• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The benefit of belief in something bigger than yourself

Rain Drops

Lately I've been examiing everything (lately? Hmmm maybe always).

These days it's my conclusion that a happy and healthy life requires a 'belief' or 'understanding' of 'something' bigger than yourself.

I think this goes for all poeple, all faith, all philosophies.

A 'Big Picture' if you will.

Even if that Big Picture means you are your own God and that's your path, or that you are an aminal that will die and perish one day - The end.

People need a Goal, A Belief, A philosophy or outlook that keeps them from biting a bullet.

At the end of the day self indulgent hedonism does not provide a lasting existence and eventually becomes hollow and ash in the mouth. It's only a temporary pleasure ;)

I know this sounds obvious to a lot of people, but having gone through so much nihilistic depression I've realised how foolish it is to abandon all paradigms.

Amill

Apikoros
Yea that's kind of been my idea about life as well. Everyone needs to find their own "god", whether that's just our remarkable universe, a creator, or something else. I think any explanation about the existence of the Universe is unsatisfying to our minds, and we need something to keep ourselves from going nuts. Least that's how I am.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Lately I've been examiing everything (lately? Hmmm maybe always).

These days it's my conclusion that a happy and healthy life requires a 'belief' or 'understanding' of 'something' bigger than yourself.
I believe in elephants, they are bigger than me :p
I am not sure if I always understand them though..

I think this goes for all poeple, all faith, all philosophies.
Take away the "something bigger" and we might agree.. perhaps..

Even if that Big Picture means you are your own God and that's your path, or that you are an aminal that will die and perish one day - The end.
You are taking this very wide.. :p
Perhaps a bit too much. I might even say that everybody believes something.
In that case, the basis of this thread is kinda lost..

there is no right way to live.

while it may be important to some people that they battle insecurity with 'belief' (especially 'belief' in 'something bigger'), it is more important for me to be critically honest with myself - and assigning value to 'belief' rather than verifiable data does not benefit my honesty.

i never understand when people present this argument. WHAT do you mean by 'belief' in something? why does this something always have to be 'bigger than yourself'? what comfort do people really get out of letting something like a 'path' or 'greater good' rule over their decisions? why does it benefit us to allow some variable force blur our clear interpretation of our surroundings based on fact and reality? would you suggest that we all need to have a little bit of psychosis?

Mr Cheese

Actually beliefs are comforting, but ultimatly useless.

Beliefs are like maps, they help guisde us and show us the way

Beliefs are however not the territory they are describing.

this is why the wise know things like:

summa scientia nihil scire
"the height of knowledge is to know nothing"