• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The brain is just how the soul expresses itself"

I've often made this argument about the existence of a human soul or spirit:
  1. Modern neuroscience provides overwhelming evidence that human experience and behavior are caused solely by the influence of genes and environment on the brain
  2. Thus, the idea of a human soul is unnecessary to explain/predict human experience and behavior
  3. Therefore, positive belief in a human soul is not valid
Now, some people dispute #1, but i.m.o. those people lack any understanding of modern neuroscience. There are others, however, who do believe in souls but still agree with #1. The counter-argument that they offer goes like this:
  1. Suppose there is a soul, and the brain is just how the soul expresses itself
  2. Modern neuroscience is therefore positive evidence of a soul
  3. Therefore, positive belief in a human soul is valid
In my opinion, if the above reasoning is valid, then the following reasoning is valid as well:
  1. Suppose there are interdimensional aliens, and the way they manifest themselves is by controlling every neuron in the human brain
  2. Modern neuroscience is therefore positive evidence of these aliens
  3. Therefore, positive belief in an interdimensional alien for every neuron in the human brain is valid
How about this one:
  1. Suppose that ants have souls, and the way their souls manifest themselves is by controlling the ant's nervous system
  2. Modern science is therefore positive evidence of ant souls
  3. Therefore, positive belief in ant souls is valid
Unless my reasoning powers have severely failed me, I cannot see why the concept of a soul for every human brain should be taken any more seriously than the concept of an alien for every neuron or a soul for every ant. Where am I going wrong?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If I were playing devil's advocate here, I would ask whether your conclusion actually follows from your premises. That's to say, does the fact the soul is unnecessary to explain anything demand the conclusion that belief in the soul is invalid?

Does that objection have any validity or have I misunderstood your argument?

Great thread, by the way.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Perhaps to clarify, I'm thinking of the slim possibility someone might assert that the soul is a metaphysical entity which has no influence on anything physical.

rocketman

Out there...
Modern neuroscience provides overwhelming evidence that human experience and behavior are caused solely by the influence of genes and environment on the brain
" Not only has advanced neuroscientific research revealed an obdurate mystery at the core of consciousness, but theoretical advances in the natural and physical sciences have greatly complicated the effort to reduce
all human phenomena-the mind notably included-to the effects of material causes. "

New Challenges to Our Most Cherished Beliefs About Self and the Human Spirit - US News and World Report

It's a good article.

I cannot see why the concept of a soul for every human brain should be taken any more seriously than the concept of an alien for every neuron or a soul for every ant. Where am I going wrong?
Do ants have a sense of self? Our sense of soul is intimately related to our sense of self. We can 'imagine' ourselves (our self-awareness) going on forever for example. Somehow we have ended up with this perception. It gets interpreted by the 'mind' differently depending on culture/religion, but how do we know we don't have some platonic analogue? Does our deepest sense of self really come from the arrangement and interactions of our
molecules? When we explain our sense of self better, and we are a long way from it, then we might be able to say with some more certainty.

If I were playing devil's advocate here, I would ask whether your conclusion actually follows from your premises. That's to say, does the fact the soul is unnecessary to explain anything demand the conclusion that belief in the soul is invalid?
Good point. The arguments I've submitted in the OP are not by any means strict logical proofs. To say that belief in unnecessary things is not "valid" is something of a value judgement on my part.....but i.m.o. if we are to be consistent then we must regard all beliefs in unnecessary entities (no matter how outlandish) equally "valid".

" Not only has advanced neuroscientific research revealed an obdurate mystery at the core of consciousness, but theoretical advances in the natural and physical sciences have greatly complicated the effort to reduce
all human phenomena-the mind notably included-to the effects of material causes. "

New Challenges to Our Most Cherished Beliefs About Self and the Human Spirit - US News and World Report

It's a good article.
Thank you for quoting that claim. Can you please quote evidence to support the claim, and explain how said evidence is incompatible with the arguments I made in the OP?

rocketman said:
Do ants have a sense of self? We can 'imagine' ourselves (our self-awareness) going on forever for example. Somehow we have ended up with this perception. It gets interpreted by the 'mind' differently depending on culture/religion, but how do we know we don't have some platonic analogue?
We don't know. We also don't know that there isn't a platonic analogue for the sense of sight or sound or chemical taste, or a platonic analogue for having six legs or two antennae.

