• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Alone is Not Enough

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
JamesThePersian said:
I quite agree with this. It's the only honest answer that can be given. The question I have (and it, to be honest - along with some of Luther's interesting views of the NT - was a major cause of my abandoning Protestantism), is who gave them the right, after 1500 years, to change Scripture?
Of course I only said IF that is so, but that is not exactly my belief though it wouldn't be a disaster for me to come to that conclusion. I have the same canon as the Waldensians which predate the reformers :

Ancient Documents of the Waldenses
There are modern writers who attempt to fix the beginning of the Waldenses from Peter Waldo, who began his work about 1175. This is a mistake. The historical name of this people, as properly derived from the valleys where they lived, is Vaudois. Their enemies, however, ever sought to date their origin from Waldo. Waldo was an agent, evidently raised up of God to combat the errors of Rome. Gilly, who made extensive research concerning the Waldenses, pictures Waldo in his study at Lyon, France, with associates, a committee, "like the translators of our own Authorized Version." (Comba, Waldenses of Italy, p. 169, note 596.) Nevertheless the history of the Waldenses, or Vaudois, begins centuries before the days of Waldo.
There remains to us in the ancient Waldensian language, "The Noble Lesson," (La Nobla Leycon), written about the year 1100 A. D., which assigns the first opposition of the Waldenses to the Church of Rome to the days of Constantine the Great, when Sylvester was Pope. This may be gathered from the following extract:
"All the Popes, which have been from Sylvester to the present time." (Que tuit li papa, que foron de Silvestre en tro en aquest.) (Gilly, Excursions, Appendix 2, p. 10.)
Thus when Christianity, emerging from the long persecutions of pagan Rome, was raised to imperial favor by the Emperor Constantine, the Italic Church in northern Italy - later the Waldenses - is seen standing in opposition to papal Rome. Their Bible was of the family of the renowned Itala. It was that translation into Latin which represents the Received Text. Its very name "Itala" is derived from the Italic district, the regions of the Vaudois. Of the purity and reliability of this version, Augustine, speaking of different Latin Bibles (about 400 A.D.) says:
"Now among translations themselves the Italian (Itala) is to be preferred to the others, for it keeps closer to the words without prejudice to clearness of expression." (Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 2, p. 542.)
The old Waldensian liturgy which they used in their services down through the centuries contained "texts of Scripture of the ancient Version called the Italick." (Allix, Churches of Piedmont, 1690, p. 37.) The Reformers held that the Waldensian Church was formed about 120 A. D., from which date on, they passed down from father to son the teachings they received from the apostles. The Latin Bible, the Italic, was translated from the Greek not later than 157 A. D. (Scrivener's Introduction, Vol. 2, p. 43.) We are indebted to Beza, the renowned associate of Calvin, for the statement that the Italic Church dates from 120 A. D. From the illustrious group of scholars which gathered around Beza, 1590 A. D., we may understand how the Received Text was the bond of union between great historic churches. As the sixteenth century is closing, we see in the beautiful Swiss city of Geneva, Beza, an outstanding champion of Protestantism, the scholar Cyril Lucar, later to become the head of the Greek Catholic Church, and Diodati, also a foremost scholar. As Beza astonishes and confounds the world by restoring manuscripts of that Greek New Testament from which the King James is translated, Diodati takes the same and translates into Italian a new and famous edition, adopted and circulated by the Waldenses. (McClintock & Strong Encycl., Art. "Waldenses.") Leger, the Waldensian historian of his people, studied under Diodati at Geneva. He returned as pastor to the Waldenses and led them in their flight from the terrible massacre of 1655. (Gilly, Researches, pp. 79, 80.) He prized as his choicest treasure the Diodati Bible, the only worldly possession he was able to preserve. Cyril Lucar hastened to Alexandria where Codex A, the Alexandrian Manuscript, is lying, and laid down his life to introduce the Reformation and the Reformers' pure light regarding the books of the Bible.
http://members.aol.com/dwibclc/waldbib.htm

perhaps the sources for this work should be included:

