• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The bible is a poor source for moral guidance

According to Christianity, there is only one god, he is perfect, and bible morality is absolute. In fact, it is literally carved in stone. The problem with this is that we have one god setting out laws in the Old Testament for one group of people in one time, yet the same god setting out a different set of laws in the New Testament for a different people in a different time.

Which is true and correct ? It seems gods laws are relative, and change with the times.

God says "thou shalt not kill", yet he sets out to kill men, women, children, unborn babies, and even animals. Also, he commands us to kill our family if they worship other gods. Well, ? What is it ? Is killing bad or is it sometimes justified ? Is killing's sinful nature absolute or does it depend on the circumstances ?

According to genesis, the entire world was populated by just one man and one woman. How could that possibly happen without some serious incest going on and "god only knows" what other sexual situations must have happened.

A casual read of the bible leaves one with the impression that god has no problem with polygamy or slavery. Neither made his top ten list of thou shalt not's.

In the bible, god resorts to murder, rape, and eternal torture to punish those who have displeased him for various reasons. In the 2 Samuel story, god has a woman raped in public to punish her husband who has angered him. Is it moral to punish someone for the actions of another person ?

Likewise, The Adam and Eve story tells us that all future generations who did not commit the original "sin" must be punished for the "sin" of two people from the distant past. Is that just ?

On the other hand, the Jesus story tells us that the sins of the guilty may be absolved by punishing the innocent. So the message is, "you are guilty of a sin ?, no problem, we will punish someone else and that will take care of it". Are these really the lessons of morality to teach our children?

The fact is, there is more moral relativism in the bible than in secular society.

So, what morality does the bible provide that cannot be achieved without it ?

newone

Hi, I am sorry you feel this way. Can you maybe give some scriptural "proof" of your claims. Not sure if I will be able to help but I would love to examine your evidence.

Hi, I am sorry you feel this way. Can you maybe give some scriptural "proof" of your claims. Not sure if I will be able to help but I would love to examine your evidence.

Let's start with the jesus story. It says the sins of the guilty (all humanity) can be absolved by punishing the innocent (Jesus). Is that moral ?

InChrist

Free4ever
Let's start with the jesus story. It says the sins of the guilty (all humanity) can be absolved by punishing the innocent (Jesus). Is that moral ?
It would not be moral were Jesus simply a human being, but it is moral to the point of demonstrating sacrificial love , because Jesus is GOD the Creator who chose to come in the flesh and take upon Himself the sins of the world to redeem fallen humanity.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It would not be moral were Jesus simply a human being, but it is moral to the point of demonstrating sacrificial love , because Jesus is GOD the Creator who chose to come in the flesh and take upon Himself the sins of the world to redeem fallen humanity.

It's interesting that the notion that Jesus is god is refuted in several passages.

Referring to god as his father Jesus effectively distinguishes the two as separate beings:

Matthew 24:34-36
34 Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
The Necessity for Watchfulness 36 ‘But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

John 20:17
17Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Jesus was GIVEN power and authority, he did not own it.

As we all know, God is all-powerful and is independent, he needs no help from anybody. However so this is not the case with Jesus, unlike God, Jesus needs help from God, unlike God, Jesus does not own any power or any authority, rather it is given to him from God.

John 17:6-8
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that ALL THINGS whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me

John 7:16

16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me

John 12:49

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 8:26

26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

John 17:1-2
1 When Jesus had finished saying all these things he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the time has come. Reveal the glory of your Son so that he can give the glory back to you. 2 For you have given him authority over every man and woman in all the earth.​

Jesus denied being good in the sense that God is good.

If Jesus is God one would expect him to admit he is good in the sense that God is good, meaning perfect. However, when we read the Bible we see that Jesus denies being good in the sense that God is good which is perfect.

Matthew 19:16-17
16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”​

Will you worship Jesus, or the one Jesus worshiped?

One glaring problem the Christians have is that Jesus prayed, and had a God himself. This logically forces us conclude that Jesus cannot be God.

Matthew 26:36-44
36 Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and *said to His disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. 38 Then He *said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me.”

39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.” 40 And He *came to the disciples and *found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? 41 Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.” 43 Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more.​

source

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
It's interesting that the notion that Jesus is god is refuted in several passages.

Everyone of the listed verses which you attempt to use in disproving that Jesus is God can be adequately explained and are so by the scriptures themselves when read in context of the Bible as a whole, which from my experience with reading or responding to your posts is something you refuse to do.