So on what basis should I consider a supernatural entity that is responsible for the human 'sense of self' more seriously than a supernatural entity that is responsible for the shark's 'sense of electrical fields'?

rocketman said:
Does our deepest sense of self really come from the arrangement and interactions of our molecules?
In my opinion, the evidence overwhelmingly suggets "yes".

Let me explain why:

Our "deepest sense of self" can be radically altered by ingesting various chemicals, receiving a severe blow to the head, receiving patterns of electromagnetic fields, by physically altering the brain by damaging or removing specific parts of it, or by environmental factors such as sounds and lights. We do not need to understand all the complex mechanisms behind these processes to know that, ultimately, our sense of self is made possible by and altered by physical causes.

On the other hand, we have yet to discover anything that does not physically influence our brains that can have an effect on our experience or behavior: our "deepest sense of self", for example, is unaffected when strangers unknowingly pray for us, or when someone in the other room gets angry or sad, or when a future calamity or "miracle" is about to happen (or is unknowingly happening) somewhere in the world, or when anther person in a soundproof room focuses their thoughts on a picture.

Now, if you think that our sense of self is not affected by physical means, or if you think that non-physical means can affect our sense of self, let me know, and by all means I can quote study after study that shows this to be the case.

If, on the other hand, you agree with the above, then I must ask: isn't it only reasonable to conclude that our experience and behavior are the very complex results of physical interactions? (Which is not to say that we understand them all.)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Good point. The arguments I've submitted in the OP are not by any means strict logical proofs. To say that belief in unnecessary things is not "valid" is something of a value judgement on my part.....but i.m.o. if we are to be consistent then we must regard all beliefs in unnecessary entities (no matter how outlandish) equally "valid".

I'm in agreement with you there, Spinks. Personally, I'm firmly of the notion that the brain is controlled by billions of tiny, undetectable angels who use even tinier, invisible cattle prods to fire neurons. But I could be wrong.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Rocketman said:
Does our deepest sense of self really come from the arrangement and interactions of our molecules?

I don't know of any better explanation that fits the facts as we know them. What I wonder is whether there is any competing theory that fits the facts as well as the notion our deepest sense of self comes from, as you say, the arrangement and interactions of our molecules?

Super Universe

Defender of God
I've often made this argument about the existence of a human soul or spirit:
  1. Modern neuroscience provides overwhelming evidence that human experience and behavior are caused solely by the influence of genes and environment on the brain
  2. Thus, the idea of a human soul is unnecessary to explain/predict human experience and behavior
  3. Therefore, positive belief in a human soul is not valid
Now, some people dispute #1, but i.m.o. those people lack any understanding of modern neuroscience. There are others, however, who do believe in souls but still agree with #1. The counter-argument that they offer goes like this:
  1. Suppose there is a soul, and the brain is just how the soul expresses itself
  2. Modern neuroscience is therefore positive evidence of a soul
  3. Therefore, positive belief in a human soul is valid
In my opinion, if the above reasoning is valid, then the following reasoning is valid as well:
  1. Suppose there are interdimensional aliens, and the way they manifest themselves is by controlling every neuron in the human brain
  2. Modern neuroscience is therefore positive evidence of these aliens
  3. Therefore, positive belief in an interdimensional alien for every neuron in the human brain is valid
How about this one:
  1. Suppose that ants have souls, and the way their souls manifest themselves is by controlling the ant's nervous system
  2. Modern science is therefore positive evidence of ant souls
  3. Therefore, positive belief in ant souls is valid
Unless my reasoning powers have severely failed me, I cannot see why the concept of a soul for every human brain should be taken any more seriously than the concept of an alien for every neuron or a soul for every ant. Where am I going wrong?

