• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taoists are Anarchists?

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
~Lord Roghen~ said:
if you read the tao te ching Lao Tzu is usually having trouble with the authorities of the emporer.
Personally, my reading of the Tao Te Ching was that, at least on one level, it advises rulers to act in a certain way; instead of stating that there shouldn't be any rulers.

For example:

Use the expected to govern the country,
Use surprise to wage war,
Use non-action to win the world.

(Though to be fair I could easily find verses pointing to the contrary. Paradox; such is the nature of Tao *looks sagelike* :p)

While I would certainly agree that one of the central themes of the Tao Te Ching is the harmony that can be found in allowing our inner nature to naturally be reflected in our external behavior, instead of artificially imposing limitations or requirements on oneself and others, I would hesitate to go as far as calling it 'one of the greatest anarchist classics'. Sadly, I've only had time for a brief glimpse at this article, I'll be back later for a more thorough review. :)

(Interesting read so far, though)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Scarlett Wampus said:
I'd never thought about it before but I guess the connections are there, just like Taoist thought has parrallels with the philosophical "Romantic Movement" that had anarchist sympathies.

well because anarchy literally just means "without government" (thank you cap'n obvious) I could see how it should be a standard Taoism. Well, for ANY religion, imo.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Master Vigil said:
Not necessatily no government, just government that runs so well, that we the people are unaware of it.
In that case, I'm an anarchist as well. The government we have today is not the same government our forefathers had in mind. They even foresaw the possibility of a government getting 'too big for their britches'. I do not think there is anything wrong with questioning man's authority.