I see no problem with verses in which the Son acknowledges His Father because the scriptures distinguish them as different Persons - One God- Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Along with being fully GOD, the scriptures plainly show that Jesus was fully HUMAN. It is perfectly reasonable that as such He would acknowledge the Father as God since one aspect of His life and ministry was to demonstrate the attitude we (humans) should have towards God. The fact that Jesus represented His Father and submitted Himself to His Father does not negate the fact that He is God. An ambassador or general who travels to a foreign land and serves on behalf of their country, submitting to it's laws and the Commander-in-Chief is no less human than the president. Jesus is no less God as the Son than His Father is God. I believe in the triune nature of the Godhead the Son always gives preference to the Father and again this is the attitude He purposely demonstrated to humanity...
Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.(Phil. 2:3-8)
It is humanity that NEEDS help from God and as a matter of fact are dependent on God for everything. Jesus was showing us that this is the attitude we should have and live by.
Although Jesus did not boast or throw around His position as God, neither did He deny that He was good as God is good. The fact that He stated that no one is good, but God only validates that He is God, unless you are saying He was bad. The scriptures reveal over and over His sinless, perfect life and complete oneness in attitude and will with His Father.
I will worship God as revealed in the scriptures...

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
God was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory. (1 Timothy 3:16)

As Thomas said to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!".

Skwim

Veteran Member
Everyone of the listed verses which you attempt to use in disproving that Jesus is God can be adequately explained and are so by the scriptures themselves when read in context of the Bible as a whole, which from my experience with reading or responding to your posts is something you refuse to do.

I see no problem with verses in which the Son acknowledges His Father because the scriptures distinguish them as different Persons - One God- Father, Son, Holy Spirit.
Of course they were different "persons," But if your claiming that together these three somehow comprise god I'll need to see the specific, unambiguous scripture that says as much.

Along with being fully GOD, the scriptures plainly show that Jesus was fully HUMAN. It is perfectly reasonable that as such He would acknowledge the Father as God since one aspect of His life and ministry was to demonstrate the attitude we (humans) should have towards God. The fact that Jesus represented His Father and submitted Himself to His Father does not negate the fact that He is God.
Failing to establish that Jesus was identical to god, it sure does. Your very statement here clearly establishes two distinct beings: 1) Jesus and 2) god (father).

An ambassador or general who travels to a foreign land and serves on behalf of their country, submitting to it's laws and the Commander-in-Chief is no less human than the president. Jesus is no less God as the Son than His Father is God.
Terrible, terrible, argument, :thumbsdown: not worth addressing.

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.(Phil. 2:3-8)
I have no idea what "the form of god" is supposed to signify, but to be equal to something else requires that it not be the same. One is not meaningfully equal to himself. It amounts to a tautology of sorts.

As Thomas said to Jesus, "My Lord and my God!".
So what? It's not uncommon to hear of people revering a person so highly that they resort to hyperbole when addressing and describing them.

Here, take a look at what one of your fellow Christians has to say about hyperbole in the Bible.

Hyperbole: A Common Biblical Figure of Speech
by Kyle Butt, M.A.

A common figure of speech used in the Bible is that of hyperbole. Bullinger defines hyperbole as: “when more is said than is literally meant” (1968, p. 423). He also calls hyperbole “exaggeration.”

. . .the Bible uses hyperbole on numerous occasions. Take John 4:39 as an example. In this passage, a Samaritan woman spoke of Jesus and said: “He told me all that I ever did” (emp. added). Had Jesus really told that woman everything that she had ever done in her life? No, she was using hyperbole to make her point.

Another example of hyperbole is found in John 3:26. In that context, John’s disciples were telling John about the increasing popularity of Jesus’ ministry. They said to him: “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!” (emp. added). Was it true that literally “all” the people in the world were coming to Jesus? No, it was simply the case that John’s disciples were intentionally exaggerating, using hyperbole, to describe Jesus’ spreading fame.
source

Then there are all the instances I gave in my last post which establish a clear distinction between Jesus and god, and in Jesus' own words no less, like them or not. And these present a far, far stronger argument, both in essence and number, that Jesus is not god than your meager protestations to the contrary.

Last edited:

Once again bible morality is subjective. For a human, bad, for a "God", no problem. In a made up fantasy world, it may be ok for the innocent to be punished for the crimes of the guilty. But in the real world, people are held accountable for their own crimes, the way it should be.

Now, what about the story in 2 Samuel ? God has a woman raped in public to punish her husband for displeasing him. What is the lesson in morality here ?

Last edited:

Referring to god as his father Jesus effectively distinguishes the two as separate beings:

Matthew 24:34-36
34 Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
The Necessity for Watchfulness 36 ‘But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

John 20:17
17Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Jesus was GIVEN power and authority, he did not own it.

