• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Visits

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3416947 said:
Namaste Vinayaka-ji,

Kindly, pray do tell what is "Kodimaram", if you have the time?

M.V.

The kodimaram is the temple flagpole. Mystically, it is like an electric conductor.

images

I did go last night for 3 more hours. Lots of new stuff this year. They brought down the flag, signifying the end, did one last procession, and then a running procession with Sri Sandeeshwara, and then, in a light hearted vein, a group of young men carried the priest around the temple (just the inside) by hand, as a traditional 'Thank You' so there was a lot of fun. Lots of dakshinas, and a nice concluding 'thank you to everyone, by the temple president. So it's like 'See you next year." Out temple festival really is like a big family reunion of sorts. Lots of people take holidays, and we have guests come from a s far as UK and Toronto or Vancouver in Canada.

Still there are two more days ... Murugan's symbolic wedding tonight symbolising the soul's merger with god, and then the Bhairavar puja on Wednesday beseeching another year of His protection for this temple.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Namaste Vinayaka-ji,

How can I ever reach your level of devotion? It is awesome to hear your stories.

M.V.

ps - Is the Shrī Kodimaram largely a Southern procession?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3418206 said:
ps - Is the Shrī Kodimaram largely a Southern procession?

It's not a procession, but part of temple architecture. I'm an just an ignorant fool, but as far as I know they are most common in Tamil Nadu and in Kerala. The Kerala style is a bit different. My guess is that they were prescribed in the agamas. Most South style temples are built according to agamas.

I learned more about flags last night. The cotton flag with a particular design is hoisted and remains adjacent right at the side of the kodimaram. Flags are only used once, and a brand new one will be made for next year's festival. In Tamil temples, each individual temple has one or more annual festivals. Some last as long as 21 days, but 10 days is fairly common too. It's a bit like a pilgrimage, a time when you put worldly affairs aside, and put your life's entire focus on God, or your relationship with God.

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
This morning I visited the Bharatiya Hindu Temple in Eastern PA. It looks like it is still in the process of being finished on the outside, but based on what was completed and the style of the murtis inside this is probably a North Indian Style Temple.

Another Quiet Sunday morning. I was taken by surprise by the beauty of the interior. The only photos on the website of the interior are closeups of the smaller brass murtis that stand in front of the Marble ones. The shrines (I can never remember the name for them) were stunning and well taken care of. The Murtis were life size or slightly smaller. There were a few surpises in this temple that I'd never seen before.

There was a Parvati and Shiva Murti seated behind the lingam in white marble. I have never seen a Shiva form this large other then the lingam at a temple. One curious thing about the Shiva Lingam was that it was given a kind of "face" using bejeweled features. Another new site was a shrine with a large white marble Hanuman that was quite beautiful as well.

The presiding deities were Lashmi-Narayan. I spent some time in prayer/meditation before them, did my pradakshina, took tilak and reluctantly left. :)

It's a wonderful Temple and I wish it were closer to me! I may not be able to make a regular weekly visit here, but at least once a month. I am finding that with each Temple I visit I am feeling more and more like I belong there. I think the self consciousnesses is slowly crumbling. I even managed to bow before Lakshmi - Narayan without feeling odd. In fact it felt wonderful to be able to show my devotion that way.

There is one other Temple that is within easy reach of me that I want to visit in a few weeks.

:camp:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I went to the grand opening of Canada's most northerly temple in Grande Prairie, AB. Fairly small group, but now they have a temple. Quite a 'mixed' community. There were probably 10 Indian states presented. Beats the 4.5 hour drive to Edmonton. The main altar held Balaji, Ganehsa, Sri Gurga, and Radha-Krisha. Other smaller read included the navagraha, a Lingam, and other smaller ones.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Namaste All!

This morning I visited a new temple! This one was 45 minutes away from me - much closer than the other temples in my area. This was a small Rama Temple called the HARI association in New Cumberland, PA. While the architecture is western in style, and the interior is simple, I felt right at home.

I am always a little nervous visiting new temples. I never know how I will be perceived. But time and time again my nervousness is proven needless.

I was the only one there besides the volunteer holding the place of the priest while he went to do a puja at someone's home. I did my prayers and prostrations, offered apples and then meditated for a while. The volunteer asked me my name and told me to make sure I took prasad before I left. We talked briefly and he seemed surprised that I knew how to conduct myself at the temple. I explained that I had previously been a volunteer at another temple. This month is shravan month - something I don't know much about, but he invited me to pour water on the lingam. I didn't know what he meant when he told me to take some of the water and anoint myself, since all the water wet down a drain, but then he showed me (he just dabbed whatever droplets were left in the yoni and sprinkled me with it.) I told him I was still learning and he was very jolly and said "Oh that's fine! No problem!"