Personality is made up of certain elements. Each and every person has a completely unique assembly of these elements but this is splitting hairs because the differences are slight since each person is still a person and, for the most part, still has the same elements even if the levels of each are slightly different.

Also there are some people with significant deficiencies of personality. In essence, using the word deficiency is not correct. Think of it in genetic terms, the mutation that makes a person a carrier of Sickle Cell Anemia might be considered by some to be a deficiency but it helps the person resist Malaria so it's a trade off. The universe wants diversity, not clones.

Environment certainly plays a role in human behavior, it lets some personality elements come to the forefront and forces others beneath the surface. This is because we have to be able to adapt, otherwise we'd need much more help from outside sources in order to survive.

The personality is not the human soul. The body is like a vehicle, the soul is quietly sitting in the passenger seat offering directions while the personality is doing all the driving.

Interdimensional aliens? If you wish to view the soul as an alien then that is your choice, still, the soul does not control the brain.

As for determining whether a belief is valid or not, it all depends on the person's experience. You can't prove or disprove what another person feels or should feel.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I'd really like to frubal Spinks for his OP/thread here (but I'm limited by proscribed RF allowances of such).

*sigh*

Just the same...

SuperUniverse said:
Personality is made up of certain elements.

Earth, Wind, Fire, Water?

What "elements" constitute any given "personality"?

Each and every person has a completely unique assembly of these elements but this is splitting hairs because the differences are slight since each person is still a person and, for the most part, still has the same elements even if the levels of each are slightly different.

Jabberwocky.

Also there are some people with significant deficiencies of personality.

Indeed. I can only plead the Fifth for myself I leave you to represent yourself...

In essence, using the word deficiency is not correct.

Duh.

Think of it in genetic terms, the mutation that makes a person a carrier of Sickle Cell Anemia might be considered by some to be a deficiency but it helps the person resist Malaria so it's a trade off. The universe wants diversity, not clones.

Cool. Do you have a list handy of other important things that "the universe wants"?

Environment certainly plays a role in human behavior, it lets some personality elements come to the forefront and forces others beneath the surface. This is because we have to be able to adapt, otherwise we'd need much more help from outside sources in order to survive.

Wow. Deep depth perceived...from an "outside source".

The personality is not the human soul. The body is like a vehicle, the soul is quietly sitting in the passenger seat offering directions while the personality is doing all the driving.

Which then begs the question:
"Is it the soul or the body that asks for directions when directionally off course?

Interdimensional aliens? If you wish to view the soul as an alien then that is your choice, still, the soul does not control the brain.

Fascinating. What then, pray tell, controls the brain?

As for determining whether a belief is valid or not, it all depends on the person's experience.

No...it depends (and is determined) opon the validity of any person's supportive evidences. If you "believe" that you are an "alien baby (maybe a love-child of Tom Cruise and a Pod-Person)", then you retain the burden of providing evidential/reasonable (falsifiable) proofs to substantiate that claim (assuming you want anyone to accept your claim as being "true"). Otherwise, you can rightfully expect to be considered a kook.

You can't prove or disprove what another person feels or should feel.

Hmmm...this may be the most salient and informed observation you have ever offered to this point in RF.

It states nothing of value, nor lends and particular illumination/insight; but then...that's how I "feel" about it.

Ceridwen018

My soul ruptured, so I had to have it surgically removed. I feel fine though--no emotional or moral side affects. I have found that I'm suddenly better at math...turns out my soul had been swelling (hence the subsequent rupturing) and putting pressure on my left frontal lobe.

Anyway, even if your soul isn't causing any harm, I would advise everyone to get theirs removed as a precautionary measure--you never know what you might be missing.

blackout

Violet.
The soul is the part of you that either defaults
to your (body's) physical current point of "assemblage"
(the way you are currently "assembling" or "constructing" your experience of the world)
or takes the necessary steps to make the "shift" into a new one.

