• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Case for a Government Monopoly on Prostitution

Do you favor government monopoly of prostitution and licensing of johns?

• I favor both government monopoly and john licensing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I favor the current system, such as it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alceste

Vagabond
Plenty of crown corporations make money. Canada Post made $95 million in 2012. The Liquor Control Board of Ontario (which is probably the closest comparator we have to what Sunstone is suggesting) makes nearly $2 billion per year for the Ontario government.

Likewise, BC's booze hustling activities netted almost a billion dollars last year - 2.6% higher than their target. That's despite paying their unionized shop clerks significantly higher wages and better benefits than the employees of private liquor stores.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I would like to propose that the government monopolize prostitution by legalizing prostitution in government run bordellos, but outlawing it outside of those bordellos.

Laws could be written so that the prostitutes received the lion's share of their earnings -- perhaps as high as 70% or 80% of their fees in the form of salaries, medical and dental benefits, paid vacations, retirement funds, and so forth. The rest could go to overhead.

Beyond the fees themselves, taxes could be imposed on top of the fees.

In addition to the obvious regulations and laws that would require prostitutes to take weekly drug and STD tests, etc., johns could licensed. That is, in order for a john to use the services, he or she would need to produce an ID and license that could be swapped through an electronic device to make sure it was valid. If he or she abused a prostitute they could have their license revoked and face criminal and civil sanctions -- such as imprisonment, fines, law suites to recover damages, etc.

The details, of course, could vary, but that's the basic plan. Why or why not is this idea totally brilliant?

If such a plan were implemented, the biggest change I could foresee happening is government officials and bureacrats getting a lot more free blowjobs. I suspect the inherent inefficiency, disorganization, and general inertial mishmash of bureaucratically-run programs and systems would result in the government's actual share being pretty much the same as what pimps take now. So you'd probably just end up trading one pimp for another - one with grills and a Cadillac, for one with a JCPenney pantsuit and a mirthless outlook on life. Only, you'd probably have to spend a lot more time in DMV-like offices, filling out lengthy forms.

Wherenextcolumbus

If such a plan were implemented, the biggest change I could foresee happening is government officials and bureacrats getting a lot more free blowjobs. I suspect the inherent inefficiency, disorganization, and general inertial mishmash of bureaucratically-run programs and systems would result in the government's actual share being pretty much the same as what pimps take now. So you'd probably just end up trading one pimp for another - one with grills and a Cadillac, for one with a JCPenney pantsuit and a mirthless outlook on life. Only, you'd probably have to spend a lot more time in DMV-like offices, filling out lengthy forms.

Yeah this would be my concern, the government benefiting from it.

Alceste

Vagabond

You could look at it this way - government run booze and drugs outfits and bordellos are the ultimate consumption-based revenue source. Conservatives claim to love that sort of thing. They offer the opportunity to raise billions in revenue, which can save taxpayers lots of dough on their pay cheque. Getting the government into the hugely profitable business of immorality sales is perfect. The new government revenue is being derived from practices no Bible-thumping right wing voter is ever likely to defend, and no free market propaganda outfit is ever likely to use as an example to support their ideology.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well yes, but I don't think it's right for the government to take a cut of the earnings.
Would taxpayers foot the bill for facilities, management, advertising, etc?
Or would the gals pay government rent?
Certainly the workers would pay taxes on their earnings?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Well yes, but I don't think it's right for the government to take a cut of the earnings.

I suppose such a program would need funds in order to cover the overhead of administering and running such a scheme. However, bureacracy does have a tendency to overspend while not performing its function.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I suppose such a program would need funds in order to cover the overhead of administering and running such a scheme. However, bureacracy does have a tendency to overspend while not performing its function.

I think it would be fairly easy to mandate that the prostitutes themselves receive the lion's share of their fees in one form of compensation or another. Any profits could go to education.

4consideration

Premium Member
I would support legalized prostitution, with governmental regulation -- but not government involvement, running or owning the facilities, etc. It could be treated as any other trade, with certain medical and safety aspects addressed.

However, there might be a nifty little upside to it. (That's a sarcastic nifty.) If there were government run brothels, all those college students that may soon be defaulting on their student loans and/or planning to participate in any work programs associated with paying off federally controlled student loans, could likely find themselves qualified for and perhaps placed in a position the government would have plenty of openings for. That might help our economy, but I wouldn't support it.

I can just see the political slogans now. :D

Alceste

Vagabond

Government-run corporations generally reinvest their take into whatever business they're running. For the workers, that means safer working conditions, better facilities, higher pay, better benefits, etc. For something like this, where most of the employees would be adult victims of childhood abuse, I could see access to counseling, higher education and job counseling being a few of the things being a public sector whore might include.

Hell, I'm tempted to take on this project myself. Lol. Maybe my whore friend wants to help. Prostitution was just decriminalized in Canada.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hell, I'm tempted to take on this project myself. Lol. Maybe my whore friend wants to help. Prostitution was just decriminalized in Canada.
When this happened I remember going on at some length about possible commercials that could be done. Hilarious doesn't even come close to describing how wonderful some of the lines could be. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When this happened I remember going on at some length about possible commercials that could be done. Hilarious doesn't even come close to describing how wonderful some of the lines could be. :D
Fast food slogans would easily apply....
- Home of the Whopper (Burger King)
- Have it your way (Burger King)
- I'm love'n it (McD)
- Finger lick'n good (KFC)
- Do something different (Dairy Queen)
- Big pieces, little prices (Church's Chicken)

4consideration

Premium Member
Fast food slogans would easily apply....
- Home of the Whopper (Burger King)
- Have it your way (Burger King)
- I'm love'n it (McD)
- Finger lick'n good (KFC)
- Do something different (Dairy Queen)
- Big pieces, little prices (Church's Chicken)

We could still use the Uncle Sam Wants You posters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We could still use the Uncle Sam Wants You posters.
Ya know.....now that I think of it, Uncle Sam does dress like a pimp.
All we need is a caption.....
R90348

And for a more multi-cultural appeal.....
l.jpg

4consideration

Premium Member
Ya know.....now that I think of it, Uncle Sam does dress like a pimp.
All we need is a caption.....

How about (instead of "a chicken in every pot") we go with something like, we're on the road to being a nation where every adult in the nation has a college degree...do your part to help us get there...don't worry about the cost...we'll let you work it off!"

"Do I hear Ivy League anyone?"

freethinker44

How about (instead of "a chicken in every pot") we go with something like, we're on the road to being a nation where every adult in the nation has a college degree...do your part to help us get there...don't worry about the cost...we'll let you work it off!"

"Do I hear Ivy League anyone?"

I would totally pay for college with sex if I could. It's got to be easier than joining the army, probably get screwed less too. ;)