• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Angels Commanded to bow before Adam?

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Does this help?

Thanks for the reply. You have a very interesting and unique view of spiritual matters. I find some of your ideas refreshing, as they are not the same old tired standards that many conventional religions fall back on.

And honestly, I appreciate the compliment, but I was not being humble, I really am very slow. There is a great deal that you have presented that is simply over my head. But thanks again for the reply.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I tend to think the angels bowing to Adam thing may not be literal. See sometimes when scripture speaks of angels it might be speaking of people, and sometimes it might be speaking of actual higher beings angels. Perhaps the angels bowing to Adam is also a metaphor that when people fell from our original natures, living in harmony with all living things, and slipped into the mindset of Maya (illusion), the angels (our angels/souls within) bowed to Adam (carnality).

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I tend to think the angels bowing to Adam thing may not be literal. See sometimes when scripture speaks of angels it might be speaking of people, and sometimes it might be speaking of actual higher beings angels. Perhaps the angels bowing to Adam is also a metaphor that when people fell from our original natures, living in harmony with all living things, and slipped into the mindset of Maya (illusion), the angels (our angels/souls within) bowed to Adam (carnality).

Whoa, that's pretty heavy. I mean, from a poetical perspective, that is quite profound. But also, as is true with a lot of poetry and other literature, the message in that sense seems a bit cloaked and esoteric.

I suppose my point is this, I sure hope the fate of my eternal soul doesn't hang on my ability to intellectually decipher the symbolic images and meanings from some ancient text. 'Cause if that be the case, I'll send you guys postcards from the Lake of Fire.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I never try to read the Bible literally, it's spiritual food, not carnal meat. You read it spiritually. The lake of fire also is not literal. When Jesus told the parable of the rich man and Lazerus, he was speaking of the rich man burning in the fires of greed. It's the same thing the Buddha taught in the Fire Sermon.

"The whole world is burning, I tell you monks. With what fire, O Monks, is everything burning? I tell you, the fires of greed, the fires of hate, the fires of envy, the fires of suffering. With this fire, O Monks, is everything burning." And it goes on to say when the Buddha had finished, many monks that day extinguished the fires of the carnal passions within themselves, and became liberated that day.

'Cause if that be the case, I'll send you guys postcards from the Lake of Fire.[/quote]

:no: lol I doubt that will happen

Why is this? I am not speaking of only the Quran either. The book of Haggadah says the angels were commanded to bow to Adam, which Michael and his host did, but which Satan wouldn't do, so he was cast from heaven. What is your take on this?

This is in the Quran because of the Haggabah. Either way I don't agree with this traditional teaching. For the record the Devil's name is not Lucifer. Bowing to angels is Idolatry