• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Talk

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've seen people here talk of small talk...

But what exactly is small talk? Where is the line drawn between small talk and normal conversation?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
What do you say, after you say 'Hello?'

small talk is one of the necessary levels of communication to form and/or reinforce social bonds between individuals in a group setting. It is emotionally safe, potentially informative or amusing, and requires that individuals keep acknowledging each other, thus reinforcing the social cohesion of the group/society.

How you doing?
Hot enough for ya?
How about them Mets?
Etc.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
What do you say, after you say 'Hello?'

small talk is one of the necessary levels of communication to form and/or reinforce social bonds between individuals in a group setting. It is emotionally safe, potentially informative or amusing, and requires that individuals keep acknowledging each other, thus reinforcing the social cohesion of the group/society.

How you doing?
Hot enough for ya?
How about them Mets?
Etc.
When does the conversation go from small talk to not small talk?

How you doing... I can see that one being a game changer, if the person answers the question honestly, rather than just part of a greeting ritual.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Small talk is light, casual, informal conversation about things that are commonly of little to no consequence. An example would be talking about the weather.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When does the conversation go from small talk to not small talk?

How you doing... I can see that one being a game changer, if the person answers the question honestly, rather than just part of a greeting ritual.
I think there are several levels of 'ritual' interaction associated with the various small talk intros. Whether, how fast, and how far it goes depends on the individuals involved and their level of familiarity with each other and the immediate situation. If the individuals involved are total strangers, then an honest answer would be a violation of expectations; if they are very familiar with each other, total honesty might be expected and welcome.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
What's significant?

Politics and religion are an obvious 'heavy talk', but what else would qualify?
I would guess things that have a significant impact on someone's life.

What I think of this weather or how well a sports team is doing probably isn't going to have any significant impact on someone's life.

Decisions my daughter makes as a result of her "fender bender" on Friday would probably qualify as significant, as these decisions will have an impact on her finance and as a result, her life.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I would guess things that have a significant impact on someone's life.

What I think of this weather or how well a sports team is doing probably isn't going to have any significant impact on someone's life.

Decisions my daughter makes as a result of her "fender bender" on Friday would probably qualify as significant, as these decisions will have an impact on her finance and as a result, her life.
Right and I agree totally.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Hi. How are you doing?
Great. And you?
Oh, I'm getting along just fine. How are those kids of your's?

Oh, they're both doing good. The oldest is graduating this year.
Time does fly. And the youngest?
Well catching up on that one could take a while.

I've got the time. Let's go get a coffee and you can tell me all about it.
I'd like that. It's been a tough few months although it's better now.

And from there you're in deep, and "possibly" heavy.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

But what exactly is small talk? Where is the line drawn between small talk and normal conversation?
Ultimate questions about life and existence isn't small talk? Uh oh, time for a reality check.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

Small talk is when your coworkers say "Gee, it sure was busy today!"

No kidding. I was here too Mr. coworker. Got anything interesting to say for once?

And if they got something interesting to say, then it moves past small talk.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It depends on circumstances. Take the weather. It's small talk? But not if a person responds: my wedding was ruined because of a thunderstorm, my fiance and I had a horrible fight about what to do and decided not to get married. (extreme example of course)

mangalavara

हर हर महादेव
Premium Member
Where is the line drawn between small talk and normal conversation?

Where the line between small talk and deeper conversation is drawn is in the Thar Desert, Rajasthan, India.

640px-Standing_Alone_in_thar.jpg

The photo above shows many, many lines in the sand. I don’t know which one separates normal conversation from deeper conversation, of course. If I am ever there, I will listen carefully to any conversations in order to figure out which line is the line.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

In Denmark - How are you doing? - is both small talking and not depending on the actual context and the people involved.
Just yesterday a friend of my wife asked that and she got the heavy, significant answer.
So for to Danes meeting it depends even if it is in the City on the shopping street and with people around.