I told him I was learning Hindi and that I was having trouble because I had no one to speak it with on a regular basis. He invited me to the Temple's Hindi classes and said that I could call him any time to practice, saying it was a privilege to share his language with others.:)

He was very kind and definitely gave me a warm welcome to the temple, so i believe this will be my regular temple "home" in my new state. I am happy because the other temples were stunning but very far away. I have already emailed the Temple President to offer my volunteer services if they are needed. We shall see what he says.

Oh, but to the actual temple. Like I said, it is a Rama Temple, with smaller deities in wall nooks on either side. They are made of White marble except for Sri Venkateswara who is black granite. Now that I think about it I don't remember a Ganesh, but I must be mistaken about that. Every other temple I've visited had a Ganesh. It is situated in a heavily wooded area so it is a nice environment for a temple.

I am very happy to have a temple I can go to on a regular basis. It will help me keep my connection to my faith as I continue to learn.

:camp:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I visited this Hari temple during my recent trip to Pennsylvania. It is a very peaceful little mandir, with Sri Rama and his darbar in great splendour right in the middle of the room. Since Sri Rama is my Ishta, I loved this temple. There are Ganesha and Shivaling placed on the step beneath Rama.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Here in South Africa i like to visit the local Hindu temple in Bakerton, Springs, Gauteng. Though i am not Hindu myself (ecclectic, love to mix and match) i agree with some basic concepts and absolutely love watching the worship services. I also go there to meditate sometimes and have discussions with the priest. The one thing about this temple (and, for me, indeed of all of Hinduism) is that it is always very beautifull but at the same time humble

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Here in South Africa i like to visit the local Hindu temple in Bakerton, Springs, Gauteng. Though i am not Hindu myself (ecclectic, love to mix and match) i agree with some basic concepts and absolutely love watching the worship services. I also go there to meditate sometimes and have discussions with the priest. The one thing about this temple (and, for me, indeed of all of Hinduism) is that it is always very beautifull but at the same time humble

Sorry for the randomness, but isn't "Maynu" supposed to be "Manyu"?

And, I am happy that the temples were a humbling experience.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I know several Hindus here in Canada who are second time migrants, from South Africa, but if you go further back, India. South Africa has it's own unique brand of Hinduism, like so many other indentured labour places.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
Today I went to the Vishnu Mandir located in Richmond Hill, northeast of Toronto. The trip was 110km there and back for me so about 40 minutes drive there and 40 minutes back. The temple was amazing! It was very large on the inside and outside they had a walkway with a large Gandhi statue. I took some photos of the wall of peace which included Gandhiji, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr, Buddha, and logos of Hinduism, Judaism and Islam, as well as a nice statue of Jesus. The murti's were amazing and I was very happy to see Sai Baba there (Both Shirdi and Sathya). The temple also had a south Indian section which was very interesting for me to see. This mandir was opened by a west Indian doctor and there were many Guyanese people there so I was basically an outcast lol. Here is the website: Vishnu Mandir - Hinduism - Vishnu Temple - Toronto - VOV - Dr. Doobay

Some photos:
83p0g9Y.jpg

EfgmDyp.jpg

b7FBnAl.jpg

IbxAmXR.jpg

9wTswdm.jpg

Bu8scJs.jpg

2819ZdR.jpg

I wasn't too sure of taking photos of the murti's and the protocol so I quickly took one of Hanumanji and put my Camera away. The other photos were from the museum/exhibit and the Gandhi statue was located outside in a nice garden walkway

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes that is a beautiful temple, and I've actually been there. Dr. Doobay does excellent work for Hinduism. I have yet to see the museum. Did you have time to wander it some?

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
मैत्रावरुणिः;3450938 said:
Sachin,

Is the Mandir you visited merged with the museum/exhibit?
Yes it is :)
Yes that is a beautiful temple, and I've actually been there. Dr. Doobay does excellent work for Hinduism. I have yet to see the museum. Did you have time to wander it some?
Yes Dr. Doobay (First time learning about him) has done very good things. Ya I was walking around and looking at the various things they had. It was definitely a great mandir and I'm looking forward to visiting again in the future.

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram
मैत्रावरुणिः;3450946 said:
Nooo! Oh, the horror!

Yea, they had a wall of peace with like the logos of Judaism, Islam and Christianity that I believe shouldn't be there because they wouldn't do the same for us. (Well I know Islam wouldn't).

Sb1995

Om Sai Ram

Vinayaka ji you should definitely come back and visit. I recall you saying you visited almost 20 years ago and many new temples have come and things have changed. I'd be delighted if you were to come to the Hindu Heritage Centre, Vaishno Devi, or Ram Mandir