• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 613 commandments?

jasonwill2

Israelite version? Whatta, I thought Israel as country was "made" just in the last century. 1948 If you care. It would be more correct to say the Jewish version.

But yes, the christian version came from the Jewish, but modified by Europeans. And the Jewish version from the Ancient Egyptians.

well your wrong my friend

judaism didnt exist 1200 BC

proto Israelites however did. In anthropology, when one is discussing this ancient culture the proper term is Israelite

the Egyptian Merneptah Stele dated a nomadic people and called these people Is I.si.ri.ar

So then that theocracy recorded of in the OT, what was that then?

History of ancient Israel and Judah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm pretty sure that there was an ancient nation known as Israel, though it seems they developed not as far back as 1200 BC from my skimming but a few centuries later they did. Or did they call themselves something else back then? My understanding is that the modern "State of Israel" is just a reincarnation of kinds, even if in land and name only.

outhouse

Atheistically
So then that theocracy recorded of in the OT, what was that then?

mythology created at a much later date

I'm pretty sure that there was an ancient nation known as Israel, though it seems they developed not as far back as 1200 BC from my skimming but a few centuries later they did.

I think you got it nailed

Or did they call themselves something else back then?

Nope they started as a semi nomadic displaced Canaanite people named Israel, who later formed a culture and city that took that name.

jasonwill2

mythology created at a much later date

I think you got it nailed

Nope they started as a semi nomadic displaced Canaanite people named Israel, who later formed a culture and city that took that name.

Then what was that theocratic country conquered by the Romans? It looked like that by 900 BC there was an ancient nation of israel and Judah that must of later got abosrbed. perhaps not all of the OT is true, it obviously isn't, but couldn't it be at least based largely on historic stuff, like with all the wars and book of judges and such? Did David exist for example? Or any of the other kings in the OT? Surely there is some historical basis for these things. The Jews were known for wanting to preserve tradition more than accuracy, however I feel that there would of been some basis in reality for the historical accounts, however biased, as recorded in a number of OT books. I don't find them making up hundreds of years of governence and kings and judges as plausible. Seems more likely it was at least somewhat based on some kind of reality.

edit: ok looked back at the link... they got conqured a lot.

But you really don't think they had some kind of theocracy, like a government based on religion? I don't see why that is unlikely.

outhouse

Atheistically
like with all the wars and book of judges and such? Did David exist for example? Or any of the other kings in the OT? Surely there is some historical basis for these things.

there may be historical cores to many of the legends, but as written there almost fiction. each has to be taken on a individual basis

many of the wars never took place, and what the kings are said to have done is mythology that matched teh culture at the time of composition. and of corse, later redacted to meet the later changes in culture. were talking about a evolving book for hundreds of years.

But you really don't think they had some kind of theocracy, like a government based on religion?

every new king had his version of religion and what they should follow and how, after 622 BC things evened out a bit and the evolutuion slowed to a crawl. before that it was evolving rather quickly.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Then what was that theocratic country conquered by the Romans? It looked like that by 900 BC there was an ancient nation of israel and Judah that must of later got abosrbed. perhaps not all of the OT is true, it obviously isn't, but couldn't it be at least based largely on historic stuff, like with all the wars and book of judges and such? Did David exist for example? Or any of the other kings in the OT? Surely there is some historical basis for these things. The Jews were known for wanting to preserve tradition more than accuracy, however I feel that there would of been some basis in reality for the historical accounts, however biased, as recorded in a number of OT books. I don't find them making up hundreds of years of governence and kings and judges as plausible. Seems more likely it was at least somewhat based on some kind of reality.

edit: ok looked back at the link... they got conqured a lot.

But you really don't think they had some kind of theocracy, like a government based on religion? I don't see why that is unlikely.
It may be best to start a new thread on these questions. There are varying view points on the origin of Israel, how far back they go, etc. If you wouldn't mind, I could also copy and paste your questions, and give my answers (as I said, there are varying viewpoints), in another thread to get a new discussion going.