• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Testament

drsatish

Testament

I know there is a War going on in this forum ...on the Old Testament vs the New Testament.

What is Testament?

The Free Dictionary Says

1. Something that serves as tangible proof or evidence: The spacious plan of the city is a testament to the foresight of its founders.
2. A statement of belief; a credo: my political testament.
3. Law A written document providing for the disposition of a person's property after death; a will.
4. Testament Bible Either of the two main divisions of the Bible.
5. Archaic A covenant between humans and God.

testament - definition of testament by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I think ..in layman's terms...it has something to do with...Testify...with some Connection to the ..Truth.

As TIME progresses...so DO....Testaments...

classified in the EXTREMELY SHORT MEMORY of ONE SPECIES of 200,000 odd years as as...

Homo erectus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
..1.5 to 1.8 Millionnnnnn Years
Human - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago

..Testament - minus 1,800,000 years....Sorry!...Lost to the Winds, Oceans and Earthquakes!
..Testament - minus 10,000 years
..Testament - minus 9,000 years
..Testament - minus 8,000 years
..Testament - minus 7,000 years
..Testament - minus 6,000 years
..Testament - minus 5,000 years
..Testament - minus 4,000 years
..Testament - minus 3,000 years
..Testament - minus 2,000 years
..Testament - minus 1,000 years
..Testament - minus 900 years
..Testament - minus 800 years
..Testament - minus 700 years
..Testament - minus 600 years
..Testament - minus 500 years
..Testament - minus 400 years
..Testament - minus 300 years
..Testament - minus 200 years
..Testament - minus 100 years
..Testament - minus 90 years
..Testament - minus 80 years
..Testament - minus 70 years
..Testament - minus 60 years
..Testament - minus 50 years
..Testament - minus 40 years
..Testament - minus 30 years
..Testament - minus 20 years
..Testament - minus 10 years
..Testament - minus 5 years
..Testament - minus day before Yesterday.....
..Testament - Plus 50 years
..Testament - Plus 500 years
..Testament - Plus 5000 years
..Testament - Plus 500000 years
..Testament - Plus 50 Billion Light Years!

Has TRUTH....any STATISTICAL CO-EFFICIENCY...with TESTAMENTS?

THE CORRELATION COEFFICIENT
Correlation and dependence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Truth shall set you Free!
Satish

Levite

Higher and Higher
The word "Testament" to describe the books of the Bible is a coinage of the Latin-speaking early Christians. They used the term because, in their understanding, the "Old Testament" is based on the "testimony" or the "truthful speech" of Moses, who is classically accounted the author (or at least, the transcriber) of the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures; the "New Testament," in their view, was the "testimony" of the apostles of Jesus, who were offering their "truthful speech" concerning the teachings of Jesus, his life, and the teachings of those who followed him, which superseded the "Old Testament."

Jews do not use the term "Testament." We do not use an equivalent term in Hebrew, either. The Hebrew Scriptures (obviously we Jews do not include the "New Testament" in the Bible, since we do not believe in Jesus, or the teachings of his followers) are organized into three sections: Torah, which literally means "Teaching" or "That which is to be taught," which encompasses the first five books of the canon (the so-called Five Books of Moses); Nevi'im, which means "The Prophets," and encompasses Joshua, Judges, Samuel, Kings, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and the books of the twelve minor prophets; and Ketuvim, which means "The Writings," and encompasses Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra/Nehemiah, and Chronicles. We refer to the entirety of this canon of the Hebrew Scriptures using the acronym of the first letters of the three sections: Tanakh.

Whatever the connotations of the term "Testament" regarding the truth or the demonstrative power of the texts, those connotations are Christian ideas, imposed where no such connotations had been before. Even when using English to discuss texts, Jews will use the term Tanakh, or Torah (as a metonymy for the entirety of the Tanakh), or if English terminology is demanded, we will almost always use terms like The Hebrew Scriptures, The Hebrew Bible, The Jewish Canon, rather than "Old Testament," which has implied ideas that we simply reject.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The word "Testament" to describe the books of the Bible is a coinage of the Latin-speaking early Christians. They used the term because, in their understanding, the "Old Testament" is based on the "testimony" or the "truthful speech" of Moses, who is classically accounted the author (or at least, the transcriber) of the first five books of the Hebrew Scriptures; the "New Testament," in their view, was the "testimony" of the apostles of Jesus, who were offering their "truthful speech" concerning the teachings of Jesus, his life, and the teachings of those who followed him, which superseded the "Old Testament."

Without a doubt the testimony is only as reliable as the truthfulness of the person(s) giving the testimony.

If a testimony is being given about God, then a person should have the ability to verify that testimony by asking God if it is true.

God has verified the testimonies given in the Tanakh, the New Testament and the Qu'ran to me. The one instance that He took exception to, was a passage in Job. When I asked a teaching authority about it, he said that no-one was sure of the translation because the text was so old.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
If there is a war going on between the New Testament and the Old Testament, then I will gladly sit the fence, kind of like the Swiss . . . or is that the Swedes?

Well, whomever it is that always sits the fence, please keep a seat warm for me up there.

As a matter of fact, I'd just soon not have anymore wars, of any kind. So, I pledge to sit the fence on all of 'em. Oh, except for the one of critical importance to all mankind, the one that literally segregates all the world into two polarized camps of viscious combatants, and for that war I'll choose the side of 'less filling' cause Miller Lite certainly doesn't 'taste great'.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I thought New Testament came from Novum Testamentum of Latin, meaning "New Covenant", or "New Will".

drsatish

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hi Angel,

If NO WAR,

RF will NOT exist...

& All Humans will be Seeing/Welcoming Tomorrow's Sun
with
Surya Namaskara
Surya Namaskara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or MY Breakfast Recipes...
Breakfast Recipes from Around the World

or Today's Wall Street Recipe for the Day..??????????
NYSE, New York Stock Exchange

My Clean-Glass Tomorrow!.....of Normal, Exquisite Rainbow Colors!
Satish

I think you must be referring to the constant wrngling between Christians and Jews pertaining to the validity of the New Testament.

drsatish

I think you must be referring to the constant wrngling between Christians and Jews pertaining to the validity of the New Testament.

Yes.
the constant wrngling between Christians and Jews
the constant wrngling between Christians and Jews and Muslims
the constant wrngling between Hindus and Muslims
the constant wrngling between various castes in Hinduism
the constant wrngling between various sects in Islam
the constant wrngling between various sects in Christianity
the constant wrngling between various Religions
the constant wrngling between various Countries
the constant wrngling between various Races
the constant wrngling between believers in God and believers in No-God
the constant wrngling between various believers in More Money and believers in Less Money
the constant wrngling between believers in Self-Glory and believers in Collective-Glory
the constant wrngling between human species and whale species for species survival - as the whales are drinking up all the drinking water required for the very survival of the human species.

Yes.
Satish