Even if it is true that chemical reactions and all
hold your present "construction" together...
The soul is the inner you CHOOSING and making NEW CONNECTIONS...
trading old chemical brews for new ones...
pumping out more of this ... or less of that...
creating new realities by DESIGN,
or repeating the body's same old same old
out of either habit, lack of awareness... or fear.

The inner "artist/scientist/sourceerer" if you will...
is actually quite a good inner glimpse of the outer you.
The two are very true to form.

At least that's how I'm assembling this concept tonight.
Who knows though...
tomorrow I might brew up a whole nother construct!

rocketman

Out there...
Thank you for quoting that claim. Can you please quote evidence to support the claim, and explain how said evidence is incompatible with the arguments I made in the OP?
It's a fair claim. Unless one assumes total reductionsism beforehand imho. I too study these things a lot, and I read many of the papers. None of them offer overwhemingly conclusive proof of your claim. For example, if you can prove to me that your decision to start this thread occured not via an external/platonic will, but rather by an unstoppable bump and grind of chemicals, then I will agree with your first assertion. Unfortunately, the origin of decision making is not known, only a rough picture of what happens in the brain before, during and after a decision has been made. If we could plug into the brain some kind of translating flat-panel display and 'see' (in terms we understand) what is being processed and what parameters are weighed and exactly why it is that an option is chosen then that would give us something to work with here. At the moment however we cannot say for certain that particular higher level decisions begin in the brain. We know that the conscious is often just showing us what the sub-conscious has already decided, but even then we still cannot say we can pinpoint the CAUSE of particular decisions.

The link I posted also clearly shows that there are major differences of opinion on these mysterious subjects. There was an interesting recent article in the Oct 2007 edition of Scientific American where two leading theorists pitted their arguments against each other. Honestly, they just don't know. There is a lot of measurement data, but no real way just yet of putting it all together in a way that would allow us to make sweeping declarations.

From the earlier mentioned article: " Neuroscience needs a theory that predicts, based on physical measurements, which of the following organisms is conscious: a fruit fly, a dog, a human fetus five months after conception, an unresponsive Alzheimer’s patient, the World Wide Web, and so on. Some experts, including Giulio Tononi of the University of Wisconsin–Madison, are working on such theories. But we are still so ignorant about the brain that we can only speculate. " (Emphasis mine.)

Yet we do think we know that we humans have consciousness (and self-awareness if I may). We also 'know that we know we have it'; an even deeper property. But we have no known logic gate or transistor circut or mathematical emulation or programming which can simulate this condition. Fair enough, some expect that it is possible with biological computing (brain), and some say quantum effects may one day be shown to create this otherwise bizarre condition, but we just cannot say that for certain just yet. There's plenty of room to speculate that something extra-dimensional (??) is at work. The brain is one of the last remaining things where we cannot truly identify (some) causal properties, like certain voluntary decisions. That's not to say that possibility makes it so, however, we should be equally careful I think not to go the other way. Unfortunately there is a presumption of reductionism already at work:

" Neuroscientists do not yet understand enough about the brain’s inner workings to spell out exactly how consciousness arises from the electrical and chemical activity of neurons." (previous source) This is not to say that one can measure some obscure quasi-dimensional property just yet, but it also must remain open for now the possibility that these interactions alone will not account for causing certain decisions, despite obviously acting as a transit for information-in/information-out. Right now then, neither view, soul or no-soul, can prove anything. We know we are using animal bodies, but is there a ghost in the machine? Or is the machine what produces the perception of the 'ghost' so to speak? Is the deeper sense of self the same as the other regular senses? No, why would it be? And we don't have to be conscious to posess it. Damgaged and modified brains have also indicated 'no'. Let's be careful not to assume to intertwine the sense of physical self and the deeper sense of self too tightly or we may miss something important.