A P P E N D I X
BOOKS IN THE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST LIBRARY
REGARDING THE ANCIENT WALDENSES1. History of the Evangelical Churches of the Valleys of Piemont, by Sir Samuel Morland, 1658 (two copies);
2. The Ecclesiastical History of the Ancient Churches of Piedmont, and of the Albigenses, by Dr. Peter Allix, 1690-1692 (two volumes in one) (two copies).
3. History and Theology of the Ancient Vallenses and Albigenses, by Dr. George S. Faber (two copies);
4. Excursion to the Mountains of Piemont, by William S. Gilly.
5. The Waldenses: Sketches of the Evangelical Christians of the Mountains of Piedmont, by A. W. Mitchell;
6. History of the Waldenses, by J. A. Wylie (two copies).
7. Pierre and His Family, author not given, reprint by the Primitive Baptist Library of Elon College, NC;
8. History of the Crusades Against the Albigenses, by Simonde de Sismondi.
9. History of the Vaudois Church, by Antoine Monastier.
10. Histoire generale des eglises evangeliques de Piemont ou vaudoises (in French), by Jean Leger, 1669 (1980 Italian reprint, in the French language.) (two volumes in one).
11. The Bibliografia Valdese, containing 3,500 titles, available from Societa di Studi Valdesi, Via Roberto D'Azeglio 2, 10066 Torre Pellice, Italy.
12. Claudiana Editrice, Via Principe Tommaso 1, 10125 Torino, Italy, has published a catalog of 500 titles in different languages on the Waldensians. 1991 edition is to be sent to us.
13. Histoire des persecutions et guerres faites depuis l'an 1555 jusques en l'an 1561 contre le peuple appele Vaudois.
14. Histoire memorable de la guerre faite par le Duc de Savoye Emanuel Philebert contre ses subjects des Vallees, 1561.
15. The Glorious Recovery by the Vaudois of Their Valleys, by Henri Arnaud, 1690, with a compendious history of that people previous and subsequent to that event by Hugh Dyke Acland, 1827 (microfilm).
16. The Waldenses, or Protestant Valleys of Piedmont and Dauphiny, by William Beattie, 1836 (microfilm).

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
quietlight said:
Yes. http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm

If you insist on using Google results as a reliable way to determine what other faiths are about, then I don't think I can continue a conversation with you.
Hmnn, I don't understand your angst with me. I did not manipulate the search, I only referenced them. If you are upset with the results, consult with Google. I was pretty happy with the results on the "head of the church of Christ". There were some anomalies, but quite often Jesus was seen as the "head".

As for the online catechism... thanks! However, what do you make of this passage from it? (Emboldening is mine.)

1966 The New Law is the grace of the Holy Spirit given to the faithful through faith in Christ. It works through charity; it uses the Sermon on the Mount to teach us what must be done and makes use of the sacraments to give us the grace to do it:
If anyone should meditate with devotion and perspicacity on the sermon our Lord gave on the mount, as we read in the Gospel of Saint Matthew, he will doubtless find there . . . the perfect way of the Christian life. . . . This sermon contains . . . all the precepts needed to shape one's life. Roman Catholic Catechism

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
[SIZE=+3]Waldensian Confessions of Faith[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1](Reproduced from Jone's Church History)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Waldenses Confession of 1120[/SIZE]
1. We believe and firmly maintain all that is contained in the twelve articles of the symbol, commonly called the apostles' creed, and we regard as heretical whatever is inconsistent with the said twelve articles.
2. We believe that there is one God - the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
3. We acknowledge for sacred canonical scriptures the books of the Holy Bible. (Here follows the title of each, exactly conformable to our received canon, but which it is deemed, on that account, quite unnecessary to particularize.) 4. The books above-mentioned teach us: That there is one GOD, almighty, unbounded in wisdom, and infinite in goodness, and who, in His goodness, has made all things. For He created Adam after His own image and likeness. But through the enmity of the Devil, and his own disobedience, Adam fell, sin entered into the world, and we became transgressors in and by Adam.​
http://www.pb.org/articles/walden.html

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
This is evidenced by their rejection of the heresies that are promulgated through the use of apocryphal works:

The Roman Catholic response to Waldensians

The members of the group were declared schismatics in 1184 in France and heretics more widely in 1215 by the Fourth Council of the Lateran's anathema. The rejection by the Church radicalized the movement; in terms of ideology the Waldensians became more obviously anti-Catholic - rejecting the authority of the clergy, declaring any oath to be a sin, claiming anyone could preach and that the Bible alone was all that was needed for salvation, and rejecting the concept of purgatory and the idea of relics and icons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Scuba Pete said:
Hmnn, I don't understand your angst with me. I did not manipulate the search, I only referenced them. If you are upset with the results, consult with Google. I was pretty happy with the results on the "head of the church of Christ". There were some anomalies, but quite often Jesus was seen as the "head".
Scuba Pete said:

As for the online catechism... thanks! However, what do you make of this passage from it? (Emboldening is mine.)

