• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Bible, homosexuality, and semantics

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
According to Paul, and many following theologians wisdom (mans wisdom) is useless. Though correct me if im wrong
But Paul's "humanity's wisdom" isn't quite the same concept of Wisdom that was present in the creation myth. I think it's a mistake to conflate the two.

That being said, Wisdom (the serpent) did trick humanity into falling from grace, yes? It also enabled humanity to come to maturity -- to a state of culpability.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Sojourner said:
That being said, even if the symbolism is as you posit here, what is inherently "evil" about death? It's part of the natural order.
I certainly don't like death, and in Genesis which is what we are discussing death is either a punishment or a negative result. The Adam and the Eve are supposed to eat from the tree of life forever, but instead they don't.

This brings us back to the related question of how could a Bible that is divinely inspired have errors. We say God is good, yet obviously Genesis says God made the serpent. How can we call God good if God makes bad things? It defies logic, and so logic cannot be applied. Therefore Genesis is not appropriate for perfectly logical study. You can call it perfect, but you cannot study it perfectly. You cannot 'Study' it logically, because logically it is imperfect.

Last edited:

FranklinMichaelV.3

But Paul's "humanity's wisdom" isn't quite the same concept of Wisdom that was present in the creation myth. I think it's a mistake to conflate the two.

That being said, Wisdom (the serpent) did trick humanity into falling from grace, yes? It also enabled humanity to come to maturity -- to a state of culpability.

The situation is kinda weird. The Creation Myth makes the claim that our creation was in the Image of God and whomever God was also speaking too, yet we still lacked the ability to discern between good and evil. Is that not part of image?

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation

You state creation as myth. Are not a creationist?

God created the snake which betrayed human kind. Being all knowing he would be able to see all events to come. Therefore he knew that the snake would tempt adam and eve. He knew that they would eat the apple. Then he proceeded to condemn humanity for actions he was already aware. More like God feel from grace and is more likely a b* girlfriend I used to have or he is evil and doesn't give a f*.

captainbryce

How is Satan the "first sinner?" Satan doesn't even appear in the creation narratives.
The creation narratives mostly concern the creation of Earth and the earthly beings (human beings and animals), as opposed to heaven and heavenly beings (angels). There are non-canonical texts (Apocrypha) that describe the nature and specific roles and histories of angels in more detail. But heaven is not the focus of the creation narratives in the canonical texts. However, from the few places in scripture where heavenly beings are discussed, it's clear that the fall of the angels occurred before the fall of man. Most Christians believe that Satan was also Lucifer, The King of Tyre and the serpent in the Garden of Eden because the description of all of them in various texts is nearly identical.

Ezekiel 28:13-17
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God. Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—
all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created.
14 I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire.
15 “You were blameless in all you did from the day you were created until the day evil was found in you.
16 Your rich commerce led you to violence, and you sinned. So I banished you in disgrace from the mountain of God. I expelled you, O mighty guardian, from your place among the stones of fire. 17 Your heart was filled with pride because of all your beauty. Your wisdom was corrupted by your love of splendor. So I threw you to the ground and exposed you to the curious gaze of kings.

Isaiah 14:12-15
12 “How you are fallen from heaven, O shining star, son of the morning!
You have been thrown down to the earth, you who destroyed the nations of the world
13 For you said to yourself, ‘I will ascend to heaven and set my throne above God’s stars. I will preside on the mountain of the gods far away in the north.
14 I will climb to the highest heavens and be like the Most High.’
15 Instead, you will be brought down to the place of the dead, down to its lowest depths.

Revelation 12:8-9
8 And the dragon lost the battle, and he and his angels were forced out of heaven. 9 This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels.

Lucifer is Satan in Isiah 14 & Satan is the King of Tyre in Ezekkiel 28??

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
The creation narratives mostly concern the creation of Earth and the earthly beings (human beings and animals), as opposed to heaven and heavenly beings (angels). There are non-canonical texts (Apocrypha) that describe the nature and specific roles and histories of angels in more detail. But heaven is not the focus of the creation narratives in the canonical texts. However, from the few places in scripture where heavenly beings are discussed, it's clear that the fall of the angels occurred before the fall of man. Most Christians believe that Satan was also Lucifer, The King of Tyre and the serpent in the Garden of Eden because the description of all of them in various texts is nearly identical.

