• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoism in decline?

Gaddock

Quote: "Also, many newer religions using Taoist-like ideas. Wicca, for example."

I think this is correct. I am a Wiccan but I also practice and teach Tai Chi and Qi-gong. I see Taoism as a philosophy that is completely compatable with my religious outlook. There are also lots of people interested in Tai Chi who are exposed to Taoist concepts to one extent or another.

Also its worth pointing out that popular self-help author 'BarefootDoctor' who is very big in Britain at least, has done a lot to popularise Taoist philosophy.

Regards

Gaddock

gecko

As others have said, the Taoism "religion" may well be declining, but the wider belief in the Tao seems to me to be growing. Isolated pockets of people all over the world are Taoist, whether they know it or not.

Also as has been said, true Taoists will not shout their belief from the highest hill, "Those who know, don't talk, those who talk, don't know". Taoist teaching is through action, or non-action perhaps more accurately.

Spend a day contemplating the beauty of the rain falling - the best Taoist lecture I've ever had.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Agree with our friendsMaster Vigil & Somkid that Taoism is not a religion.
Most of our friends are still confused about the differences between a philisophy and a religion.
The understand that would like to share is this:
Philosophy is that where one unses the MIND to discuss/debate/understand the thoughts on religion but it is still not religion.
Religion in its true sense is only that one practices to merge with that what one may called god, tao, allah, bhagwan, etc. Here it is no more a discussion/deabte. Here one has already understood what needs to be understood and puts all that into practice.
Rather would put it that religion is the practice or the practical part of the theory or philosophy.
Could be that this understanding does not match conventional ideas but then it still is the understanding.
Finally have to sum up by stating that Taoism like sanatan dharma is a way of life or the practice one may put into to merge with his source.
Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Not OT but as interesting trivia, the Japanese word "Shinto" is a combination of two Chinese words meaning "the way of the spiritual power" (shen : "spiritual power, divinity"; tao : "the way or path")

TaoistThinker

It's kind of my observation that Taoism is in decline and has been for a long time. It's not a very big religion at all and keeps getting smaller. Really there's only one or two places where it is still in practice.

Has anyone else noticed this? If so, why do you think that is?

Where have you gained this information? Taoism is most definitely not indecline my friend. In fact, it is continuousy growing larger all the time.

d.

_______
Not OT but as interesting trivia, the Japanese word "Shinto" is a combination of two Chinese words meaning "the way of the spiritual power" (shen : "spiritual power, divinity"; tao : "the way or path")

rather the way of the spiritual powers, i.e. kami [神 kami/shin]. kami is often translated as 'god/s' but the concepts don't match exactly. 'the way of the kami' is a less confusing translation.

道 [do/michi] is also found in kendo, bushido, taekwondo, dojo etc.
In Japanese, a Dō implies a body of knowledge and tradition with an ethic and an aesthetic, and having the characteristics of specialization (senmonsei), transmissivity (keishōsei), normativity (kihansei),(kihensei), and authoritativeness (ken'isei).

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
rather the way of the spiritual powers, i.e. kami [神 kami/shin]. kami is often translated as 'god/s' but the concepts don't match exactly. 'the way of the kami' is a less confusing translation.

道 [do/michi] is also found in kendo, bushido, taekwondo, dojo etc.
In Japanese, a Dō implies a body of knowledge and tradition with an ethic and an aesthetic, and having the characteristics of specialization (senmonsei), transmissivity (keishōsei), normativity (kihansei),(kihensei), and authoritativeness (ken'isei).

Thank you for your elaboration d., personally I don't understand Japanese or Chinese but rely on Google Translate. According to it, the English transliterated 'Shinto' is represented in Japanese characters as; 神 道

According to Google Translate the Japanese characters 道 means 'path' and are the same characters in Chinese for Tao, and the Japanese characters 神 means 'God' which are the same characters in Chinese for 'Deity'.

BTW, the wiki link doesn't work for me.

Jethro Tull

Fisher of men
I don't think Taoism is in decline, simply because it has roots in many different religions. Taoism has evolved.

Taoren

Your right, the Tao is nothing and everything and Taoism is a specific religion based off of ancient practices from the Chinese culture. The Tao is not something to worry about nor correspond to, its just is what it is and nothing else, there for Taoists practice a religion to better learn and understand the true nature of self, man and heaven to become closer to the tao.
Tao is a Chinese philosophy and Taoism is a Chinese religion, there for they intermix, but not to subscribe to one or the other is like saying you like air but refuse to breath it - lol they are one in the same and it is not up to you to dicect it for your liking - sorry.
Being a westerner as I, it is quite obvious you are sort of new to this philosophy I can understand how you can misjudge such a concept, many do and more than not people create their own theories and ideals based off of there own illusions of what something should or shouldn't be without any regard to the history and foundation of such practices as Taoism.

My first post....