1966 The New Law is the grace of the Holy Spirit given to the faithful through faith in Christ. It works through charity; it uses the Sermon on the Mount to teach us what must be done and makes use of the sacraments to give us the grace to do it:
If anyone should meditate with devotion and perspicacity on the sermon our Lord gave on the mount, as we read in the Gospel of Saint Matthew, he will doubtless find there . . . the perfect way of the Christian life. . . . This sermon contains . . . all the precepts needed to shape one's life. Roman Catholic Catechism

It means the Bible Alone...:sarcastic

Quiddity

*Paul* said:
This is evidenced by their rejection of the heresies that are promulgated through the use of apocryphal works:

The Roman Catholic response to Waldensians

The members of the group were declared schismatics in 1184 in France and heretics more widely in 1215 by the Fourth Council of the Lateran's anathema. The rejection by the Church radicalized the movement; in terms of ideology the Waldensians became more obviously anti-Catholic - rejecting the authority of the clergy, declaring any oath to be a sin, claiming anyone could preach and that the Bible alone was all that was needed for salvation, and rejecting the concept of purgatory and the idea of relics and icons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensianshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensianshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensianshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensianshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensianshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldensians

What is this evidence of? :confused:

*Paul* said:
Of course I only said IF that is so, but that is not exactly my belief though it wouldn't be a disaster for me to come to that conclusion. I have the same canon as the Waldensians which predate the reformers :

So you accept your canon on the basis of Walden?

The Walden thing is a great bit of revisionist history. Here is a resource that you might be interested in:

http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/num3.htm

WALDENSES BEFORE WALDO : Do They Exist?
Although there is unanimous agreement among reputable scholars that the Waldenses originated with the work of Waldo, and despite the fact that modern Waldense historians themselves concur with this opinion, successionists of various affiliations have inducted them into the line of "true" churches which have maintained Gospel purity since New Testament times. As one might expect, the Waldenses have been claimed as Baptists (and Plymouth Brethren by E.H. Broadbent, and Seventh-day Adventists by Ellen G. White, and others).
Those who attempt to establish a pedigree for the Waldenses anterior to Waldo himself often refer to the work of Sir Samuel Morland, a 17th-century English author and diplomat who claimed to have found evidence that verifies the great antiquity of the sect. [4] Morland reproduced documents supposedly from the year 1120, which, he said, show that the Waldenses (French, -Vaudois-) had the scriptures for about forty years prior to the translation that Waldo obtained.
The documents in question, however, show the Bible divided into chapters, and such divisions did not appear before about 1250 or later. [5] The confession of faith produced by Morland makes it appear that the Waldenses held to a strongly Protestant-evangelical theology centuries before Luther. It is now known that this document originated in the 16th century. It contains teachings of Martin Bucer, reformer of Strasbourg, copied almost verbatim. [6]
Despite their usual aversion to Roman Catholic sources, successionists have not hesitated to cite a remark by Reinerius Saccho that the Waldenses movement is ancient,
"for some SAY that it has existed from the time of Sylvester, some from the time of the apostles."
It is clear, however, that Reinerius intended only to report a belief held mistakenly by some people. The inquisitor did not accept the legend of Waldense antiquity himself. [7]
No evidence has been found which reveals a Waldense Church prior to Waldo, and neither Waldo himself nor modern Waldense historians ever asserted such claims. Scholars hostile to the Roman Catholic Church have concurred with historians of that body in affirming Waldo as founder of the sect that still bears his name. [8]
A fitting commentary on the pursuit of pedigree has been provided by Harold S. Bender, a leading Mennonite scholar of the 20th century:
"The tempting and romantic theory of apostolic succession from the apostles down to the Anabaptists through successive Old Evangelical groups, which has been very popular with those among the Mennonites and Baptists who feel the need of such an apostolic succession, always includes the Waldenses as the last link before the Anabaptists. It has...no basis in fact." [9]
As in the case of other medieval sects, the primary documents for a study of the Waldenses come mainly from Roman Catholic sources.
[ PP : These include the work of Stephen de Bourbon, a Dominican who was well acquainted with the Waldenses; Reinerius Saccho and his -Summa- is an important source; an anonymous author from Passau also contributed material to Saccho's original work; David of Augsburg, a Franciscan, wrote -Tractatus de Inquisitione Haereticorum- (1270); and Walter Map, an English monk involved in the Third Lateran Council who examined the Waldenses in Rome (1179). ]
All of these sources as well as those of a later date agree in identifying Waldo as founder of the church which now carries his name, and the confession of Waldo himself contains no suggestions that the sect antedated his ministry. [10]
The evidence is conclusive. Waldo was the founder, and "traditions of an earlier origin, stretching back even to the days of the apostles, are fables." [11]
[ PP : At this point I wanted to quote something from Hunt's A Woman Rides the Beast (Harvest House, 1994) since McGoldrick answered these claims of Samuel Morland above on the Waldenses. Hunt repeatedly mixes up the views of the Albigenses (who were Manichees, also called the "Cathari") and the Waldenses (Vaudois or Valdenses). They were completely separate sects. The "Vaudois" was simply the French name for the Waldenses.
"In 1838 George Stanley Faber wrote An Inquiry into the History and Theology of the Ancient Valdenses and Albigenses. Nearly 200 years earlier, in 1648, Samuel Morland had published his History of the Evangelical Churches of Piedmont (an area in France populated by the Albigenses and other 'heretics.') The investigation of both of these authors drew on a number of other works going back into the 13th century. From written and public testimony at their trials, it is quite clear that the Vaudois, Albigenses, Waldenses, and other similar groups were heretics to Rome only. In fact, their beliefs were much like those of the Reformers, of whom they were, in a sense, the forerunners." (Hunt, page 257, emphasis mine)
Furthermore, Mick James, an anti-Catholic Baptist of FidoNet, wrote to me via the Internet on 2/21/97 :
"Another book I just got done reading is called The Waldenses Were Independent Baptists. This book quotes a lot from 2 books by ANGLICAN HISTORIANS from the 17th century who wrote extensively on these groups from the Valleys of Piedmont. Both of these works prove that groups like the Waldenses were baptistic in their doctrine."
Now let's get the facts on the table concerning the Waldenses that answer these wild speculations of Hunt and others.]...