13 You were in Eden, the garden of God. Your clothing was adorned with every precious stone—red carnelian, pale-green peridot, white moonstone, blue-green beryl, onyx, green jasper, blue lapis lazuli, turquoise, and emerald—
all beautifully crafted for you and set in the finest gold. They were given to you on the day you were created.
14 I ordained and anointed you as the mighty angelic guardian. You had access to the holy mountain of God and walked among the stones of fire.
15 “You were blameless in all you did from the day you were created until the day evil was found in you.
16 Your rich commerce led you to violence, and you sinned. So I banished you in disgrace from the mountain of God. I expelled you, O mighty guardian, from your place among the stones of fire. 17 Your heart was filled with pride because of all your beauty. Your wisdom was corrupted by your love of splendor. So I threw you to the ground and exposed you to the curious gaze of kings.

You have been thrown down to the earth, you who destroyed the nations of the world.
13 For you said to yourself, ‘I will ascend to heaven and set my throne above God’s stars. I will preside on the mountain of the gods far away in the north.
15 Instead, you will be brought down to the place of the dead, down to its lowest depths.

8 And the dragon lost the battle, and he and his angels were forced out of heaven. 9 This great dragon—the ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world—was thrown down to the earth with all his angels.

Again same question to you captain. God created the snake which betrayed human kind. Being all knowing he would be able to see all events to come. Therefore he knew that the snake would tempt adam and eve. He knew that they would eat the apple. Then he proceeded to condemn humanity for actions he was already aware. More like God feel from grace and is more likely a b* girlfriend I used to have or he is evil and doesn't give a f*. If he is all knowing how can he disappointed in humanity when he knows what will happen?

sojourner

in Genesis which is what we are discussing death is either a punishment or a negative result.
Is that so?! Perhaps you'd be so kind as to produce the passage that says, "Death bad!" 'Cause I don't think it's in there. I think that's something that you've concluded based upon something other than Genesis.
The Adam and the Eve are supposed to eat from the tree of life forever, but instead they don't.
Read it again! No, they're not supposed to eat of it.
This brings us back to the related question of how could a Bible that is divinely inspired have errors.
God created us, and we have errors. And (unlike the bible) we're created in God's image.
We say God is good, yet obviously Genesis says God made the serpent. How can we call God good if God makes bad things?
who says the serpent is bad?
Therefore Genesis is not appropriate for perfectly logical study.
Genesis isn't logic, it's myth.
You can call it perfect, but you cannot study it perfectly.
Well... you certainly haven't studied it perfectly...

Perhaps a logical study of Genesis would entail making sure you've all the details correct before you begin to critique it, because the way it stands, you have noooo idea what you're talking about with regard to the creation myths.

sojourner

The situation is kinda weird. The Creation Myth makes the claim that our creation was in the Image of God and whomever God was also speaking too, yet we still lacked the ability to discern between good and evil. Is that not part of image?
Not according the Genesis authors.

sojourner

You state creation as myth. Are not a creationist?
Noooo! Are you kidding?
God created the snake which betrayed human kind. Being all knowing he would be able to see all events to come. Therefore he knew that the snake would tempt adam and eve. He knew that they would eat the apple. Then he proceeded to condemn humanity for actions he was already aware.
Who says anything about condemnation??? God didn't condemn humanity in Genesis! WTF are you talking about!

captainbryce

God created the snake which betrayed human kind. Being all knowing he would be able to see all events to come. Therefore he knew that the snake would tempt adam and eve. He knew that they would eat the apple. Then he proceeded to condemn humanity for actions he was already aware.
This is all true. But it's all part of the bigger picture that you're missing. The fall of man (and angels for that matter) was the natural result of free will, and they were both necessary as a lesson for all humans and angels. Only a third of the angels fell, and those fallen will never be redeemed. All humans are fallen. However, unlike angels who chose to rebel, God chose to redeem all of humanity from that original sin, since we inherited it.

sojourner

You have been thrown down to the earth, you who destroyed the nations of the world.

