• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taylor Swift?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
No offense intended, but why? I just don't get it.

(Full disclosure: I never understood the Elvis or Beetles craze either.)
I am not a fan of contemporary pop music. I just know her as the girl friend of Travis Kelce, one of the greatest tight ends in the NFL, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. Whenever the Kansas City Chiefs play on national television, you can depend on them showing a shot of Taylor Swift when Travis Kelce makes a big play, or the Chiefs do something like score a touchdown. The Kansas City Chiefs won the Superbowl last year. Lucky Taylor Swift.

Truthseeker

Sometimes a poster cannot merely post in a thread to
express disinterest. Gotta create one for that purpose.

Now, for everyone's listening pleasure,
a favorite performance from someone
I'd hate to ever make angry....
I'm afraid I have a limited taste in music. My genre is classical music, but not much classical music beyond the late 19th century. I also don't like much baroque music. I do very much like Enya in contemporary music, but that's an exception. In Yesteryear I especially liked Simon and Garfunkel, especially "Bridge over troubled water". In general in pop music I'm a 60's man. I know very little about the contemporary pop music scene.

I also hate contemporary Jazz, it sets my teeth on edge.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm afraid I have a limited taste in music. My genre is classical music, but not much classical music beyond the late 19th century. I also don't like much baroque music. I do very much like Enya in contemporary music, but that's an exception. In Yesteryear I especially liked Simon and Garfunkel, especially "Bridge over troubled water". In general in pop music I'm a 60's man. I know very little about the contemporary pop music scene.

I also hate contemporary Jazz, it sets my teeth on edge.
Jazz largely ended for me in mid 20th century.
Exceptions for me are throwbacks, eg....

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically I am not familiar with Taylor Swift's work, but I do joke about being a fan in games'n jokes. I'm such a fanboy! There's something funny about a person being that famous. I guess it creates a kind of jealousy in me.

She must be very interesting and smart and therefore fun. I'm sure she's great, but I really am not familiar.

Truthseeker

Jazz largely ended for me in mid 20th century.
Exceptions for me are throwbacks, eg....
I never watched Taxi Driver, but I know it is one of Robert DeNiro's early acting jobs. It is also a movie with a young Jodie Foster, and I heard that Hinckley unfortunate got obsessed with her when he saw that film, and inspired his attempt on Reagan's life. But Jodie has gone on to have a good career. Recently I saw her in True Detective. The music is okay, I had never heard it before.

On Wikipedia it says this was Bernard Hermann's last score, finished hours before his death. DeNiro had one of his many nominations for best actor, and Jodie Foster was nominated for best supporting actress. Apparently this is where Scorsese made his first big mark.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I never watched Taxi Driver, but I know it is one of Robert DeNiro's early acting jobs. It is also a movie with a young Jodie Foster, and I heard that Hinckley unfortunate got obsessed with her when he saw that film, and inspired his attempt on Reagan's life. But Jodie has gone on to have a good career. Recently I saw her in True Detective. The music is okay, I had never heard it before.

On Wikipedia it says this was Bernard Hermann's last score, finished hours before his death. DeNiro had one of his many nominations for best actor, and Jodie Foster was nominated for best supporting actress. Apparently this is where Scorsese made his first big mark.
Bernard Herrmann is one of me favorite composers.
Stellar scores for Psycho, The Day The Earth Stood Still,
Cape Fear, Vertigo, Twisted Nerve, & more.

Tomef

Actually I remember reading an article about how her songs are often about finding oblivion in transitory but exciting relationships, and how that creates a fantasy of living only in the most exciting peaks of life, continually. Or something like that. So I suppose that has an appeal.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
The swastika (卐 or 卍) is an ancient religious and cultural symbol, predominantly found in various Eurasian cultures, as well as some African and American ones. In the West it is more widely recognized as a symbol of the German Nazi Party who appropriated it from Asian cultures starting in the early 20th century.
I know. Im just pointing out what little i know about her

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Now that Taylor lives in my city I have listened to a few of her songs. They are catchy and well crafted as pop songs go. I don’t find them very complex musically or lyrically. I’m used to music like Talk Talk and Joy Division.

Yup, they're pretty simple, musically, but one of my daughter's love them, and I like that TS can sing...
I even have one of her songs on my main Spotify playlist, albeit not being sung by her...

We Never Know

No Slack
I am not a fan of contemporary pop music. I just know her as the girl friend of Travis Kelce, one of the greatest tight ends in the NFL, who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. Whenever the Kansas City Chiefs play on national television, you can depend on them showing a shot of Taylor Swift when Travis Kelce makes a big play, or the Chiefs do something like score a touchdown. The Kansas City Chiefs won the Superbowl last year. Lucky Taylor Swift.
Some videos crack me up. This cop lip syncing one of her songs is one. I like how he straightens up and looks serious when he passes people lol

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Not hating on her. She's just not heavy enough for me. I'm still buzzing from a recent Cannibal Corpse and Mayhem concert. It should hold me over until the Louder Than Life music festival at the end of summer. Slayer is going to be one of the headliners.

snapinsta.app_428636341_18431085823000192_7752336509035882706_n_1024 (1).jpg

Yerda

Veteran Member
She must be doing something right, but I have no idea what that is. Some catchy tunes. A lot of blandness and nothing very original. Maybe she is just hitting that sweet spot where the music is simply accessible and enjoyable to enough people without being overly annoying or cheesy. Which is a rare skill.

InChrist

Free4ever

Nothing wrong with enjoying music and different people have a variety of musical tastes. But when one becomes obsessed with following certain popular celebrities, music or otherwise, I think it falls into the category of idol worship.