*Paul* said:
Of course I only said IF that is so, but that is not exactly my belief though it wouldn't be a disaster for me to come to that conclusion.

So what is your belief? I feel as if we are back to the first question again, so I might as well ask it again.

Why do you think the books that are in your Bible are in your Bible? (since what you responded is not exactly your belief)

Scuba Pete said:

The angst is more frustration that you would use Google's results as a way of telling me what the Church teaches when there is plenty of more reliable information to go off of (such as the Catechism). It is not a reliable source for a discussion like this.

Scuab Pete said:

I have nothing but agreement with that quote. I don't know what or if you are trying to prove something, but I certainly have nothing to disagree with .

Scuba Pete

quietlight said:
I have nothing but agreement with that quote. I don't know what or if you are trying to prove something, but I certainly have nothing to disagree with .
For that matter, I have nothing against that quote, except that it is man made. Still, as I noted in a following post, it seems that the catechism at least in part supports sola scriptura. Am I missing something here?

As for Google, it is what it is. Perhaps it shows nothing but the perceptions that many have. Perhaps it is completely useless. Either way, it's probably something to research to see WHY it is so.

Scuba Pete said:
For that matter, I have nothing against that quote, except that it is man made. Still, as I noted in a following post, it seems that the catechism at least in part supports sola scriptura. Am I missing something here?

I would say so - you are taking one line out of the entire catechism and saying that this is what the church teaches. I would say that the line you presented is an excellent reference for how we are to live our lives and how we are to conform to the New Law. In relation to Divine Revelation, you might want to look at this page: http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a2.htm

Scuba Pete said:
As for Google, it is what it is. Perhaps it shows nothing but the perceptions that many have. Perhaps it is completely useless. Either way, it's probably something to research to see WHY it is so.

I would go along the lines of it is completely useless in a discussion like this. Because Google ranks 10 sites who believe that the pope is the head of the church (and possibly are saying so in the wrong context). If I ask google 'what should I do today', should I really visit Aland? Should I even look into it? Of course not.

As far as why it is so, I already said I do a lot with search engines. The reason this is so in this case is that it is a popular misconception about the Church. Google doesn't try to answer the question properly, they are there to simply represent the results which appear to be most relevant to your query, which in this case will naturally side with a popular misconception. If you want, I can give you all sorts of resources on the search engines through PM - I've been involved with them for over 5 years.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
quietlight said:
*Paul* said:
So you accept your canon on the basis of Walden?
I was simply showing that my canon is not a product of protestantism.

The Walden thing is a great bit of revisionist history.
Well I disagree, and i cannot trust a catholic source to the contrary seeing as it was them who were their persecutors.
Here is a resource that you might be interested in:
http://www.bringyou.to/apologetics/num3.htm
Thanks for the link, i'll enjoy exploring that site,

In the Alpine valleys of piedmont there had been for centuries congregations of believers calling themselves brethren, who came later to be widely known as Waldenses, or Vaudois, though they did not accept the name. They traced their origin in those parts back to the apostolic times. Like many of the so - called Cathar, Paulician, and other churches, these were not "reformed", never having degenerated from the new testament pattern as had the Roman, Greek and others, but having always maintained, in varying degree, the apostolic tradition. From the time of constantine there had continued to be a succession of those who preached the gospel and founded churches, uninfluenced by the relations between church and state existing at that time. This accounts for the large bodies of Christians, well established in the scriptures and free from idolatry and other evils prevailing in the dominant, professing church, to be found in the taurus mountains and the Alpine valleys.
These latter, in the quiet seclusion of their mountains, had remained unaffected by the development of the Roman Church. They considered the scriptures, both for doctrine and church order, to be binding for their time, and not rendered obsolete by change of circumstances. It was said of them that their whole manner of thought and action was an endevour to hold fast the character of original christianity. One mark of their not being "reformers" is to be obserevd in their comparative tolerance of the Roman Catholic Church, a reformer almost inevitably emphasizing the evil of that from which he has seperated, in order to justify his action. In their dealings with contemoraries who seceded from the church of rome, as well as later negotiations witht he reformers of the Reformation, this acknowledgmemnt of what was good in the church that persecuted them is repeatadly seen.
To Francis the 1st of France they said (1544) "this confession is that which we have recieevd from our ancestors, even from hand to hand, according as their predecessors in all time and in every age have taught and delivered" A few years later, to the prince of savoy they said "LEt your highness consider, that this religion in which we live is not merely our religion of the present day, or a religion discovered for the first time only a few years ago, as our enemies falsley pretend, but it is the religion of our fathers and of our grandfathers, yea, of our forefathers and of our predecessors still more remote. It is the religion of the Saints and of the MArtyrs, of the Confessors and of the Apostles.
When they came into contact with the reformers in the sixteenth century, they said "Our ancestors have often recounted to us that we have existed from the time of the Apostles. In all matters nevertheless we agree with you, and thinking as you think, from the very days of the Apostles themselves, we have ever been consistent respecting the faith".
On the return of the Vaudois to their valleys, their leader, Henri Arnold, in 1689 said," That their religion is a sprimitive as their name is venerable is attested even by their adversaries," and then quotes Reinarius the inquisitor who, in a report made by him to the pope on the subject of their faith, admits, "they have existed from time immemorial." "It would not," Arnold continues, "be difficult to prove that this poor band of the faithful were in the valleys of Piedmont more than four centuries before the appearance of those extraordinary personages,Luther and Calvin and the subsequent lights of the reformation. Neither has their church ever been reformed, whence arises the title evangelic. The Vaudois are in fact descended from those refugees from Italy, who, after St. PAul had there preached the gosple, abandoned their beautiful country and fled, like the woman mentioned in the apocalypse, to these wild mountains, where they have to this day handed down the gospel, from father to son, in the same purity and simplicity as it was preached by St.Paul"

The pilgrim Church by E.H Broadbent 1931

About the author:
Much of the history of faith and persecution the author uncovered in his wide travels was the precious posesion of believers to whom it was handed down from generation to generation by the descendants of those who remained true to CHrist in times when popes still controlled the known world. Broadbent has searched out the information and preserved it in this valuable volume. He did not write merely on the basis of historical library research, though he did a great deal of that; he write also from a very wide and practicle experience. He was fluent in French and German and had some knowledge of russian; and his zeal to preach the gospel took him throughout europe, the baltics and russia and as far east as turkestan and Uzbekistan, into turkey, egypt and north and south america.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Victor said:
What is this evidence of? :confused:
In my opinion they would have had a hard time rejecting those doctrines if they had a canon which included the apocryphal works usually cited in support of them.