As we all know, God is all-powerful and is independent, he needs no help from anybody. However so this is not the case with Jesus, unlike God, Jesus needs help from God, unlike God, Jesus does not own any power or any authority, rather it is given to him from God.

John 17:6-8
6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. 7 Now they have known that ALL THINGS whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. 8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me

John 7:16

16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me

John 12:49

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 8:26

26I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

John 17:1-2
1 When Jesus had finished saying all these things he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the time has come. Reveal the glory of your Son so that he can give the glory back to you. 2 For you have given him authority over every man and woman in all the earth.​

Jesus denied being good in the sense that God is good.

If Jesus is God one would expect him to admit he is good in the sense that God is good, meaning perfect. However, when we read the Bible we see that Jesus denies being good in the sense that God is good which is perfect.

Matthew 19:16-17
16 And someone came to Him and said, “Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?” 17 And He said to him, “Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.”​

Will you worship Jesus, or the one Jesus worshiped?

One glaring problem the Christians have is that Jesus prayed, and had a God himself. This logically forces us conclude that Jesus cannot be God.

Matthew 26:36-44
36 Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and *said to His disciples, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.” 37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and distressed. 38 Then He *said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved, to the point of death; remain here and keep watch with Me.”

39 And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.” 40 And He *came to the disciples and *found them sleeping, and said to Peter, “So, you men could not keep watch with Me for one hour? 41 Keep watching and praying that you may not enter into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

42 He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done.” 43 Again He came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more.​

source
It seems the bible hasn't got its story straight.

Of course they were different persons, But if your claiming that together these three persons somehow comprise god I'll need to see the specific, unambiguous scripture that backs it up.

Failing to establish that Jesus was identical to god, it sure does. Your very statement here clearly establishes two distinct beings: 1) Jesus and 2) god (father).

Terrible, terrible, argument, :thumbsdown: not worth addressing.

I have no idea what "the form of god" is supposed to signify, but to be equal to something else requires that it not be the same. One is not equal to himself. It amounts to a tautology of sorts.

So what? It's not uncommon to hear people so revere a person that they resort to hyperbole when addressing and describing them.

Here, take a look at what one of your fellow Christians has to say about hyperbole in the Bible.

Hyperbole: A Common Biblical Figure of Speech
by Kyle Butt, M.A.

A common figure of speech used in the Bible is that of hyperbole. Bullinger defines hyperbole as: “when more is said than is literally meant” (1968, p. 423). He also calls hyperbole “exaggeration.”

. . .the Bible uses hyperbole on numerous occasions. Take John 4:39 as an example. In this passage, a Samaritan woman spoke of Jesus and said: “He told me all that I ever did” (emp. added). Had Jesus really told that woman everything that she had ever done in her life? No, she was using hyperbole to make her point.

Another example of hyperbole is found in John 3:26. In that context, John’s disciples were telling John about the increasing popularity of Jesus’ ministry. They said to him: “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!” (emp. added). Was it true that literally “all” the people in the world were coming to Jesus? No, it was simply the case that John’s disciples were intentionally exaggerating, using hyperbole, to describe Jesus’ spreading fame.
source

Then there are all the instances I gave in my last post which establish a clear distinction between Jesus and god, and in Jesus' own words no less, like them or not. And these present a far, far stronger argument, both in essence and number, that Jesus is not god than your meager protestations to the contrary.

The reality is, christianity has many "gods" or other supernatural beings. There is God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. They have a stable of angels who do their bidding. Then there is satan and his band of demons. And what about the saints who perform miracles from the grave ? Christianity has at least as many "gods" as there were in Greek mythology.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not a Christian, but I find some moral in the Bible but not to set my life on.

For example, a lot of people look at God as a God of justice rather than a God of murder. They feel that if someone committed a crime then by Law, they should suffer the consequences. While I say karma (cause/effect) will give you the punishment, they say it is God because God created both--pain and pleasure.

Also, look at in the perspective of the people not God. If we wrote a book today based on our spiritual testiminoes and 2,000 years from now, a bunch of people read it and thought "oh they are inspired!" they will also see "Oh, the Holocaust, WW1, and 2, and 911!" This can't be inspired then.

And round we go, till it never stops. Which is it?

With sin, do you believe that you have inherited sin? Do you believe that you are tempted to sin so much that you need help out of it? Or do you feel that you are born perfect but just got side tracked along the way?

God's Law is not binding on you unless you are a Christian. Christianity does not have bids on reality no more than any other faith. It is an individual journey.

It seems thought you have strong feelings about the Christian faith. Maybe you can talk to a spiritual elder or someone you trust? If you still consider yourself Christian, maybe find another well meaning Christian who can help you out?

If you'd like us to help you, what specific things you having trouble understanding--in question format?

