and protests, as if the criticizer was speaking of them.
But actually the criticizer mentioned nobody.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Example

A: I think shy girls tend to have a very active sex life.
B: I don't think it's true.
A: why? Do you have the tail of straw, honey?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The meaning is somehow similar, but "having the tail of straw" is used in a totally different situation.

In the tail of straw context, the person who makes criticism does not mean to target a particular person.
They always speak in general. Mentioning nobody.
It is the person who has the tail of straw that emerges from the crowd and protests, as if the criticizer was speaking of them.
But actually the criticizer mentioned nobody.

I've occasionally used a Shakespearean quote in that context...
'The Lady Doth Protest Too Much', Meaning & Context

That can be personal, but can also be in relation to a more general statement, fitting with your example.
Not a common saying, but plenty of people would understand what was meant.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I've occasionally used a Shakespearean quote in that context...
'The Lady Doth Protest Too Much', Meaning & Context

That can be personal, but can also be in relation to a more general statement, fitting with your example.
Not a common saying, but plenty of people would understand what was meant.
Shakespeare is perfect to explain this idiom.
When Hamlet stages The murder of Gonzago with the help of the actors, king Claudius freaks out after watching the show, and expresses his contempt.
At that point, Hamlet could have told him: "dear uncle, this is about Gonzago. Do you have the tail of straw, by chance?".
That is: "do you believe this play is speaking of you and what you did?"

Last edited: