• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible Denies the Divinity of Jesus

ccdnn

Jesus is not a GOD:

Buddha was a reformer who introduced a number of humanistic principles to the religion of India. He did not claim to be God nor did he suggest to his followers that he be an object of worship. Yet, today most Buddhists who are to be found outside of India have taken him to be God and prostrate to idols made in their perception of his likeness.
God revealed a holy book to Jesus called the Injeel, some parts of which may be still available in the teachings of God to Jesus in the New Testament. But this does not mean that the Bible we have today because it is not the original scriptures that were revealed by God. They underwent alterations, additions, and omissions. This was also said by the Committee charged with revising The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Version). This Committee consisted of thirty-two scholars who served as members of the Committee. They secured the review and counsel of an Advisory Board of fifty representatives of the co-operating denominations.
The Committee said in the Preface to The Holy Bible (Revised Standard Version), p. iv, “Sometimes it is evident that the text has suffered in transmission, but none of the versions provides a satisfactory restoration. Here we can only follow the best judgment of competent scholars as to the most probable reconstruction of the original text.

The Committee also said in the Preface, p. vii, Notes are added which indicate significant variations, additions, or omissions in the ancient authorities (Mt 9.34; Mk 3.16; 7.4; Lk 24.32, 51, etc.).
Christians take their information about Jesus from the Bible, which includes the Old and New Testaments. These contain four biblical narratives covering the life and death of Jesus. They have been written, according to tradition, respectively by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are placed at the beginning of the New Testament and comprise close to half of it.
Encyclopedia Britannica notes that "none of the sources of his life and work can be traced to Jesus himself; he did not leave a single known written word. Also, there are no contemporary accounts written of his life and death. What can be established about the historical Jesus depends almost without exception on Christian traditions, especially on the material used in the composition of the Gospels of Mark, Matthew, and Luke, which reflect the outlook of the later church and its faith in Jesus.

The Bible - A Closer Look!
islamtomorrow

Who Was Jesus According to Jesus?
islaminfo

IS THE BIBLE GODS WORD?
jamaat.net/bible

The Islamic and Christian views of Jesus: a comparison
soundvision

THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS
sultan.org

Christ in Islam
home2 swipnet se

Mary & Jesus in Quran
islamworld net

None of the Bible’s Writers Believed That Jesus is God
islam-guide

savethedreams

Jesus is not god, he just a good man.

Christianity religion is based on going against its own doctrine and justifying it, and created more denominations then there are people that are in the huge religion cult. Christianity is a religion and not a lifestyle.

ccdnn

I think Christianity is not a lifestyle; it’s just a quick Sunday morning church visit and a label.
Although some Christians do pray before each meal and spend much time with their Bible, many don’t in the West, so to say Christianity is life style, it can't be shunted into a few spare hours, your daily life should be effected; even your food choices are explained in the book etc.

When you feel actively involved and as if you are truly religious, then this is a lifestyle.

ccdnn

The followers of Jesus split up into two sects immediately after the disappearance of Jesus, and one of them eventually eliminated the other. The sect that prevailed followed St Paul, who ingeniously over-ruled many of the fundamental teachings of Jesus. As a result, we have Christianity which preaches Trinity, Original Sin, and Atonement through the suffering and crucifixion of God’s Only Begotten Son etc.

I think both Judaism and Christianity are not now the Original Religion taught by their prophets. But at the same time, there are many beliefs and traits of the Original Religion of God still existing in those two religions; however, even if the title "son of God" was used by Jesus himself one should remember the following points:
1. As a biblical scholar said, "Semitic usage would never have allowed literal sense even though such an expression would be interpreted literally in the Hellenistic world of Jesus followers".
2.The New Testament Greek words used for "son" are pias and paida, which means 'servant' or 'son in the sense of servant, are translated son in reference to Jesus and servant in reference to others in some translations of the Bible (Mufassir, P. 15).

3. The title "son of man" which is a self-designation of Jesus and occurs 81 times in the gospels is the clearest description and emphasis by Jesus on his humanity. The classical interpretation given to this title is that it is used to emphasize the human side of Jesus. Now the question which suggests itself is: Do contemporary Christians emphasize this aspect of Jesus?
Now, as a total contrast we turn to Christianity a religion built not around God, or His book for there was no 'book’ until 150 years after Jesus' death. Christianity became built around the personality of Jesus himself. By laying more and more stress upon the magnetic and wonderful personality of Jesus and unable and un-willing to describe the Prophet's effect upon all who came to him in everyday terms more and more attributes are added to his reputation a man who could perform miracles, bring back the dead to life, heal the leper, cure the blind all by God’s will, is indeed a wonderful man blessed by God born by God’s will to do His service. But after his death, the 'magical' personality must be kept alive and 'Son of God' appears to suitably qualify all his actions.
Living in a society, strongly flavored by the Greco-Roman gods, all 'super human,' the educated early Christians must surely also have been influenced in thought by their surroundings. Paul himself, one of the great teachers of Christianity, was a Hellenized Jew, who never saw or met Jesus during his lifetime. Yet many of his reported sayings show the influence of the times in which he lived. 'The Living Lord' was very real to him.

The miraculous nature of Jesus' birth also could help to give credence to the idea of Jesus identity as son of God. But it is child-like in its 1 + 1 = 2 type philosophy, i.e., God blew into the womb of Mary had Jesus, therefore God is Jesus' father and Jesus is His son.
What Christians fail to see, and to understand is that in Jesus' birth and conception we see a touching and wonderful revelation of the Kindness of God.

I will repeat what I mentioned before, both the Bible and the Quran, because, both the Bible and the Quran teach that Jesus is not God.

It is clear enough to everyone that the Quran denies the divinity of Jesus, so we do not need to spend much time explaining that.

On the other hand, many people misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. This article shows quite conclusively that the Bible does not teach that.

The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.
Some will say that something Jesus said or something he did while on the earth proves that he is God. We will show that the disciples never came to the conclusion that Jesus is God. And those are people who lived and walked with Jesus and thus knew first hand what he said and did.

Furthermore, we are told in the Acts of the Apostles in the Bible that the disciples were being guided by the Holy Spirit. If Jesus is God, surely they should know it. But they did not. They kept worshipping the one true God who was worshipped by Abraham, Moses, and Jesus (see Acts 3:13).
All of the writers of the Bible believed that God was not Jesus. The idea that Jesus is God did not become part of Christian belief until after the Bible was written, and took many centuries to become part of the faith of Christians.

Matthew, Mark, and Luke, authors of the first three Gospels, believed that Jesus was not God (see Mark 10:18 and Matthew 19:17). They believed that he was the son of God in the sense of a righteous person. Many others too, are similarly called sons of God (see Matthew 23:1-9).
Paul, believed to be the author of some thirteen or fourteen letters in the Bible, also believed that Jesus is not God. For Paul, God first created Jesus, then used Jesus as the agent by which to create the rest of creation (see Colossians 1:15 and 1 Corinthians 8:6). Similar ideas are found in the letter to the Hebrews, and also in the Gospel and Letters of John composed some seventy years after Jesus. In all of these writings, however, Jesus is still a creature of God and is therefore forever subservient to God (see 1 Corinthians 15:28).

Now, because Paul, John, and the author of Hebrews believed that Jesus was God’s first creature, some of what they wrote clearly shows that Jesus was a pre-existent powerful being. This is often misunderstood to mean that he must have been God. But to say that Jesus was God is to go against what these very authors wrote. Although these authors had this later belief that Jesus is greater than all creatures, they also believed that he was still lesser than God. In fact, John quotes Jesus as saying: “...the Father is greater than I.” (John 14:28). And Paul declares that the head of every woman is her husband, the head of every man is Christ, and the head of Christ is God (see 1 Corinthians 11:3).

Therefore, to find something in these writings and claim that these teach that Jesus is God is to misuse and misquote what those authors are saying. What they wrote must be understood in the context of their belief that Jesus is a creature of God as they have already clearly said.

So we see then, that some of the later writers had a higher view of Jesus, but none of the writers of the Bible believed that Jesus is God. The Bible clearly teaches that there is only one true God, the one whom Jesus worshipped (see John 17: 3).

lockyfan

The followers of Jesus split up into two sects immediately after the disappearance of Jesus, and one of them eventually eliminated the other. The sect that prevailed followed St Paul, who ingeniously over-ruled many of the fundamental teachings of Jesus. As a result, we have Christianity which preaches Trinity, Original Sin, and Atonement through the suffering and crucifixion of God’s Only Begotten Son etc.

They did not follow any of these so called "saints". THe "saints " as are called in some religions are not actually saints but Peter was an Apostle. He did not "break away" false teachings came into the early christian congregation and spread.
2 Thess 1:3-5. Talks about the Apostacy.

It was the false prophets who infultrated the congregations of that day Matt 7:15. Then the religiopus leaders of the day and the politicians of the day want more people to follow them.

lockyfan

Christianity religion is based on going against its own doctrine and justifying it, and created more denominations then there are people that are in the huge religion cult. Christianity is a religion and not a lifestyle.

Dont lump all Christian demoniations into one. There are some religions that make it all about your lifestyle. Jehovahs Witnesses are one. They are about keeping God's Law and following the principles that Jehovah God has set out in the bible. Sure there are some people within us that do the wrong thing, but, that is their choice. Also there would be others who take their dedication to God seriously.

lockyfan

I think Christianity is not a lifestyle; it’s just a quick Sunday morning church visit and a label.

Not for me, I want to live my life with God's approval

Although some Christians do pray before each meal and spend much time with their Bible, many don’t in the West, so to say Christianity is life style, it can't be shunted into a few spare hours, your daily life should be effected; even your food choices are explained in the book etc.

When you feel actively involved and as if you are truly religious, then this is a lifestyle.

That is very true on some levels. There are great Principles such as Full Time Dedication to Jehovah God which includes Daily Prayer, Studying the bible to get to know Him better, the ministry, etc. These are all important things in a true Christians life. They can not be replaced by anything. Then it is more than a lifestyle, it is your entire life. all things revolve around your servie to God, not your service to God revolving around your life

blueman

God's Warrior
Christianity is a relationship with God through the person of Jesus Christ. The Bible did not suffer distortion through translation and time, it's core doctrine remains intact to this day and reflects the early beliefs of Christians in the 1st century. The historical record of Jesus Christ is depicted by not only the sypnoptic Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but the epistles of Paul, many of those epistles were written within a 10-15 year period after the death and resurrection of Christ. You never even cited secular sources that reference the historical Jesus and early christianity such as Josephus, Tacitus, Lucian, Pliny and many more. There are over a dozen secular sources that validate early Christianity and the footprint of Jesus's life, miracles, death and the spread of Christianity.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
savethedreams said:
According to Christian scripture that latter makes Him the former.

ccdnn said:
Indeed, there are Christians who are culturally christian as opposed to religiously so... but that does not change anything for those of us who are religious.

Indeed.

The followers of Jesus split up into two sects immediately after the disappearance of Jesus
I believe it was more than two.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Christianity is a relationship with God through the person of Jesus Christ. The Bible did not suffer distortion through translation and time, it's core doctrine remains intact to this day and reflects the early beliefs of Christians in the 1st century. The historical record of Jesus Christ is depicted by not only the sypnoptic Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but the epistles of Paul, many of those epistles were written within a 10-15 year period after the death and resurrection of Christ. You never even cited secular sources that reference the historical Jesus and early christianity such as Josephus, Tacitus, Lucian, Pliny and many more. There are over a dozen secular sources that validate early Christianity and the footprint of Jesus's life, miracles, death and the spread of Christianity.
2 of the gospels don't mention jesus "virgin" birth. Wouldn't you think that would be important since that was the distinct reason he was crowned the messiah?

blueman

God's Warrior
2 of the gospels don't mention jesus "virgin" birth. Wouldn't you think that would be important since that was the distinct reason he was crowned the messiah?
I think that is such a weak argument. These were independent sources of the historical record, not to mention a very robust oral tradition. By two of the Gospels not making reference to a virgin birth does not invalidate the fact that the oral tradition and what people believed about Jesus being born of a virgin was not well known throughout the region.

ccdnn

blueman,
You can read Singer "Cat Stevens" comments:
"I was brought up in the modern world of all the luxury and the high life of show business. I was born in a Christian home, but we know that every child is born in his original nature - it is only his parents that turn him to this or that religion. I was given this religion (Christianity) and thought this way. I was taught that God exists, but there was no direct contact with God, so we had to make contact with Him through Jesus - he was in fact the door to God. This was more or less accepted by me, but I did not swallow it all.

