• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Cartoon Controversy

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
May I offer a different point of view on this topic,
Very few political cartoons are drawn as a joke.
From what I have heard these cartoons did not make a Joke of Muhammad.
They certainly used his image to make political points.
in our civilization this is covered by freedom of speech.
It was unfriendly, it was disrespectful to Muslims.
Was it being disrespectful of The prophet Muhammad, I don't know,; because I don't know if the illustrator believed him to be a Prophet.
Mohammed is a Prophet to Muslims but not to those of other religions.
In the same way as Jesus is Not God to Muslims.
Christians find describing Jesus as a Prophet insulting.

If every one rioted and killed at insults to things they believed.
The world would be in a far worse state than it is.

Fortunately this reaction is not universal.

Terry________________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Judgement Day

Terrywoodenpic said:
May I offer a different point of view on this topic,
Very few political cartoons are drawn as a joke.
From what I have heard these cartoons did not make a Joke of Muhammad.
They certainly used his image to make political points.
in our civilization this is covered by freedom of speech.
It was unfriendly, it was disrespectful to Muslims.
Was it being disrespectful of The prophet Muhammad, I don't know,; because I don't know if the illustrator believed him to be a Prophet.
Mohammed is a Prophet to Muslims but not to those of other religions.
In the same way as Jesus is Not God to Muslims.
Christians find describing Jesus as a Prophet insulting.

If every one rioted and killed at insults to things they believed.
The world would be in a far worse state than it is.

Fortunately this reaction is not universal.
The image of Prophet Muhammad wearing a turban-bomb-like with a fuse on, is not only making a joke of Muhammaed but also making a joke of Muslims. Prophet Muhammad is our idol whom we based all our acts upon. So making an image of the Prophet disguised as a terrorist is the same thing as saying that Muslims are terrorists. Freedom of speech is also covered in Islamic values, but a freedom of speech which is accountable. But the freedom of speech claimed by them on this matter is irresponsible. On the other hand, violence is also irresponsible, this shouldnt have happened.

Popeyesays

jamaesi said:
I think you need to resonsider the use of idol in your post, Judgement Day.
What I do not understand is that most muslims KNOW the cartoons were manipulative to cause just what happened . So, why should they allow themselves to be manipulated?

Regards,
Scott

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
michel said:
May I ask, does that rule have to be applied by followers of Islam to non-Muslims, as well as Muslims (ie do followers of Islam feel that they must see that rule enforced on everyone) ?:)
No Michel, that would be ridiclous to enforce this rule on non-Muslims.

I guess what the brother meant is to explain how we feel about simple normal drawing by US even if it was normal good drwaing not insulting about prophet Mohammed and how it would be with insulting one.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Judgement Day said:
The image of Prophet Muhammad wearing a turban-bomb-like with a fuse on, is not only making a joke of Muhammaed but also making a joke of Muslims.
I do not understaand your meaning of Joke.

A joke is something you laugh at.
This is no laughing matter. They were making a serious political point.
No one is obliged to agree with them, but we do defend their right to make them.

Nor did your post address any of the other points I raised.
Perhaps you would like to give me your views on them.

Terry_____________________
Blessed are those who bring peace, they shall be children of God

Smoke

Done here.
The Truth said:
No Michel, that would be ridiclous to enforce this rule on non-Muslims.
Isn't that what all the protesting is about? Enforcing Muslim rules on non-Muslims?

Judgement Day

Terrywoodenpic said:
I do not understaand your meaning of Joke.

A joke is something you laugh at.
This is no laughing matter. They were making a serious political point.
No one is obliged to agree with them, but we do defend their right to make them.

Nor did your post address any of the other points I raised.
Perhaps you would like to give me your views on them.
Joke

Such political point needs to be accountable.

Judgement Day

Popeyesays said:
What I do not understand is that most muslims KNOW the cartoons were manipulative to cause just what happened . So, why should they allow themselves to be manipulated?
In the Eastern, people are easy to get provocated. I guess this ties to culture.

Like what Jamaesi said in another thread:
"You don't see the Muslims in America taking to the streets and torching buildings over these silly cartoons, do you?"

Judgement Day

MidnightBlue said:
Fine: Forcing non-Muslims to respect Muslim sensibilities. Morally, what's the difference?
Enforcing Muslim rules on non-Muslims and demanding respect on Muslim values are two different kinds of things. Oh and please dont use the word "Force", it is offensive.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
2:256 There is no compulsion in religion, for the right way is clearly from the wrong way. Whoever therefore rejects the forces of evil and believes in God, he has taken hold of a support most unfailing, which shall never give way, for God is All Hearing and Knowing.

6:107 Yet if God had so willed, they would not have ascribed Divinity to aught besides him; hence, We have not made you their keeper, nor are you (of your own choice) a guardian over them.

Please forgive my intrusion, I mean no disrespect or intend offense. Just making the point.

Allah knows best.

linwood

Judgement Day said:
Joke

Such political point needs to be accountable.
The irony is JD that the reaction of Muslims to these cartoons has verifed their insinuation.

Their intent has been verified by the very actions of those who want them held accountable.

EiNsTeiN

Boo-h!
Well....I said my openion before, but no one seemd to comment on it...

Anyway, to non- muslim brothers, these cartoons may not be jokes, but they are effecting the the view of Islam to western people...

Our respond is not wise, but we need to talk and defend ourselves from this attacks....
Now most of western people are suspicious from any muslim, think we are all terrorists, and we are trying very hard to erase this character from their minds....But these cartoons have totally an opposite effect which distroys all our efforts....

People used to be attrackted to graphical methods more than text or or vocal methods....thats how these cartoons were meant to distroy all our efforts...although the cartoonist seems to be ignorant, but he should have known this is a disrespect to lots of muslims worldwide...they should have apologized soon....

They did, but what about puplishing the pictures in many other newspaper?....Does this seems to be normal?...this is an obvious accuse for Islam more than mocking...

We muslims need to defend our religion, by clearing the misunderstood points missed by western people....

But I totally disagree with the violant actions some muslims done

flysky

jamaesi said:
Then I'd shrug it off and ignore them. Why bother with ignorant people- it only makes you look ignorant yourself.

Don't you think the ridiculous reaction to these cartoons has tarnished Islam more than the cartoons themselves? Let the cartoons be published- and let Muslims educate each other.
The my friend you don't know the real meaning of LOVE. If you follow every footstep of a person and love that person more than your life then you will understand. By the way, do you know about Prophet Muhammed (PBUH)?

linwood

EiNsTeiN said:
Anyway, to non- muslim brothers, these cartoons may not be jokes, but they are effecting the the view of Islam to western people...
But they really aren`t.

Westerners know to take them for what they are, an opinion.
We see everything parodied here, our most sacred thoughts, objects, and beliefs are often held up for ridicule regularly by ourselves.

What is effecting the view of the west is the violence, we cannot understand getting so upset over a cartoon as to resort to violence.
This is alien to us for the most part.
The part of our society who would do this is the part we seek to seperate from ourselves.
It is unacceptable here.

These cartoons have become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Smoke

Done here.
Judgement Day said:
Oh and please dont use the word "Force", it is offensive.
Force is exactly what the protesters are demanding. They demand that Western governments punish those who offend their sensibilities. I agree that it's very offensive.