• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The brain is just how the soul expresses itself"

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
At least with that topic we could categorically rule an opinion in or out for a given group of pussies.
:)

Oh...mee-ow.

;-)

My brain has just been soulfully informed (by itself) to lend (given groups) yet another opportunity to bring more than a knife to a gunfight (simply as a sporting gesture...not that it will effect the eventual outcome in any defining measure...).

Oh wait...

I remember now...

I said:
Either define (exactly and specifically) just WHAT "the [human] soul" IS...or refine/rephrase the initial premise of the thread.

I can reject the presented premise purely and pointedly because it
remains an untestable testimony of faith...not as any evidential fact or burdened proof.

Bang.

You're dead.

Orphaned kitties are now left to fend for themselves.

I blame you.

;-)

rocketman

Out there...
Oh wait...

I remember now...

I said:
Either define (exactly and specifically) just WHAT "the [human] soul" IS...or refine/rephrase the initial premise of the thread.
What was the premise again? Oh wait, I remember now : "Unless my reasoning powers have severely failed me, I cannot see why the concept of a soul for every human brain should be taken any more seriously than the concept of an alien for every neuron or a soul for every ant. Where am I going wrong?"

And my response? "When we explain our sense of self better, and we are a long way from it, then we might be able to say with some more certainty."

It's not that the cat has my tounge, but after that first page I saw this premise as a no-win-for-either-side discussion as opposed to something that can be truly debated. Somewhere along the way most of us decided to say/imply if we thought we had a soul or not, a matter of opinion, which should not be confused with the original premise.

You're dead.
Don't worry, I have 9 lives.
Mmmmm, salmon....

Peace.

Somkid

This information is incorrect and flawed. Humans are not the only species on the planet where this effect occurs which is self awareness, it also occurs in elephants, certain primates, dolphins and whales it is not unique or special it is rather random perhaps proving higher intelligences but certainly nothing of supernatural qualities.

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
This information is incorrect and flawed. Humans are not the only species on the planet where this effect occurs which is self awareness, it also occurs in elephants, certain primates, dolphins and whales it is not unique or special it is rather random perhaps proving higher intelligences but certainly nothing of supernatural qualities.

What do you mean by "self-awareness"? A computer can be programmed to have a self-reference, but not consciousness. How do you know that these animals are conscious? Does anyone know what their experience is like?

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
What was the premise again? Oh wait, I remember now : "Unless my reasoning powers have severely failed me, I cannot see why the concept of a soul for every human brain should be taken any more seriously than the concept of an alien for every neuron or a soul for every ant. Where am I going wrong?"

And my response? "When we explain our sense of self better, and we are a long way from it, then we might be able to say with some more certainty."

It's not that the cat has my tounge, but after that first page I saw this premise as a no-win-for-either-side discussion as opposed to something that can be truly debated. Somewhere along the way most of us decided to say/imply if we thought we had a soul or not, a matter of opinion, which should not be confused with the original premise.

Don't worry, I have 9 lives.
Mmmmm, salmon....

Peace.

Perhaps you are accurate in this...

"I saw this premise as a no-win-for-either-side discussion as opposed to something that can be truly debated."

You could not win. You did not win.

I did.

No further debate required.

Happy New Year.

;-)