Scuba Pete

quietlight said:
I would say so - you are taking one line out of the entire catechism and saying that this is what the church teaches.
That's exactly what I DIDN'T say. But I do find the approach quite similar to sola scripturists.

quietlight said:
I would say that the line you presented is an excellent reference for how we are to live our lives and how we are to conform to the New Law. In relation to Divine Revelation, you might want to look at this page: http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p1s1c2a2.htm
This is where we part company:

85 "The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."47 This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome. Roman Catholic Catechism

That flies in the face of Jesus being our High Priest and the Spirit being our guide. Yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me.

I would go along the lines of it is completely useless in a discussion like this. Because Google ranks 10 sites who believe that the pope is the head of the church (and possibly are saying so in the wrong context). If I ask google 'what should I do today', should I really visit Aland? Should I even look into it? Of course not.

As far as why it is so, I already said I do a lot with search engines. The reason this is so in this case is that it is a popular misconception about the Church. Google doesn't try to answer the question properly, they are there to simply represent the results which appear to be most relevant to your query, which in this case will naturally side with a popular misconception. If you want, I can give you all sorts of resources on the search engines through PM - I've been involved with them for over 5 years.[/quote]

*Paul* said:
I was simply showing that my canon is not a product of protestantism...Well I disagree, and i cannot trust a catholic source to the contrary seeing as it was them who were their persecutors.

And I should accept a protestant source who is trying to find some link to the original apostles? We both have to be willing to explore the possibility that one source is not telling the truth - both sources cannot be correct. Either Catholic historians are being revisionists, or protestant historians are...

I will admit I am not very familiar with Walden except for a little reading here and there, but my impression is that he never actually made the claim to be taking the canon down from tradition - this was the claim of protestant historians years later. Again, my research on this is very cursory, so feel free to correct me on that.

The link I provided, although I haven't read it in its entirety (hope to do so tonight), provides quotes from more than just Catholic sources which simply discredit the notion that Walden got the canon from a pre-existing tradition. Rather, Walden dropped the 7 books in much of the same way that protestants would later on so they wouldn't have to accept certain teachings of the Church (such as purgatory which was the source of one of their main protests - paying for indulgences).

But that is actually neither here nor there for this conversation. Let's assume for the sake of making progress in this discussion (and not getting sidetracked on picking apart the truth on Walden) that his canon actually does extend as far as the claims say it does (regardless of lack of historical evidence to show this).

The very fact that you are accepting the canon, or at least initially accepted the canon, because you were told that these were the books of the Bible seems to be a type of Tradition - does it not?

*Paul* said:
In my opinion they would have had a hard time rejecting those doctrines if they had a canon which included the apocryphal works usually cited in support of them.

Actually, there are plenty of scriptural evidence outside of the apocrypha for beliefs such as purgatory. But I digress. :sorry1:

Scuba Pete said:
That's exactly what I DIDN'T say. But I do find the approach quite similar to sola scripturists.

This is where we part company:

85 "The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."47 This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome. Roman Catholic Catechism

That flies in the face of Jesus being our High Priest and the Spirit being our guide. Yeah, that would be a deal breaker for me.

Well maybe in a more appropriate thread we can discuss the role of the Bishops, Apostolic succession, and the fact that Jesus appointed his Apostles to build a church.

*Paul* said:
Well I disagree, and i cannot trust a catholic source to the contrary seeing as it was them who were their persecutors.

Oh, and on closer look you'll find that the link is not from a Catholic source, but rather a Baptist historian who shows the problems with the idea that what Waldo used predated his time.

And Waldo's confessions also are not really his, they are Martin Bucers (almost verbatim) according to the text that I referred you to.

Quiddity

*Paul* said:
Who do you think your kidding Paul?

It's intriguing how one can manage to slither their way through history and call it man made while ignoring the very book they hold in their hands was assembled by men in the Council of Carthage. Men that clearly believed in catholic stuff..;) . Even better, ignoring that they themselves are men. Everything but their own fuzzy feelings is man-made. :areyoucra

You can say that until you turn blue in the face but in the end I have little hope your stance holds any water in the dialogue arena.....toodles. :)