According to Christianity, there is only one god, he is perfect, and bible morality is absolute. In fact, it is literally carved in stone. The problem with this is that we have one god setting out laws in the Old Testament for one group of people in one time, yet the same god setting out a different set of laws in the New Testament for a different people in a different time.

Which is true and correct ? It seems gods laws are relative, and change with the times.

God says "thou shalt not kill", yet he sets out to kill men, women, children, unborn babies, and even animals. Also, he commands us to kill our family if they worship other gods. Well, ? What is it ? Is killing bad or is it sometimes justified ? Is killing's sinful nature absolute or does it depend on the circumstances ?

According to genesis, the entire world was populated by just one man and one woman. How could that possibly happen without some serious incest going on and "god only knows" what other sexual situations must have happened.

A casual read of the bible leaves one with the impression that god has no problem with polygamy or slavery. Neither made his top ten list of thou shalt not's.

In the bible, god resorts to murder, rape, and eternal torture to punish those who have displeased him for various reasons. In the 2 Samuel story, god has a woman raped in public to punish her husband who has angered him. Is it moral to punish someone for the actions of another person ?

Likewise, The Adam and Eve story tells us that all future generations who did not commit the original "sin" must be punished for the "sin" of two people from the distant past. Is that just ?

On the other hand, the Jesus story tells us that the sins of the guilty may be absolved by punishing the innocent. So the message is, "you are guilty of a sin ?, no problem, we will punish someone else and that will take care of it". Are these really the lessons of morality to teach our children?

The fact is, there is more moral relativism in the bible than in secular society.

So, what morality does the bible provide that cannot be achieved without it ?

atpollard

Of course they were different persons, But if your claiming that together these three persons somehow comprise god I'll need to see the specific, unambiguous scripture that says as much.
No you don't.
You are agnostic.
Proof is only required for belief ... and is usually personal and subjective.

Endless arguments demand proof that will never be adequate.
Are you looking for an endless argument? ;)

atpollard

Actually reading it might clear up most of the confusion.
OT Exo 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before me."
OT Deut 6:5 "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."
NT Mark 12:30 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’"

OT Exo 20:13-17 "“You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”
NT Mark 12:31 "The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

[sarcasm] I guess that there is no way to reconcile those OT laws with the NT commands. [/sarcasm]

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel that of course the bible is a poor source for moral guidance, like have you ever read that thing right through ?.,

atpollard

I feel that of course the bible is a poor source for moral guidance, like have you ever read that thing right through ?.,
I have.
Genesis and Exodus are sort of a fun read ... Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are not so much fun.
Technically, there is little for a casual seeker to gain from a Genesis to Revalation read through the Bible as a first exposure.
What do you want to know?
Someone can suggest a specific book in the Bible to start reading in to find your answers.

I would personally suggest the Gospel of John and the Epistles (maybe Corinthians or Galations) as a general starting point.
Finding a group of people that you trust to bounce question and ideas off of would probably be helpful as well.

newone

Sorry for the late reply. Looks like you already got various thoughts on this. From your response to these thoughts, please correct me I am wrong but it seems your
aim is just to have people agree with your take on these ideas!? :)

I also wondered about many things in life as I am sure all of us do.

1) I think I always accepted the fact that we were made by something/somethings/someone very Powerful and Intelligent.
2) Think about it, that is if you actually believe the above to be true...how much power, wisdom and intelligence it would take to make
the universe.
3) When you make something then it belongs to you. You decide what you do with it...
4) Obviously due to our nature it becomes more complicated.
5) But the fact remains that if we were made by let's say God then he reserves the right to do whatever he pleases.
6) He has the right and authority to make the rules, if he wished so he could easily have wiped us from the face of the earth.
7) People who don't believe in a creator, well that is their choice, right and business. But we who do believe it's our business and we need not feel bad or
appologise for it.

It all comes down to this, do you really believe that there is a God?
Do you believe that the whole bible (any translation will do) is His Word?

If your answer to the above questions are yes then I will try and give some answers to your concerns...

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I have.
Genesis and Exodus are sort of a fun read ... Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy are not so much fun.
Technically, there is little for a casual seeker to gain from a Genesis to Revalation read through the Bible as a first exposure.
What do you want to know?
Someone can suggest a specific book in the Bible to start reading in to find your answers.

I would personally suggest the Gospel of John and the Epistles (maybe Corinthians or Galations) as a general starting point.
Finding a group of people that you trust to bounce question and ideas off of would probably be helpful as well.
I know there is some good in the bible, but that is only if you cherry pick, its either you believe in all the bible or you just believe in the parts that you yourself like to read, so in that, the bible isn't a good source.