You're conflating Genesis with what's written elsewhere. Satan doesn't appear in the Genesis myth.

A

angellous_evangellous

He DOES appear in Genesis (as the serpent) as I just pointed out.

Does the word Satan or Lucifer appear in the text?

We know the other characters because they are named: God, Adam, Eve. Saying Satan is the snake is like insisting that the fruit that Eve gave to Adam was a bannana rather than a fig.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that so?! Perhaps you'd be so kind as to produce the passage that says, "Death bad!" 'Cause I don't think it's in there. I think that's something that you've concluded based upon something other than Genesis.

God created us, and we have errors. And (unlike the bible) we're created in God's image.

who says the serpent is bad?

Well... you certainly haven't studied it perfectly...

Perhaps a logical study of Genesis would entail making sure you've all the details correct before you begin to critique it, because the way it stands, you have noooo idea what you're talking about with regard to the creation myths.
Hi Sojourner you ask why I think Genesis puts death as a bad thing:

In the narrative Adam is removed from eden to keep him from eating from the tree of life.(Gen 3:22) and when curses are handed out his is that he will toil until the day he dies and also that he will die (Gen 3:17). The two verses together imply that death is a part of his curse.

They were originally free to eat from all trees in the garden except for one (Gen 2:16-17) That one was called tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil. It was one of two trees in the middle of the garden (Gen 2:9). So they are allowed and encouraged to eat from the tree of life but ordered not to eat from the tree of knowledge, contrary to what you say.

This is similar to what I just posted before. Are you sure you don't have me confused with some other poster?
?? Therefore my argument stands.

Naturally I don't know what I'm talking about. That's why I'm discussing this in a public free forum instead of a religious journal. What's your excuse?

sojourner

He DOES appear in Genesis (as the serpent) as I just pointed out.
No.
1) Nowhere in Genesis is the serpent referred to as "Satan."
2) the concept of Satan is Hellenistic. the Genesis writings are Sumerian in origin.

As I said before, you're conflating the creation myths with other writings. It's not a good practice, because it muddies the exegetical waters.

sojourner

Of course it does! In fact it perfectly meets the dictionary definition of the word: "an expression of strong disapproval; pronouncing as wrong or morally culpable"

:confused:
yes, but that's not what we mean by the use of the word "condemnation," is it! By using "condemnation," we mean that God acts to punish us in some way. But that's not what happens here. This is simply the consequence of our actions.

sojourner

In the narrative Adam is removed from eden to keep him from eating from the tree of life.(Gen 3:22) and when curses are handed out his is that he will toil until the day he dies and also that he will die (Gen 3:17). The two verses together imply that death is a part of his curse.
'K... Where's the part that says "Death bad?"
They were originally free to eat from all trees in the garden except for one (Gen 2:16-17) That one was called tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil. It was one of two trees in the middle of the garden (Gen 2:9). So they are allowed and encouraged to eat from the tree of life but ordered not to eat from the tree of knowledge, contrary to what you say.
Notice that those are the only two trees that are named. They are theologically tied together. The serpent says that eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil will make the man "like God." Herein is a prohibition by God -- setting a boundary that humanity may not cross. Humanity may not blur the line between humanity and divinity. They tried to cross that line. The trees are linked. The text implies that they weren't to eat of the tree of life either, since God says in chap. 3, "and now he might reach out his hand and eat of the fruit of the tree of life also." As if Adam hadn't done that before.
This is similar to what I just posted before. Are you sure you don't have me confused with some other poster?
You're setting up a false argument. You asked:
how could a Bible that is divinely inspired have errors.
My answer: We were divinely inspired and we have errors. In other words, it is possible for something divinely-inspired to contain errors.
Therefore my argument stands.
Your argument doesn't stand. It's a straw man. You want the creation myth to read and follow like a science text or a mathematical equation.i won't do that, because it's myth. you have to read it and study it from that standpoint. you don't get to make it into something it isn't, and then study it that way and conclude "it doesn't make any sense."
Naturally I don't know what I'm talking about. That's why I'm discussing this in a public free forum instead of a religious journal. What's your excuse?
Even in a public forum, your argument should still make sense. Even in a public forum, you should have some idea of what you're talking about before you purport to critique something.