• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The battle that saved the West" (Lepanto, October 7th)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
The Battle of Lepanto was a naval engagement that took place on 7 October 1571 when a fleet of the Holy League, a coalition of Catholic states (comprising Spain and most of Italy) arranged by Pope Pius V, inflicted a major defeat on the fleet of the Ottoman Empire in the Gulf of Patras. The Ottoman forces were sailing westward from their naval station in Lepanto (the Venetian name of ancient Naupactus—Greek Ναύπακτος, Ottoman İnebahtı) when they met the fleet of the Holy League which was sailing east from Messina, Sicily.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lepanto

The victory was miraculous allegedly, and attributed to the Blessed Virgin Mary and recitation of the Rosary by the crusaders. It was known as the "Battle that saved the west".

The Feast of "Our Lady of the Rosary" and "Our Lady of Victories" was established today to commemorate and honor that battle. The aggression of the Ottoman Empire seemed to be unstoppable before Lepanto, and after Lepanto, the Ottoman Empire never recovered.

If the crusaders lost the battle of Lepanto, Saint Peter's Basilica would have been turned into a mosque!

Lain

If the crusaders lost the battle of Lepanto, Saint Peter's Basilica would have been turned into a mosque!

From the Psalter of Mary (Pseudo-Bonaventurian prayers to her):

Psalm 7: "O my Lady, in thee have I hoped: from my enemies deliver me. Shut thou the mouth of the lion and his teeth: restrain the lips of those that persecute me. For thy name's sake delay not to accomplish thy mercy in us. May the brightness of thy countenance shine upon us: that the Most High may keep remembrance of us. If the enemy should persecute my soul, O Lady, may I be strengthened by thy help: lest his sword should strike me. Glory be to God!"

It (this battle) is a very powerful encouragement for many to pray the Rosary, seeing the strength of the Mother of the Lord. May she be blessed by all generations for eternity.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Should Christians really celebrate the slaughter of people from a different religion?
Do you guys think that's still appropriate in this day and age?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Should Christians really celebrate the slaughter of people from a different religion?
Do you guys think that's still appropriate in this day and age?
I'm not a Christian.

But it was an act of self defense against a brutal Empire that was siezing every opportunity to conquer land.

Should Americans celebrate the 4th of July?