I looked at some of the statues of Jesus; they were just stones with no life. And when they said that God is three, I was puzzled even more but could not argue. I more or less believed it, because I had to have respect for the faith of my parents.

POP STAR

Gradually I became alienated from this religious upbringing. I started making music. I wanted to be a big star. All those things I saw in the films and on the media took hold of me, and perhaps I thought this was my God, the goal of making money. I had an uncle who had a beautiful car. "Well," I said, "he has it made. He has a lot of money." The people around me influenced me to think that this was it; this world was their God."

People misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.

savethedreams

blueman,
"I was brought up in the modern world of all the luxury and the high life of show business. I was born in a Christian home, but we know that every child is born in his original nature - it is only his parents that turn him to this or that religion. I was given this religion (Christianity) and thought this way. I was taught that God exists, but there was no direct contact with God, so we had to make contact with Him through Jesus - he was in fact the door to God. This was more or less accepted by me, but I did not swallow it all.

I looked at some of the statues of Jesus; they were just stones with no life. And when they said that God is three, I was puzzled even more but could not argue. I more or less believed it, because I had to have respect for the faith of my parents.

POP STAR

Gradually I became alienated from this religious upbringing. I started making music. I wanted to be a big star. All those things I saw in the films and on the media took hold of me, and perhaps I thought this was my God, the goal of making money. I had an uncle who had a beautiful car. "Well," I said, "he has it made. He has a lot of money." The people around me influenced me to think that this was it; this world was their God."

People misunderstand the Bible; they feel that the belief in Jesus as God is so widespread that it must have come from the Bible. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus is not God. In the Bible God is always someone else other than Jesus.

Cat stevens converted to Islam and now recites a heartfelt prayer the same one everyday ......... rest of his life. He not a christian.

lockyfan

blueman,

POP STAR

That is so true. The bible teaches the Jesus is God's Son. In some translations John 1:1 it states that Jesus is God, but in other translation it is rendered A god.

The word God is not a name. It is merely a role. It is not meant to be the name, but it means that they are Kings or Rulers. It is a title nothing more.

Jesus ever calls the wicked one as the god of this system of things. meaning that satan too is a god. but not in the manner of Almighty God Jehovah or his Mighty God of a son called Jesus or Michael the Archangel as his name is in heaven.

1 John 5:19, Ephesians 4:4, Isaiah 9:6, 2 Thess 2:1

Cat stevens converted to Islam and now recites a heartfelt prayer the same one everyday ......... rest of his life. He not a christian.

Matthew 6:7 tells us not to pray the same words each day. OS i know that He is now part of the Islaminc faith, however having seen for himself that the "christian" religion he was in and telling him Christ is part of a Trinity when that is NOT true then I would have thought he would have looked into it more carefully

Anyway I would rather believe what the bible says then what a man says

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus is not a GOD:

The Bible - A Closer Look!
islamtomorrow

Who Was Jesus According to Jesus?
islaminfo

IS THE BIBLE GODS WORD?
jamaat.net/bible

The Islamic and Christian views of Jesus: a comparison
soundvision

THE TRUTH ABOUT JESUS
sultan.org

Christ in Islam
home2 swipnet se

Mary & Jesus in Quran
islamworld net

None of the Bible’s Writers Believed That Jesus is God
islam-guide

Anyone listening to an Islamic view of the Bible is following a blind guide.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think that is such a weak argument. These were independent sources of the historical record, not to mention a very robust oral tradition. By two of the Gospels not making reference to a virgin birth does not invalidate the fact that the oral tradition and what people believed about Jesus being born of a virgin was not well known throughout the region.
Really?
There are "independent sources" (meaning not from the writings the Bible is loosely based upon) for the virgin birth of Jesus?
Would you please present one or two?
Thank you.

astarath

Mesetemia I think what he is saying is that the two Gospel accounts that do not contain the Nativity story do not invalidate the two that do.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Mesetemia I think what he is saying is that the two Gospel accounts that do not contain the Nativity story do not invalidate the two that do.

Had he left it at just the fact that the virgin birth not being in two of the accounts does not invalidate the two accounts it is mentioned in, I would have left it alone.
However, he claims there are "independent sources" for the virgin birth.
now since I have never seen any, I asked for one or two of them to be presented.

Last edited by a moderator:

astarath

I disagree completely then. I have never seen an extrabiblical source chronicling the virign birth.