I hate to have to say this, but if I am corresponding with nothing more than a collection of particles at the other end of this cyber conection then I am left with no choice but to weigh everything it says with geat caution, for I have never been one to trust robots who call themselves Mr Spinkles. I would be having a good look at rewriting that name-generating sub-routine if I were you ;) On the other hand, if you posess a personage of your own, one that exists with an awareness of it's own existence and therefore (theoretically) platonic comprehension, then I say good thread, very interesting. But I refuse to offer compliments to a mere machine, sorry.

I'm not sure that a soul, if we have one, can 'know' anything about this universe without a working brain at this end. And I don't think a soul, if we have one, is much more than a rough guide for the brain. I think deep meditaion and serious consideration don't so much enable more computing power or work between our ears but possibly allow the actual causal force for decisions to have a more 'focused' guidance with a higher flow of information to and from whatever it is that makes decisions for us. For me personally, on the big 'free will' issues, there is ultimately a soul doing that job.

I hope all that makes sense :)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I believe the soul exists. I think it is an integral part of not just the brain but the entire body. I think it is much like an "observer" recording things you do. I think it is also - for the people who do have the experience - what you talk with when you communicate with God (or whatever you want to call it). I think also that it has influence on our actions, however, I'm unsure of any theory how exactly that works.

More thoughts later.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I'd really like to frubal Spinks for his OP/thread here (but I'm limited by proscribed RF allowances of such).

*sigh*

Just the same...

SuperUniverse said:

Earth, Wind, Fire, Water?

What "elements" constitute any given "personality"?

Jabberwocky.

Indeed. I can only plead the Fifth for myself I leave you to represent yourself...

Duh.

Cool. Do you have a list handy of other important things that "the universe wants"?

Wow. Deep depth perceived...from an "outside source".

Which then begs the question:
"Is it the soul or the body that asks for directions when directionally off course?

Fascinating. What then, pray tell, controls the brain?

No...it depends (and is determined) opon the validity of any person's supportive evidences. If you "believe" that you are an "alien baby (maybe a love-child of Tom Cruise and a Pod-Person)", then you retain the burden of providing evidential/reasonable (falsifiable) proofs to substantiate that claim (assuming you want anyone to accept your claim as being "true"). Otherwise, you can rightfully expect to be considered a kook.

Hmmm...this may be the most salient and informed observation you have ever offered to this point in RF.

It states nothing of value, nor lends and particular illumination/insight; but then...that's how I "feel" about it.

The elements of personality? Sigh... come on, think. At least try and figure something out for yourself for once. You argue just for the sake of arguing and never make the slightest attempt to learn a thing.

Do I have a list of other things the universe wants? It's around here somewhere.

When directionally off course the soul gives options to the personality, this, or that. The personality then decides. Think of it as the tiny angel on one shoulder and the little devil on the other.

What controls the brain? Assuming you were not asking about basic life sustaining functions, personality controls behavior.

As for trying to determine the validity of a person's beliefs, not all people need valid evidence. Look up the word "hope". No one retains any burden of proving anything they believe. You don't have to prove to me that you are a self absorbed cold hearted reptile cloaked in human form who tries to impress strangers with his intellectual word prowess to prove he is something more than a bottom feeder, yet I still believe it to be so.

You worry too much about what others think of you. Try to be brave. Feel strong inside when you are standing up talking with a group of men instead of being consumed by fear and responding with anger at their differences.

logician

I do believe in ghosts.

I do believe in ghosts.

Actually, I don't. I think the pro-soul arguments here are the same ones, postulate the existence of a soul, and then say it can't be disproven. It seems the only solution is to wait until we're 6 feet under to know, although, I think by then it's too late.

logician said:
I think the pro-soul arguments here are the same ones, postulate the existence of a soul, and then say it can't be disproven.
I agree. :)

rocketman,

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I agree with you that there is controversy and mystery in the field of neuroscience.

