• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That New Guy - Frank.

Hi folks, my name is Frank and I am a Catholic aesthetically speaking. So what do you guys think of those olympics thus far? Did you see that Opening Ceremony? That was one big opulent display of capitalist excess in the face of poverty and austerity. Don't you think? And a bit too gaudy for my simple taste. But to each their own. I am glad to be checking in and hope we can be friends or at least acquaintances.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hey Frank,

Can you explain the first sentence in your post?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I can't help it -- I am a lover of the grand spectacle. But I also love the Olympics for the fact that it uses sport to bring diverse people together. There are athletes from nearly every country, language, culture, religion and sexual orientation in the world. Athletes who have worked and trained to be the best at what they do, competing with others, often unlike themselves except in that hard work and dedication.

Welcome to the Forums, and hope you enjoy your time with us.

I can't help it -- I am a lover of the grand spectacle. But I also love the Olympics for the fact that it uses sport to bring diverse people together. There are athletes from nearly every country, language, culture, religion and sexual orientation in the world. Athletes who have worked and trained to be the best at what they do, competing with others, often unlike themselves except in that hard work and dedication.

Welcome to the Forums, and hope you enjoy your time with us.
I love the sports and the competition. I just thought the Opening Ceremony was over the top.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Hi folks, my name is Frank and I am a Catholic aesthetically speaking. So what do you guys think of those olympics thus far? Did you see that Opening Ceremony? That was one big opulent display of capitalist excess in the face of poverty and austerity. Don't you think? And a bit too gaudy for my simple taste. But to each their own. I am glad to be checking in and hope we can be friends or at least acquaintances.
Hello and welcome!!

And I think you are right about the opening ceremony

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I am Catholic and believe in God simply because I find that it adds more beauty to my life and I find beauty pleasurable. I am not big on labels and such but people who are into labels and quantifying everything under the sun like to call it "aesthetic theism" while I call it me being me

I don't recall hearing this perspective before, so that's cool on it's own.

Can you say more about how believing in a god adds more beauty to your life?

I don't recall hearing this perspective before, so that's cool on it's own.

Can you say more about how believing in a god adds more beauty to your life?
I find the principle of exists in lots of religions like the pagans and wiccans. They worship and celebrate life because to do so is beautiful. I find it very beneficial to center aesthetics in life instead just mere reason or faith. Aesthetics adds quality to both reason and faith.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Hi Frank welcome to RF.

You'll find more opulent shenanigans in the staff canteen breakfast debates...

@giphy (2).gif

Enjoy.

You are right that the money could have been spent elsewhere, it's one of the arguments going on here in France today. Having said that, i have to admit, it was the most spectacular opening ceremony I've seen.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Having said that, i have to admit, it was the most spectacular opening ceremony I've seen.
Did you see the dancer's testicle that slipped out of his costume? I didn't during the actual broadcast

Also, one of Lady Gaga's backing dancers fell off stage!!!

I didn't spot that either

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to Religious Forums! (I hardly pay much attention to the Olympics.)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Did you see the dancer's testicle that slipped out of his costume? I didn't during the actual broadcast

Also, one of Lady Gaga's backing dancers fell off stage!!!

I didn't spot that either
I never see anything all that interesting. Dang it.