• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That New Guy - Frank.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Did you see the dancer's testicle that slipped out of his costume? I didn't during the actual broadcast

Also, one of Lady Gaga's backing dancers fell off stage!!!

I didn't spot that either

I didn't spot either...

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I find the principle of exists in lots of religions like the pagans and wiccans. They worship and celebrate life because to do so is beautiful. I find it very beneficial to center aesthetics in life instead just mere reason or faith. Aesthetics adds quality to both reason and faith.
I completely agree that beauty and aesthetics are a wonderful aspect of life, I value them highly.

But I'm still confused about how believing in a god is related to appreciating beauty? I'm an atheist and I'm in awe of beauty on a daily basis.

I completely agree that beauty and aesthetics are a wonderful aspect of life, I value them highly.

But I'm still confused about how believing in a god is related to appreciating beauty? I'm an atheist and I'm in awe of beauty on a daily basis.
I am very happy that you find beauty everyday because beauty brings us all happiness. I happen to find beauty in believing in God and exploring belief and it makes me happy. It's not based on rationalism just on what appeals to my senses and my innermost being. So tell me do we only experience beauty through the fives senses or is there something else involved?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I am very happy that you find beauty everyday because beauty brings us all happiness. I happen to find beauty in believing in God and exploring belief and it makes me happy. It's not based on rationalism just on what appeals to my senses and my innermost being. So tell me do we only experience beauty through the fives senses or is there something else involved?

Well I'm more or less a science geek, so I'd say we have more than 5 senses, for example we have at least proprioception in addition to the 5 most people think of.

While I'm an atheist, I also claim to be quite spiritual. So I think emotions and experiences like appreciation, awe, happiness, empathy are all very real. I just don't need to believe in the supernatural to have all those emotions and experiences.

So again, I think your perspective is interesting, I think in 10 years on this forum I haven't heard it before.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I totally get the beauty of the ancientness of the Roman Catholic Church. I also get the beauty of the sacraments. The beauty is one of the many things that drew me to the Catholic Church. Welcome!