However, I think you have greatly mischaracterized the mystery. The mystery is about what precise physical mechanisms/properties account for our many different types of experience. The mystery in neuroscience is *not* about whether or not our experience depends upon physical influences.

Secondly, you mischaracterize the nature of physical phenomena. To say that something is ultimately physical is not the same thing as saying that it is simple or predictable, or even that we can know it in detail.

Thirdly, you make an argument from ignorance. "We don't know it all, therefore there are supernatural influences." Study after study fails to find conclusive evidence of non-physical affects on our experience. Study after study finds a connection between the physical interactions of neurons with their environment and each other, and our experience. Yet you suggest that, because we don't know absolutely everything about how this works, there is "plenty of room to speculate" extra-dimensional entities.

By that reasoning, there is also "plenty of room to speculate" that extra-dimensional entities are involved in the behavior of everything from tornadoes to bacteria to ants to fungi to the stock market to solar flares. Why should we consider the human soul any more seriously than we consider all these other *possible* extra-dimensional entities?

Damgaged and modified brains have also indicated 'no'. Let's be careful not to assume to intertwine the sense of physical self and the deeper sense of self too tightly or we may miss something important.
Have you ever gone under strong anasthaesia before surgery? I have. I can say with fair certainty that I experienced nothing during that time. I did not experience 'the sense of physical self' or 'the deeper sense of self' that you speak of. I was totally unconscious. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who has ever been unconscious. ;)

I hate to have to say this, but if I am corresponding with nothing more than a collection of particles at the other end of this cyber conection then I am left with no choice but to weigh everything it says with geat caution, for I have never been one to trust robots who call themselves Mr Spinkles. I would be having a good look at rewriting that name-generating sub-routine if I were you ;) On the other hand, if you posess a personage of your own, one that exists with an awareness of it's own existence and therefore (theoretically) platonic comprehension, then I say good thread, very interesting. But I refuse to offer compliments to a mere machine, sorry.
That's not what I'm saying.

When I say that our experience depends on physical causes, I am not saying that we don't "exist with an awareness of [our] own existence" or that everyone is a "mere machine" etc. I agree with you, we are aware of our own existence, and we aren't "mere machines". That doesn't mean we are supernatural.

Human beings are greater than the sum of their parts, it's true. So are all organisms, and also many complex physical systems like magnets and hurricanes.

But we are made of parts nevertheless, and I think it's somewhat egotistical to be unwilling to even consider the possibility that lowly, physical parts can give rise to beautiful, feeling beings.

rocketman

Out there...
Thirdly, you make an argument from ignorance. "We don't know it all, therefore there are supernatural influences."
Actually I said: "That's not to say that possibility makes it so..."

Anyway, just as the neurologists in the article I cited emphasise the importance of psychological data as well as medical data, I too would point out that the outcomes are as important as the mechanics. After all, we trust that people are sufficiently self-aware to tell us how they feel - we don't stop them and say: "Actually, you only think you feel bad, you are just a collection of bits that somehow has become more than the sum of it's bits and is caught in an endless self-awareness loop, so no, you can't have the day off..." hehe ;)

When a very intelligent scientist tells me that he believes that he has a soul or some sense of himself that he considers seperate from his body then I take that very seriously. It may well be his brain and mouth presenting this data to me, but that's just the message, is it also the author? You focus on the mechanics but they don't fully explain all of the outcomes just yet, including sense of self. Therefore something is missing in our knowledge, or is it - could our perception itself be correct? And if not, why not? Who cares if the body has to be functional before a claim about having a soul can be made? As if it could be any other way even if there really is a soul. We need to establish if there is not a seperation between message(brain, body, mouth) and author (currently of unknown origin, especially where high level decisions come into play).

Study after study fails to find conclusive evidence of non-physical affects on our experience.
Of-course it would be impossible to find proof of something non-physical, but affects is an interesting subject and I think you missed my earlier point about it. You see, the best the 'yes' crowd can ever hope for is for everything to be completely measured about the brain and for there to still not be any indication as to what casues higher order decisions to be made. This of-course will always be met with the suggestion that we can always learn more by some yet unrealised method or will learn to interpret the data differently and that 'one day' we will prove it's all just in our heads. Which is where we are at now anyway.

I would speculate that if there were some kind of platonic will able to act on a healthy brain, that it would do so in broad brushstrokes and would be severely limited by what the biological computer throws up. If our brain really is one of the most complicated things in the physical universe, and If the universe was made for humans as many on this forum believe, then I suppose there is a certain platonic logic to having the soul's keyhole view consisting of such sophisticated neuronal patterning. And patterns, rather than some kind of regular computing logic, seem to be the language of the brain. Everything we see so far fits in with the idea of a soul; We would expect to see data in, data sorted, data computed and dare I say it: presented. (How do we know neuronal firing patterns are not what the soul 'sees'?) Then data heads back out in a similar way. What happens between the coming in and going out? That's the real question. Until we can pinpoint the exact mechanism for higher order decisions then we cannot rule out something else at work, however unlikely that may seem. As for being unconscious, the soul could simply miss out on input during this time. Who knows.

Study after study finds a connection between the physical interactions of neurons with their environment and each other, and our experience. Yet you suggest that, because we don't know absolutely everything about how this works, there is "plenty of room to speculate" extra-dimensional entities.
There is a strange thing going on with decisions, deep self-awareness and apparant free will. If we can say for sure that our highest-order decision making is caused by purely biological actions then fair enough, but notice that we cannot yet pinpoint and explain this very thing that many perceive to be coming from a platonic will. Think about that. These two points presently support each other: the perception that it's non-physical and the lack of measurement showing that it is physical. If Penrose's mathematical work is right and there really is no way to generate self-awareness with regular math based computing, and we are all waiting around to see if some quirky quantum phenomena can do it, then I fail to see why we can't also wait around and see if 'nothing' causes it (ie: that would imply something external at work, maybe extraphysical, maybe supernatural, not that we'd be able to prove it).

Why should we consider the human soul any more seriously than we consider all these other *possible* extra-dimensional entities?
Because higher level decision making in humans is one of the few remaining areas of apparant spontaneous action that has not been fully explained, and because many intelligent humans claim to know that something about themselves is extant apart from that which they can sense with their regular senses.

That's not what I'm saying.
The robot thing was in jest :) I was serious about the thread being interesting though.

But we are made of parts nevertheless, and I think it's somewhat egotistical to be unwilling to even consider the possibility that lowly, physical parts can give rise to beautiful, feeling beings.
I probably wouldn't use the word egotistical. People can't help it if their sense of self happens to coincide with themselves. By sense of self in the context of this discussion I mean the fact that we have, for example, a sense of self which can imagine itself going on forever, and some can certainly imagine this sense being transfered to perhaps a different machine. This is quite different from the sense of physical self, I say. This is a known condition, which happens to coincide with the person experiencing it, so it only seems egotistical, I think. So, is this perception of a self seperate from the body in turn created by the body? Maybe. But why should we discount it while accepting scientific assessments arrived at with merely our regular senses? Even with the other senses cut off, although we eventually go insane, we still have a sense of self.

I don't think the brain is merely how the soul expresses itself, it is also obviously how it expresses its own self in many areas, especially the 'involuntary' ones. Still, the very fact that we can step back and assess these things as if we were doing so from some platonic vantage point is very telling. However, if we are to rule out all such vantage points as being illusory then we quickly lose any basis for making a claim for either idea. The seat of consciousness, the exact point of decision making, the perceived experience of free will: these are the areas we need to know more about. We wouldn't know anything about them exept that we experience them. Experiences can normally be initiated by physical input, but the funny thing about these particular experiences/perceptions is that the perception itself for many is that we have a deep down essence which is more than physical somehow.

Sorry for these wrody posts, it's just a hard thing to put into words sometimes. [edit: including the word 'wordy' Lol]